Found a 185/70/13 white letter tire - First Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Found a 185/70/13 white letter tire
Saturday, October 17, 2020 6:44 AM
Upon some general searching I found a site that sells at least 1 13 inch sized tire with raised white letter.Being my current tires are over ten years old and dried out,once I get the car squared on the updates ($$$ and time) I will have to install a new set of tireshttps://www.performanceplustire.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl-bk1OC77AIVluSzCh3t0wguEAAYASAAEgIRPPD_BwE

Re: Found a 185/70/13 white letter tire
Saturday, October 17, 2020 6:45 AM
Saturday, October 17, 2020 6:47 AM
I am trying to keep my car Stock and not change the rim size or appearance.Finding a 1st gen thats for the most part unchanged today is well difficult.The only real update sunny has had is the audio side and thats it!! Thought I would share the site in case anyone is trying to keep things as OEM as possible .R HEY to everyone as well.

Saturday, October 17, 2020 11:40 AM
Galaxy Radial GT. I remember those from way way back! Like in the 70's and 80's. Lots of people ran them. I had at least one set myself on a 1973 Grand Prix. More than likely I had more than just the one set too. They were a cheaper alternative to the BFG T/A.
Saturday, October 17, 2020 6:28 PM
Good find there Ron Been looking for a new set of affordable RWL for a few years now as mine are also about ten years old and the rubber is starting to get hard. . Now running Dean Quasar white lines. I believe mine came from factory with Firestone white lines. I still have a set of Z34 rims if I feel like going away from original. Just put the Cavalier vert away today for the winter with the Mustang. I store them about 15 miles away and my wife was driving the 84 Cavalier behind me and I looked in the mirror and thought how weird the Cav looks today.

Sunday, October 18, 2020 2:32 AM
84conv wrote:I looked in the mirror and thought how weird the Cav looks today.
LOL. And here I think modern cars look weird.
Sunday, October 18, 2020 6:08 AM
Just think all Chevys looked the same from the front in the early 80's., Don't see many on the road today in the rear view..

Sunday, October 18, 2020 8:08 PM
Nice find. I'm a fan of white letters also although I ended ordering the kumho tires from 4wheelonline. Will definitely consider the galaxy radials on my next tire change.
Friday, December 18, 2020 9:23 AM
Wow , am I late to the party ...........

Unbelievable find!

I ran a set of 185/70/13's on the Pontiac for awhile but felt like they looked a bit small in the wheel wells. Eventually I went to a 175 80 13 which is narrow, but filled up the holes better. The 195/70/13's back when you could get 'em was the best compromise I thought.

Been daydreaming about getting a set of 215/70/14's for the Pontiac in raised letters. Can anyone share experiences with running these on a 1st Gen?

It was probably the best thing to do , but God I miss my Wagon. Still holdin' on to the Pontiac , '94 Sedan , and the '98 Coupe.

During the summer the high pressure fuel pump on the frame rail took a crap on the '86 Ranger and left me stranded on an entrance ramp about 8 miles from home. Was able to do a tow with the '03 B4000 and drag the old girl home for a 2nd round of new fuel pumps. Gotta say the '03 probably saved the '86 that day as I was totally frustrated that day. Had I not had the Newer truck with the 4.0 I might have just hauled away the old Ranger that day. I had a terrible year with all kinds of breakdowns and issues. Rusted fuel tanks and blown brake lines , but all is fixed and everything much better now. I can look back at it all now and appreciate the affordable parts and ease of repairs. Newer stuff just ain't so easy. I do worry about the myriad of chains buried inside the 4.0 OHC of the Mazda (Ranger Based) , so glad I don't have level of complexity on the old vehicles. If anyone has still read to this point and has any interest..... I discovered a little trick to help tighten up those chain tensioners when the engine hasn't been started for awhile. ( Mine does set more than it gets driven) . Simply hold the pedal to the floor and crank engine until the oil pressure gauge shows pressure, holding the gas pedal down shuts off the fuel injectors. Start a 2nd time and the chain tensioners have good pressure and don't slam into the chains at operating speed the moment oil pressure builds up. I'd rather have to replace a starter or battery once in awhile then need to pull the engine to replace the timing cassettes!

It is good to still see the gang here, glad your still around and VERY glad to have gotten through a very trying year - looking forward to a new year hopefully more peaceful & less stress!

Friday, December 18, 2020 4:10 PM
Some old timers still here. Just to go with your off topic Ford 4.0. I've been looking at the Rangers in that era and the timing chain/oiling issues concern me.
My other option is to go with the 150 pre 04 which I think is a better for just a dump firewood hauler.

Friday, December 18, 2020 4:53 PM
Or you could get an old S10 with a Cavalier motor, that's what I have lol.

Saturday, December 19, 2020 8:52 AM
Yeah Orlen I would Prefer what I have the 195/70 it does in my opinion handle better than the 185 which is well smaller .And John I would go with a used tacoma being I own a 2014 bought new it is a Great truck.Now I will say tacomas do not lose there Resale value by any means!!!! So if you look around you will see the used cost are still strong even for a older toyota.Just doing my routine stuff work and some mild updates to the house.I did buy a New battery charger made by dewalt.Specs are engine start at 80amps,volt meter (digital) alternator check feature,battery charger of course,polarity protection if you GOOF up hooking up the clamps to the wrong terminals,usb power port and a 120v plug in AC port.It was 99.00 at home depot.I still use my sears diehard charger plus it has a 6 and 12 volt option,2 amp up to 15 charger,and a 125amp engine jump.Its prolly 20 years old bought new wayyyyyyyyyy back.

Saturday, December 19, 2020 9:45 AM
Forgot 1 Feature my new charger will do.It reconditions a battery by sending pulses into the plates to break up stuff,I did one battery like this it took more than 12 hours.I guess it keeps it from causing a Dead cell or plate that loses it charging aspect.It literally has (recond) button on it as a choice.The LCD screen is blue I did not indicate that as well.

Saturday, December 19, 2020 3:21 PM
Wow Ron, that is a nice feature. I'd never heard of that before. That alone will probably pay for the cost of the charger, over time. Batteries are pretty expensive, so getting them to last longer is fantastic.
Friday, January 08, 2021 7:03 AM
You are so lucky to have found it.
Saturday, February 06, 2021 3:16 PM
I'm glad I logged in today and seen that. I've been looking into fixing the verts and one of them still has the correct sized 195 tires with raised letters from 2004 Great find Ron!

Monday, February 28, 2022 12:53 PM
Well it only took a year but I bought one to try it out. One of my convertibles still had the 195’s from 2004 😬😬.

I’ll say for being a bit smaller I’m fairly happy with the results.
Attachments
73E6A698-A1D0-4372-92E9-1E2217F61E6A.jpeg (4088k)
925C0009-59EE-4792-9552-0A6C63F1A963.jpeg (2458k)

Wednesday, March 09, 2022 8:17 PM
I've still got a set of wheels like these in a 14". Got so many vehicles and so many wheels - I question my sanity sometimes.

I didn't know they came in a 13" size though!

I hauled off and bought up a huge cache of tires when the stimulus came around and prices were cheap. Picked up 14 tires for under $700 off ebay.

Made some very wise purchases around the time the pandemic hit and everyone was sitting at home. I will probably never see such deals ever again!

Really enjoying these old vehicles right now. Easy on Gas + Reliable + Easy to Maintain. So glad I don't need to buy a used vehicle!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search