And the build begins! - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
And the build begins!
Tuesday, February 16, 2010 6:52 PM
So I finally got the motor out of the car and got the bore measured so I could determine if the wiseco pistons would work. Apparently when I had my motor rebuilt a few years ago they were able to maintain the stock bore so I went with the wiseco 0.020" overbore 9:1. Anyways, I am going to contine to add to this as my progress continues and I get pictures of my build. I just put in my order to TTR of a so hopefully USPS will be sending me almost $2000 worth of parts in a few weeks . Anyways, this is what is on the way for my motor:

- TTR bronze valve guides
- Cometic 0.030" head gasket
- Melling oil pump
- TTR Stainless steel racing valves (stock size)
- Fel Pro complete engine gasket set
- Eagle rods
- Wiseco 9:1 CR 0.020" overbore

I have the secret cams on the way as well as a HO intake manifold, ARP main studs, ARP head studs, and phenolic adapter. So I guess my next order of buisness is to get a new water pump (as I was informed my old one had been leaking a bit). Ordering my intercooler soon and then I just have a few major parts left - turbo, tial wastegate + bov, turbo manifold. After that its pretty much odds and ends and whatever the shop rebuilding the motor determines I should replace since its apart. Anyways, I was pretty excited about this and needed to share it to people that are into j-bodys (my dad finds it hard to follow me ). Anyways, I'll post any progress and hopefully by april I will have some dyno numbers.

Re: And the build begins!
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:15 AM
nice
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 11:36 AM
Alright man, great update. Just wondering how come your goin with Secret cams? I thought I read you were gonna do the HO's?

Also, why not do the 2.3 pump swap, especially being turbo? I really regret not doing that on my first build.

Good choice on the pistons and Cometic. I have the same exact setup. My final CR is 9.2:1 with that setup

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:10 PM
My goals are 300whp and I will get that no problem on the secret cams, probably would have been able to do it with the stock cams. As for the oil pump, I felt it wasn't worth the money as I am only reving to 6600, which is what I have been reving to for a few years now and I have never had a problem and when they pulled my motor apart they said there was no abnormal wear on it. So I figure if I'm reving no higher than what I have been in the past and since the melling is a little better than the stock one (which has almost 200,000kms) I'd just save the money and go with the melling. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with the car this winter because I wanted to buy a new car but some things in life changed and so I had to stick with a new motor. Once I get a better clutch I will be shooting for more power but I'll have to wait and see cause an extra 100whp on what I had before is gonna be a lot of fun I think.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:15 PM
no offense but ANY LD9 should have the 2.3 oil pump swap done, its not just for performance man. its to keep a nice supply of oil for the engine.

take my dad's 2000 z24 for example, just started knocking today. its a bone stock daily driver that he never beats on. motor has 150,000.

my wife's 2000 z24, bone stock, knocking at 109,000 miles.

the LD9 oiling system sucks.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:28 PM
Yea i was gonna say, even 300 hp on a stock LD9 oiling system is pushing it. You gotta understand, if you wanna use that 300hp at the track you will need the oil to keep up with that much power. I understand if money is an issue and you dont wanna take the time to do the 2.3 but it will be worth it in the long run. You don't wanna F up those nice parts your installing just because the oiling sucks.

Just trying to give ya some advice seeing I was there 2 years ago when my engine blew. It didn't blow because of the oil, it was another issue. But at the same time I was only seeing about 15-20 psi under accelleration with the stock, aka JBP oil pump. At idle my oil psi was only about 10.

But im excited about your build, keep us updated.

306 TQ
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:30 PM
Well I put 75,000kms on my motor since I had it built and I have never had any issues with it. If I get another 75,000kms out of my car that would be the most if would ever see the rest of its life. This is not my dream car, but rather something fun to drive for another year or 2 until I get a vette. Everyone has their own opinions and stuff, but I'll take my chances. My car is only driven for 4-5 months of the year and may get 10,000kms a year now. Plus I have a truck and a civic incase it does decide to blow, but I'm not worried about that. Everything can be rebuilt.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:33 PM
Nice! Good luck with the build

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:34 PM

"Straight roads are for fast cars, turns are for fast drivers"-Colin McRae
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:39 PM
Matthew Jollymore wrote: Everything can be rebuilt.

well i guess if money is of no object then sure.

personally, i think your making a mistake, but... your car, your money.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010 12:51 PM
Matthew Jollymore wrote:Well I put 75,000kms on my motor since I had it built and I have never had any issues with it.

That may be true, but your car has never seen the HP that your wanting to put in it either.

Good luck man, i'm still a fan.

306 TQ
Wednesday, February 17, 2010 5:00 PM
$2000 in parts and the 2.3 oil pump isn't one of them..........what the ____!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search