VOLTAGE STABILIZER - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
VOLTAGE STABILIZER
Monday, February 15, 2010 4:40 PM
do the VOLTAGE STABILIZER do anything????

Re: VOLTAGE STABILIZER
Monday, February 15, 2010 6:26 PM
link to wtf it is you're talking about?

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Monday, February 15, 2010 6:34 PM
you already have one, its the voltage regulator in the back of your alternator. As long as your charging/electrical system is working normally you dont need another one.

Monday, February 15, 2010 6:46 PM
Brad (flatblackfire) wrote:link to wtf it is you're talking about?

It seems all these things consist of are a bunch of capacitors; probably something like half a farad.They say to put these in series with the battery, so it would effectively be in parallel with the rest of the cars components. Here's what its supposed to do (from a theory perspective):
What we know to be true is that voltage across a capacitor can NOT change instantaneously. So yes, technically it will keep the voltage that each component in the circuit sees ''stable'' since v1=v2=...=v for components in parallel.

Whether they actually work for anything or not is debatable. My vote would be probably not.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, February 15, 2010 6:57 PM
Now that I think about it more, capacitors are also used in-line to reduce signal noise. I don't know much about this topic, but it's a thought. I suppose it could help for inginition noise on the stereo or something like that. Could be another benefit...maybe.

"In Oldskool we trust"
Monday, February 15, 2010 7:23 PM
Its called having a good alternator. Any kind of capacitor will only charge at whatever the voltage in the system is.

Monday, February 15, 2010 8:26 PM
TheSundownFire (JBO Chat) wrote:Its called having a good alternator. Any kind of capacitor will only charge at whatever the voltage in the system is.

I think you missed the point...

- Your not-so-local, untrained, uncertified, backyard mechanic. But my @!#$ runs
Monday, February 15, 2010 8:57 PM
oh bc i seen something on ebay a voltage satbilizer hp one tha you hook up to the bat idk i was just wondering
Monday, February 15, 2010 10:19 PM
completely pointless. on ANY vehicle. as is a cap in 90% of stereo systems. if you have good wiring/good alt, these "voltage stabilizer" won't do jack @!#$.

JBO Stickers are back!!!! Click Me!!
Tuesday, February 16, 2010 4:06 AM
Big 3 upgrade > voltage stabalizer.

I've seen those on ebay before they claim to giv your car 5-10hp by improving the eletrical signal blah blah blah... The only reason I would use one would be if you had alot of @!#$ to ground and you wanted it to look fancy. Otherwise just upgrade the big 3 and make sure your alternator is working properly.

Ryan could be on to something with the electrical noise thing, but moving your grounds can usually fix that.

Help support the JBO! CLICK HERE!
Tuesday, February 16, 2010 7:23 AM
frank fahey wrote:oh bc i seen something on ebay a voltage satbilizer hp one tha you hook up to the bat idk i was just wondering

it's been said before, and i'll say it again. don't have kids.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:18 PM
Does anyone realize that a capacitor really doesn't do much on direct current?

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 2:34 PM
SHOoff wrote:Does anyone realize that a capacitor really doesn't do much on direct current?

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 4:04 PM
SHOoff wrote:Does anyone realize that a capacitor really doesn't do much on direct current?

You're assuming no load, or a static load (like a resistor) in steady state, when, in fact you have hundreds of transistors switching, an inductive current source (alternator), spark plugs firing, among others (especially if you have a high load audio system). It's not a pure DC waveform at ALL times. A capacitor would help reject these transcient responses.

I have no signiture
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 7:39 PM
The more contact I have with humans, the more I learn...

My wife's 2003 Ecotec 2.2 liter Sunfire:
* 2 1/4 inch in and dual 2 inch out muffler Trans Am muffler
* 2 1/4 piping to a very long 2 1/4 inch resonator
* 2 1/4 inch catalytic converter
* an AEM true cold air intake NOPI edition
* 8 gauge ground wire kit
* Toyz front strut brace
* Russell stainless steel brake lines all around.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search