90 Turbo sunbird question in Mpls MN - Second Generation Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
90 Turbo sunbird question in Mpls MN
Sunday, September 05, 2021 11:00 AM
I am new to the forum, but not new to repairing cars.
I pulled the oil pan off my 90 turbo sunbird and I see a brass fitting with a silver "tip" extending from the lower block to my crankshaft counterweight! This is located directly behind my AC compressor and looks somewhat hollow with threads possibly inside it.
There is no external tube or electric connector for it as far as I can see.
What is this? Anyone?
Parts are a bit tricky to obtain for this car.
I am just trying to fix the head and gasket and cleaning as much of the oil/antifreeze mix from the oil pan/tube/baffle area.
Thanks to anyone who can give insight!

Re: 90 Turbo sunbird question in Mpls MN
Tuesday, September 07, 2021 2:05 PM
There is where the crank postion sensor goes if so equiped, my 92 has one....92 - 94 all have them.

Not sure on earlier 2.0 , do you have a coil on yours?, mine is fuel injection ( MPFI ) non throttle body.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Wednesday, September 15, 2021 6:57 PM
My 2.0 OHC turbo car has a distributor. NOT DIS ignition. I should have taken a photo when I had the oil pan off. Dang.
Tuesday, October 05, 2021 1:43 PM
Might have it because the motor is made in Brazil and used in Europe as Opel, was part of GM's Buick division back in the day.

Motor architecture dates back in the 70's with the 0pel Manta and Opel GT that were sold at Buick dealerships.

Doug in P.R.

92 Pontiac Sunbird LE, 2.0, AT, Red / Black with Grey 155K miles. Hurricane Maria Survivor ! ( It takes a licking and keeps on ticking ! ).....in Salinas, Puerto Rico!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search