Narrow band AF Gauge question - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Narrow band AF Gauge question
Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:05 PM
Ok, so i sarched for the last 10 minutes and found lots of info but no clear answer to my question. I'm lookin for a specific answer to what EXACTLY i connect the wire from my AF gauge to. If anyone has pics that'd be great. Also, is there a wire coming off the pcm i can hook it to? cuz apparently thats where it leads anyway.

Re: Narrow band AF Gauge question
Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:07 PM
purple wire on your upstream o2 sensor.

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:22 PM
for a narrowband you can connect it to the trash can, narrowbands are pointless.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:01 PM
they arent point less. thats a bit to far. they can deffinetly provide a ton of information, if your trying to just keep an eye on your car. Theres little it can do for boost other then act as a waring lable. but its not point less.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"
Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:03 PM
ya, im not boosting, i just got it to fill a gauge spot and would like it to do somethin lol. I got it wired up, but it seems to be a bit wonky, is it supposed to bounce back and forth at idle?

Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:16 PM
It should sweep back and forth from rich to lean (250mV to 750mV or something like that).
Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:30 PM
if you have a clamp on type amp meter you can source the o2 wire at the computer harness plug in .
Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:45 PM
Locate your O2 sensor on your exhaust manifold and follow it up to where you can get access to it.
It should be a purple wire that you can tie into.

And a narrow band can tell you if the O2 sensor is working properly.
If over time you see that the gauge isn't working as fast as it was, most likely your O2 sensor is probably going out.
This happened to me and when the driveability of the car became worse, I'd noticed that the a/f gauge stopped moving around and was stuck in one position.
That was an indication that the O2 sensor died which it what it turned out to be.

So it is a helpful tool for the car and good luck with the install.

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Sunday, February 28, 2010 5:38 PM
Dan Cummings wrote:ya, im not boosting, i just got it to fill a gauge spot and would like it to do somethin lol. I got it wired up, but it seems to be a bit wonky, is it supposed to bounce back and forth at idle?

Yes. When the engine is cold you might see it stay on the rich side for a bit. I'll bounce when you're at cruise too. But when you floor the gas, it should go over to rich.

i find it amusing that SHOoff has nothing better to do but follow me around & be an unhelpful dick in even cross-forum. - Jon Mick
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 7:10 PM
The GM single-wire EGOS is actually a voltage-generator, producing 0-1v in the presence of oxygen (Higher for more, lower for less (IIRC...)). The ECM reads this & reacts to it once the engine has reached full operating-temperature, cycling the fuel-flow controlling pulse-width back-&-forth several times a second in an effort to maintain a voltage that indicates the emissions & mileage friendly ideal of 14.7:1. A sweep of 0.3-0.9 is common with 0.7 being the ideal, or "Lambda" (Greek for "Peak of perfection"), which was Bosch's name for this new variation of their Jetronic system when they introduced it in 1977... as option in new-model Volvos.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search