Do cold airs really make a difference? - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Do cold airs really make a difference?
Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:16 PM
Before I ever even THINK about spending money on a cold air intake, I want to know this. With the 2.2L, would I see even a HINT of a difference. At all. I'm not going to sacrifice engine longevity (because we all know, that foam filters are not nearly as effective at filtering as a paper filter is) for a 1/2HP, difference. Note right now I am running the stock intake with a MANN paper filter. Sure they look cool, but I can't imagine that they would really improve performance much, if at all. I am doubtful unless you have an engine that needs a LOT of air (like a big V8, or a diesel) these make the slightest bit of difference.

Re: Do cold airs really make a difference?
Saturday, February 27, 2010 3:23 PM
they do make a difference. there are dyno sheets that prove it. but if you're too cheap to spend 50 dollars for an intake then car modding probly is'nt for you anyway.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:10 PM
defffinately a good difference. my 02 cavalier with the 2.2L ECOTEC has a cold air intake. my 04 stockdoesnt have one. my 02 deffinately gets up alot quicker. and i seem to get 2-3 mpg more with the 02. plus it gives it a better sound through high RPM's

"A goal without a plan is just a wish"
Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:23 PM
blucavvy wrote:they do make a difference. there are dyno sheets that prove it. but if you're too cheap to spend 50 dollars for an intake then car modding probly is'nt for you anyway.

$50? HAH
If I was going to get one, would be a quality one, made in USA

http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1159&idcategory=392
Saturday, February 27, 2010 4:38 PM
you can check out KNN's website and they tell you how much HP you can expect to gain, its not going to be more than 5-8HP but they are worth it IMO

Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:11 PM
its more for throttle response then anything else, that you WILL notice.. you will obviously gain some hp over the stock restrictive airbox, more air = more hp.. the 5-10 claim is probably about right, every car will be different depending on how restrictive the stock setup is..
Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:19 PM
Sorry but its not going to be 5-8hp. It will sound better and make you think its faster then it really is.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 5:36 PM
umm.. there are dyno sheets flying all over the internet that prove otherwise.. like i said, every car is different and i cant find a result for a j-body.. but the 5-10hp claim for a CAI has been proven on at least some applications.. and the improved throttle response isnt imaginary.. at least i dont think! LOL

The setup of the airbox on j-bodies isnt the worst i've seen, but im sure you'll see a gain nonetheless.. its a basic principle, more air = more power... obviously a straight 3" tube with an exposed conical truck filter will flow much better then the stock maze of plastic boxes that you normally find under the hood of most cars.. lol
Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:01 PM
all you'll ever need to know about intakes for ANY car.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:18 PM

JBO Stickers! Get yours today!
Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:02 PM
link is dead
Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:10 PM
Rich Grayo Jr. wrote:all you'll ever need to know about intakes for ANY car.

The message you requested could not be retrieved. The message may have been deleted, or the forums may be experiencing technical difficulties. We apologize for the inconvenience.

Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:18 PM
Saturday, February 27, 2010 6:42 PM
Nick wrote:Before I ever even THINK about spending money on a cold air intake, I want to know this. With the 2.2L, would I see even a HINT of a difference. At all. I'm not going to sacrifice engine longevity (because we all know, that foam filters are not nearly as effective at filtering as a paper filter is) for a 1/2HP, difference. Note right now I am running the stock intake with a MANN paper filter. Sure they look cool, but I can't imagine that they would really improve performance much, if at all. I am doubtful unless you have an engine that needs a LOT of air (like a big V8, or a diesel) these make the slightest bit of difference.

reallly... before you even think about thinking about getting an intake, you should think about where you want to go with the motor.

the LN2 (2.2 OHV) motor in your cavalier runs about 90ish WHP with the auto and about 100 with the manual.

It takes a bit of money to make the motor near as fast as the Eco and as the LD9 comes stock.

Doing a cold air intake removes the stock intake noise restrictor, and allows cooler air in to hit the piston... both will increase power... but by itself as a mod, you won't see much.

Further, between a K&N style filter vs a paper filter. You will not see any difference in engine longevity.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:17 AM
GME Chat User: Speedline02 wrote:
Nick wrote:Before I ever even THINK about spending money on a cold air intake, I want to know this. With the 2.2L, would I see even a HINT of a difference. At all. I'm not going to sacrifice engine longevity (because we all know, that foam filters are not nearly as effective at filtering as a paper filter is) for a 1/2HP, difference. Note right now I am running the stock intake with a MANN paper filter. Sure they look cool, but I can't imagine that they would really improve performance much, if at all. I am doubtful unless you have an engine that needs a LOT of air (like a big V8, or a diesel) these make the slightest bit of difference.

reallly... before you even think about thinking about getting an intake, you should think about where you want to go with the motor.

the LN2 (2.2 OHV) motor in your cavalier runs about 90ish WHP with the auto and about 100 with the manual.

It takes a bit of money to make the motor near as fast as the Eco and as the LD9 comes stock.

Doing a cold air intake removes the stock intake noise restrictor, and allows cooler air in to hit the piston... both will increase power... but by itself as a mod, you won't see much.

Further, between a K&N style filter vs a paper filter. You will not see any difference in engine longevity.

