pushing the eco rev limitH - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
pushing the eco rev limitH
Sunday, February 28, 2010 7:37 PM
so What are people pushing these days? Im curious because Ive seen some 8's and a bunch of 7's. Im wondering becuase if im not mistaken most people on here that have pushed there motor's have had sucess. Which in my mind means it has more left in it. has anyone pushed it yet to its limits? and Im talking to mainly the people running upgraded springs. because with spring rates out of the way the rotating mass becomes mainly a balance game. Now I know the lighter you make your rotating mass the higher you can rev it. But with just the basics taken care of what can you push the motor to until it comes apart.

"boobs now with Riboflabin"

Re: pushing the eco rev limitH
Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:31 PM
Anyone

Saturday, March 06, 2010 12:44 PM
7000 on stock valve train (and stock cams)
7500 with upgraded valve springs
8000+ with neutral balance shafts or balance shaft delete

Saturday, March 06, 2010 1:27 PM
oldskool wrote:7000 on stock valve train (and stock cams)

x2

I revved mine bone stock to 7000rpm all last year, ended up snapping a lifter however. This does seem like a very rare occurrence tho.

Saturday, March 06, 2010 2:52 PM
See this is what I'm talking about. I'd bet you the thing had more in it to. Revs on most application means power so if we can spin em up we increase te power. Anyone with an auto ever push it?

Saturday, March 06, 2010 3:24 PM
Where you make power is not determined by how high you can rev. I don't mean to insult your intelligence, but on a stock L61, revving to 7500 doesn't get you anywhere - power drop off is apparent.

Most of the forum agrees that a cammed L61 will require a valve spring upgrade. So yea, if your cam makes power there its totally worth bumping the limiter to 7500.

Saturday, March 06, 2010 4:05 PM

There is absolutly no need to rev a stock ecotec past 6500. Even with full bolt-ons it's useless.
My car with an intake and exhaust still only made power to 5600 and power dropped off,
With the charger before the cams and springs, I would only rev it to 6500rpm. I felt there was no reason (power wise) to rev
it past that.
Now with the cams and springs, it feels like it makes power all the way to 7k rpms (and maybe more).
It may or may not, but I don't know why everyone wants to increase the rev limit of these things so much.
It puts more stress on the engine and makes less power.

Saturday, March 06, 2010 4:11 PM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:

There is absolutly no need to rev a stock ecotec past 6500. Even with full bolt-ons it's useless.
My car with an intake and exhaust still only made power to 5600 and power dropped off,
With the charger before the cams and springs, I would only rev it to 6500rpm. I felt there was no reason (power wise) to rev
it past that.
Now with the cams and springs, it feels like it makes power all the way to 7k rpms (and maybe more).
It may or may not, but I don't know why everyone wants to increase the rev limit of these things so much.
It puts more stress on the engine and makes less power.

oldskool wrote:Where you make power is not determined by how high you can rev.

I get it. I was stating what parts need to be upgraded to rev to points past the stock rev limit.

FWIW, I feel, based on my own experience and on CED's dyno, that its worth revving past the stock red line with full bolt-ons, including the LE5 intake mani, and a good tune. Revving to 7k drops your shift right in the sweetness of the powerband.

Saturday, March 06, 2010 4:30 PM
I guess I was just stating it for the ones that think a stock eco should be revved past 6500 rpms.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search