ARP Head studs Torque Specs (ld9) - Performance Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
ARP Head studs Torque Specs (ld9)
Friday, February 19, 2010 5:44 AM
i forgot to grab the torque specs from Karo when i bought his "pieced together" arp head stud set... what are the torque specs.... i couldnt find anything on an .org search and the evil websence here at work isnt allowing me to search much elsewhere...

thanks

Re: ARP Head studs Torque Specs (ld9)
Friday, February 19, 2010 5:58 AM
75-85 ft lbs + 90 deg turn.

BUT, go in 20 ft lb increments if you know what I mean.

Hit all studs with 20 at first, then 40, then 60, then so on and so forth.

~2014 New Z under the knife, same heart different body~
306 TQ
Friday, February 19, 2010 6:15 AM
ive heard its good to wait a couple days after you do the 75 and then after its sat for that time do the 90 degree turn...

since nobody ever tears their LD9 back down to re-torque after the first heat cycle like you are supposed to i would think every bit of extra precaution should be taken.

Friday, February 19, 2010 9:48 AM
I know there's some 'stretch' involved with certain bolts but I thought that the ARP product was a product that you didn't have to worry about that with their 'controlled stretch' studs.
Any of you guru's ever do what Brad just elaborated about?

Misnblu.com
Newbie member since 1999
Thank you Dave and JBO!

Friday, February 19, 2010 9:58 AM
Yea ARP studs do not need retorqued. I don't remember how I found that out but I know that's something I looked into a couple of years ago when buying ARP. Regardless, they havent failed me and I never went back to retorque.

306 TQ
Friday, February 19, 2010 12:53 PM
I did mine in three steps till I got to 75 ft-lbs (stock gasket) or 85 ft-lbs (POS Cometic gasket). Never had any problems with leaks (75 on a Cometic was not enough and would leak for me, hence the 85 ft-lbs).

Sunday, April 01, 2012 8:10 PM
bringing this back from the dead, but why is it necessary to do a 90 degree turn after the 75-85 ft lb of torque? everyone ive explained this to including the machine shop all said that sounds insane to torque it down that much.

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Monday, April 02, 2012 4:44 AM
Dont know, thats what ARP recommends, its nothing we here made up. Ive got it written down from ARP in my paperwork from them for my studs. I don't remember if it states 90*, but I know it has 85 ft lbs on it.

306 TQ
Monday, April 02, 2012 4:59 AM
the 90 degree's is the factory specs.

Look at a haynes manual it will tell you to torque to "x" lbs and then do a extra 90 degree's.

FU Tuning

Monday, April 02, 2012 11:59 AM
right, but these aren't factory torque to yield bolts either. so wouldn't it be safe to say it shouldnt require an additional 90 after torquing to 80 ftlbs??

01' Z24 5 speed
422whp/400wtq
T4 Turbocharged
Built LD9
HP Tuners
Monday, April 02, 2012 12:23 PM
Publikdstrbnce wrote:right, but these aren't factory torque to yield bolts either. so wouldn't it be safe to say it shouldnt require an additional 90 after torquing to 80 ftlbs??

Back in the day I was told by ARP to torque to factory specs. Thats what we did with no issues.

FU Tuning

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search