Perhaps not, but it is no secret that oiled gauze filters, such as K&N do not filter nearly as well as a paper filter. But that is beside the point. If I wanted to get the 0-60 down to say, 10, 10.5 seconds (11.3 now). What could I do that would not require tearing the engine apart. (Other than new rocker arms). I know spark plugs really have no impact on performance, but the OE plugs were replaced with NGK V-Power Coppers about 5k miles ago.
Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:58 AM
With our cars, The intake really doesn't offer much at all.

Get some tubing and the proper bends, couplers, clamps, and a filter.

It will work just as well as the $300 AEM. Still cost around $50, And be "made in the USA".

Happy?

Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:19 AM
Nick wrote:
GME Chat User: Speedline02 wrote:

Perhaps not, but it is no secret that oiled gauze filters, such as K&N do not filter nearly as well as a paper filter. But that is beside the point. If I wanted to get the 0-60 down to say, 10, 10.5 seconds (11.3 now). What could I do that would not require tearing the engine apart. (Other than new rocker arms). I know spark plugs really have no impact on performance, but the OE plugs were replaced with NGK V-Power Coppers about 5k miles ago.

there are a couple different options... you could try a full exhaust, header to high flow cat, out to a high flow muffler, and run 2.25" piping. that may help you... but if you dont think that will be enough, you can try forced induction. i don't beleive they have a supercharger setup with the LN2, but you could run a small turbo. up to about 8 PSI without having to forge the internals. You also shouldn't see much turbo lag because of it being a small turbo.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 8:55 AM
Unless you deal with the bottleneck in the 2.2s head you arent going to see any gains.

Sunday, February 28, 2010 12:51 PM
Or you can just take out the resonator out of the front bumper that what i did to my 04 eco and put the oem replacement k&n filter in the box feels better and you can hear it on the road too.
Monday, March 01, 2010 12:15 AM
Of course a cold air intake makes a difference. Not a big one, but it will help. You see, colder air is more dense than warm air. This means you're cramming more air particles into your engine than before. Another helpful bit is the circumference of the filter element, and the composition of the filter. Most cone filters have a larger total circumference of filter media, which allows more air to flow in naturally. Paper is a great filtration media, but as a result, creates poor airflow (because the more particles it was designed to block, the less air particles will get through), so alternative media types like cotton gauze and aluminum mesh, or foam or any other media types used by aftermarket intake companies tend to let the engine breathe better. Despite the fact that it lets more particles into the engine, the difference in filtration is a rather moot point. The final piece of the puzzle is the aluminum itself. While all metals absorb heat, aluminum dissipates heat very quickly. The inside of the tube is also much smoother than your stock rubber tubing, which is usually ribbed, and therefore causes turbulence in the air being rushed into the throttle body and eventually the combustion chambers, resulting in a minor decrease in airflow.

I hope this over-answers your question.

2010 Honda Fit LX
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 6:43 PM
^Not bad... You really hit on some key points. But you forgot one thing: It's not just a matter of what kind of air you're feeding to the engine... But how you're initially feeding it to the engine. This is why I argue the very valid strengths of FAI (Fresh-Air Intake...Or as it's more commonly known as: Ram-Air) systems.

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Tuesday, March 02, 2010 8:53 PM
Nick wrote:
blucavvy wrote:they do make a difference. there are dyno sheets that prove it. but if you're too cheap to spend 50 dollars for an intake then car modding probly is'nt for you anyway.

$50? HAH
If I was going to get one, would be a quality one, made in USA

http://www.turbotechracing.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=1159&idcategory=392

$50 ?? yea for a universal one...you gotta get one that is worth it.. and the only one that i know or could find that is worth your money is an AEM cold air intake...i can definately tell the difference and trust me i have went through about 4 different intake systems before getting this one..and i really like it...

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 5:27 AM
^^ thats exactly what companies like AEM are counting on, afterall.. they managed to get you to pay $300 for a $10 hollow tube and a $40 filter..

Im sure after spending that kind of money, the improvement is likely in your head... no offence

People need to look into the basic principle involved... ANY intake system you buy will be better then stock, But they are all the same!! the only thing that matters at all is location and type of filter... What piece of engineering genius do ya figure went into designing that amazing.... hollow tube..... lol

A crappy ebay intake with a K&N filter on it will give you the exact same results.. minus the flash and name brand..

imo i guess... but i'll stand by it as fact
Wednesday, March 03, 2010 6:28 AM
just go to your muffler shop and get them to mandrel bend you a full one piece intake tube thats what I did slap on a turbo style filter and your good to go

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:18 PM
just as a little 2 cents here... those 5-10hp increases are on things like mustangs and stuff where that extra air is being fed to an already powerful engine, from what ive seen, its about a 2% increase in horsepower, which on the 2.2s is about 2 hp to the wheels, eco and ld9 might see SLIGHTY more (ie, 3 or 4). Furthermore, COLD air intakes have been proven to do not much more over short rams, for the simple fact that once a car is moving, the air temperature under the hood a foot from the engine (short ram location) isnt that much hotter than in the fenderwell. Maybe sitting still, but moving, theres no difference. To make noticable power on these cars u gotta shell out the cash, get a tune, etc etc etc.

Wednesday, March 03, 2010 11:32 PM
^Actually, it's a 1% increase in power for every 10* colder the inlet air is. And FAIs makes the most power of all.... Especially while moving!

Go beyond the "bolt-on".
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search