another msd thread - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
another msd thread
Monday, February 22, 2010 8:06 PM
ok guys... i have used the forum search and looked this up, but still have questions

msd systems... i read that the stock coils are good for up to 400hp, and i know whith my blower and cam set up i will not get close to that. i do, however, want the better burn of a ignition system. what all would i need to install a new set up that will help? i have seen the rodimus prime website w/o pics and the write up pj did on ecotecforum i just want to make sure what i need and buy will be right for what i am trying to do.

thanks in advance !

~DVST8R~ aka ThaCaviKid
Nitrous is like wanting to have sex with a hot chick that has an STD... you wanna hit it,
but you are afraid of the consequences

Re: another msd thread
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 6:28 AM
IIRC, all you need are the MSD coils, the interface blocks that they sit in, and spark plug wires. The rest involves some wiring. That's pretty much it.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Wednesday, February 24, 2010 10:10 PM
Cursed Cav wrote:IIRC, all you need are the MSD coils, the interface blocks that they sit in, and spark plug wires. The rest involves some wiring. That's pretty much it.

Yes, you do. Why? Because the MSD coils are designed to work with the system!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:18 AM
I know...I have the setup in my car.

2010 Subaru Impreza WRX Limited
1999 Cavalier Z24 Supercharged
1999 Grand AM SE (Beater Car)
1997 GMC Sierra
2007 Honda CBR 600RR
2005 Honda TRX450R
Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:33 AM
Cursed Cav wrote:IIRC, all you need are the MSD coils, the interface blocks that they sit in, and spark plug wires. The rest involves some wiring. That's pretty much it.

This is the set up in the turbo car and its putting down 440 hp, with no box, stock icm...

Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:36 AM
This is for the LD9.....

Picture should read.....Part No. 8224 not 8824.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, February 25, 2010 7:37 AM
Attachments
LD9toLN2coils.jpg (43k)

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:18 PM
what kind of gains can be seen with a properly installed ignition coil setup ? is it worth the $$$$$?
Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:40 PM
Probably not much in actual hp gains but in keeping the spark there under boost without worrying about your spark extinguishing because of the boost pressures and not having enough spark energy.
Having the MSD ignition box along with the coils probably helps this and lets you run a larger gap too.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:54 PM
I have a used MSD DIS2 and the gm coils and adapter blocks for sale... I'm just saying

Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:52 PM
^ God I wish I had the money for that... I ran a full system on my '88 Ramcharger w/Champion truck plugs gapped to factory specs, and got a 20% increase in mileage out of an otherwise all-stock TBI V-8/3-spd auto 4WD 1/2-ton SUV. By keeping them at the factory gap requirement, I got 30,000mi out of a set of plugs while running the system before needing to pull them. One wonders how much of a gain would be had on a 2.2L SFI-DIS/4-spd auto S-truck with the full system & E3's, that's already getting 23.5mpg just running E3 plugs.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 11:24 PM

do you have a guide for the wiring? what kind of tuning is involved ? or could i do the install and then just start driving?

~DVST8R~ aka ThaCaviKid
Nitrous is like wanting to have sex with a hot chick that has an STD... you wanna hit it,

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:05 AM
MD already posted a wiring diagram...

Just wire them in and go...

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 8:57 AM
the guide was said to be a LD9 wiring guide, so i was just wondering. thanks for the help. i ordered the coils an hour ago and will be ordering the blocks and wires next week. will be nice to have it installed before the blower is in.

~DVST8R~ aka ThaCaviKid

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 10:37 AM
Does anyone know if we can use the msd 8871 interface modules with the 8224 coils? Ive seen the 8870 interface used, not sure how the 8871 interfaces differ. Ive found them to be a bit cheaper and look very similar, jus not sure if the coils mount fine and the wiring is the same?

Monday, March 08, 2010 3:49 PM
Soo does anyone know anything about these? Are they actual interface modules or like an add-on for the modules and coils for more spark? Cheap as hell, if they are just an add-on piece would they be worth the price? Never heard anything about them was wondering maybe someone else has.

Heres a link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330390772460&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fmotors.shop.ebay.com%3A80%2F__%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp4712.m39.l1313%26_nkw%3D33039077246 0%26_sacat%3D%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Monday, March 08, 2010 10:07 PM
That just allows the box to interface with the coils... It goes between the ICM & the MSD coils. Then the wires are connected to the box.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, March 09, 2010 8:56 PM
~DVST8R~ aka ThaCaviKid wrote:the guide was said to be a LD9 wiring guide, so i was just wondering. thanks for the help. i ordered the coils an hour ago and will be ordering the blocks and wires next week. will be nice to have it installed before the blower is in.

~DVST8R~ aka ThaCaviKid

Saturday, March 27, 2010 10:53 AM
anyone have pics of their MSD set-ups on their eco's?

~DVST8R~ aka ThaCaviKid

Monday, March 29, 2010 1:03 PM
ya I just was playing around with it on my eco. it seems with the eco having compression sensing signal for cam postion it is hard to wire it up. cause if you use the black trigger wire to be the sensor signal it reads very slor compared to the factory and if you disconnect it readys even slower. it runs though and you really could tell it . I had to use a Tech2 to visually see what each install does.

but pj did the install with the dis-2 box and has it all in the how to topic at ecotecforum.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search