Window regulator roller - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Window regulator roller
Wednesday, May 29, 2019 11:44 AM
I guess no one carries this new anymore, anybody try using the Dorman part?

Or the GM part #?

Just need the snap on roller, nothing else.

Mine cracked and got flat sided, got the window back together, but it will have to stay up for now....

Thanks, Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Re: Window regulator roller
Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:06 AM
I've used the Dorman ones before. They hold up well.
Thursday, May 30, 2019 1:53 AM
Ok thanks Butch, do they snap on to the stud like the factory one or does the stud have to be taken off and the one with the nut put back on?

They show 3 different ones in the pic...

Doug in P.R

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Thursday, May 30, 2019 1:13 PM
I've never tried to take a roller off the Dorman ones. I've used the threaded one that comes in the pack of 3. However, I'd suggest using thread lock on the nut. They come with a lock washer, but I've had them come loose over time.
The other two can be used too, they peen on (best option, imo). I've done them too and it is pretty easy to do. Been a few years and hundreds of uses of the windows and they are still working perfectly.

Here is a post I made using someone else's pictures. It will show you how to install the peen on ones.
https://www.v6z24.com/jbodyforum/window-regulator-roller-install-guide-t128626.html

Quick and simple, use the nut with thread lock. Tighten easily and do not over torque the nut. The shaft is aluminum and the threaded part can break off. I know from experience
Better, longer lasting and factory like, peen them on.
Thursday, May 30, 2019 2:59 PM
Thanks Butch, you would think they would make one that just popped on the original stud...but that must be too complicated.

I'm no fan of taking out riveted door parts.

Doug in P.R.

Thursday, May 30, 2019 4:37 PM
92Sunbird PuertoRico wrote:Thanks Butch, you would think they would make one that just popped on the original stud...but that must be too complicated.

I'm no fan of taking out riveted door parts.

Doug in P.R.
Yeah, it would make things a little easier, if you could just replace the roller onto the original stud.

You should change the motors in a convertibles door windows. There are 19 1/4" rivets that hold the steel plate to the door!
Attachments
Lots of Pops.jpg (189k)

Friday, May 31, 2019 12:46 PM
Wow, that's alot....I had to change the the lift motor on my 90 Silverado, what a pain.

Had to drive 30 minutes to Advance after work at another town today, AutoZone in town here didn't have it and by the way no other Zone had it on the island!

Had to let the window down today for the trip, was too hot to leave it up. Put a garbage bag over the door for tonight, will take it in the morning.

Too tired, only 5 hours sleep, watching the NBA finals, it finished at 11:40 pm. ( Got up this morning at 4:30 am)

Doug in P.R.

Friday, May 31, 2019 9:53 PM
Shouldn't take too long to do. You have to drill out the original stud. I'm pretty sure the hole in the regulator arm will need to be enlarged for the threaded stud to go in it. Kinda messes up the hole for the peen ones. They will still work, if you ever need to use them. But I had to use a tapered punch to widen the stud for a tighter fit before I peened it down. Worked fine though, just have me worried a little. In my packs: one of the peen ones already has a small hole in it and the other doesn't. I found I needed to drill a small, shallow hole in it, to get it to flatten out well and tight. Again though, I had enlarged the hole to use the threaded one when I first did my 88 coupe in 2010. Wish now I hadn't of use the threaded one at all.
Throughout the process be very careful not to damage the regulator. One little bend or twist of the arm could cause big problems in its action.
Good luck
Saturday, June 01, 2019 4:38 PM
Thanks , Butch, didn't see your post till 8 hours after the job was done.( Busy Day)

Only took half an hour, tried grinding it off and punching it off, but was worried I'd break the glass if I slipped.

So I drilled it out with a 1/8 bit and it finally gave up and came off.

Used a 1/4 bit to enlarge the hole, then fished it in with long needlenose pliers.

Used a cheaper brand of green threadlocker on it and it was good to go, had to hold the stud with the pliers while I tightened the nut...not too tight.....

All greased up and works like butter..

Thanks for the help, Doug in P.R.

Sunday, June 02, 2019 5:30 AM
Here's the little bugger....

Doug in P.R.
Attachments
IMG_20190602_081858363.jpg (231k)
IMG_20190602_081907385.jpg (243k)

Sunday, June 02, 2019 4:20 PM
LOL, I'd call that a slider, not a roller.
I've had a couple that were not exactly round, but yours really wore down a lot.

Glad you got it fixed and without much trouble. 30min is great, especially being your first one.

Monday, June 03, 2019 8:10 AM
I've got power windows on the 94 Sedan and the 91 Ciera and always seem to have troubles with one or another. Guess it comes with the territory. I watch a lot of Scotty Kilmer's videos - some love him and other s hate. He did recommend giving power windows a good shot of WD40 from time to time and I started doing that , has kept me out of a lot of troubles since then. Worth a $5 can of WD40 just to not have to tear the doors apart. Probably helps keep the rust at bay on the bottom of the doors too.
I always replace those Damn rivets with bolts and self locking nuts when I put them back together. The 2nd Gens with those God awful seat belt retractors in the doors offer their own PIA to the job when it's time to work on the regulators. Whoever decided that they were a good idea needs a good thrashing!

Monday, June 03, 2019 10:19 AM
Yeah Butch, probably would of taken less time if that roller stud would of came out sooner, spent the most time messing with it.

Orlen, glad to have you back, wheel bearing red grease with a screwdriver or spray lithium is a better bet in the roller channel on these cars, I lube the side channels with Vaseline and a Qtip.

Spray oil never lasts long....enough.

Rivets: equals GM saving a ton of money back then instead of using bolts! ( It all adds up in the end for the bean counters)

Doug in P.R. .

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search