Back Pressure - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Back Pressure
Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:05 AM
How can i cheaply create more back pressure on 96' 2.2 Cavalier?

Chevy - Love or Hate

Re: Back Pressure
Saturday, February 27, 2010 9:11 AM
why

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Saturday, February 27, 2010 10:29 AM
very much why? backpressure is BAD.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:19 AM
this is a first for me, normally people want to reduce backpreasure.

I miss my Sunfire, I want it back!
MMMM, HIDs
You will be missed.
Saturday, February 27, 2010 11:57 AM
Answer the question guys....

stuff a rag in the muffler.

cheep and easy.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:03 PM
i was gonna say a potato or banana.

I miss my Sunfire, I want it back!
MMMM, HIDs
You will be missed.
Saturday, February 27, 2010 12:16 PM
Here is a post I made in another thread:

Wagonwes wrote:It is true that there is no such thing as too little back-pressure. However, if you eliminate back-pressure, you usually lose exhaust gas velocity. When you lose velocity you lose the scavenging effect.

In a perfect world you would have an infinitely small amount of back-pressure, and an infinitely fast exhaust gas velocity. This is part of the reason why people wrap their exhausts. It is not necessarily to keep under hood temps down (although that is a plus), it is to raise velocity. Hot air weighs less than cold air, so it moves quicker.

As an example of this: when Joe Shmoe puts a 4 inch cat back on his civic and complains that he lost power, it isn't because he lost back-pressure. It is because he los exhaust VELOCITY.

It really comes down to what you want your car to do. There is such a thing as too large of an exhaust, or too little exhaust velocity for a given application.

So, you don't want to gain back-pressure, you want to gain velocity. Your best bet would be to keep the stock exhaust if you want all your torque down low. However, it WILL choke out on the top end, and therefore be slower overall.
Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:44 PM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:Answer the question guys....

stuff a rag in the muffler.

cheep and easy.

Chris

Jack the car up on the exhaust pipe, dont have to buy a rag.

Monday, March 01, 2010 10:36 AM
go to lowes and get a fence post cap. hammer that ish on, and enjoy your 100%backpressure.

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Monday, March 01, 2010 11:15 PM
Im looking at getting more of a crackling sound outta the ricer muffler im questioning for a buddy

Chevy - Love or Hate
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:33 PM
That crackle you hear is usually unburned fuel in the exhaust lighting-off as it mixes with outside air that gets sucked-in between the pulses when the engine is winding-down after the throttle is snapped shut... It'll happen on any car running a straight-through exhaust with a rich fuel mixture. Glass-packed carb'd engines do it naturally, and I'll admit... it does sound cool. But on a 4-cyl with a fart-can, which already produces the most annoying exhaust-note known to man, it'll make the car sound even more obnoxious. At with point you might as well add a ludicrously powerful audio system made of nothing but sub-woofers, and continuously play a track of random low-level bass notes everywhere you drive. Geez....

Go beyond the "bolt-on".

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search