Nitrous in the near future. Set me straight! - Nitrous Oxide Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Nitrous in the near future. Set me straight!
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:02 PM
Ok here's what I have and what I want to do. I searched but couldn't find recent/valid info.

I have:
built 2.4 LD9 (forged int, arp studs, etc)
Begi 2025 fmu
Stock injectors and a set of 60#
SD computer (both sides)
TR6 plugs
Premium gas

What I'm looking to do/questions:
Dry 75 shot nitrous
Possibly new injectors?
Use the fmu or go wet kit?
Timing retard needed?
TR7 plugs better?

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Re: Nitrous in the near future. Set me straight!
Wednesday, August 07, 2013 12:44 PM
Use a wet kit.
You don't need new injectors.
Definitely a wet kit.
You'll need to retard the timing, you could probably get away with it with a 50 shot.
You'll need two step colder plugs I believe but don't quote me.

The nitrous FAQ answers most everything you asked and this is just from what I remember when I installed nitrous on my 2200. Mine is a simple 35 shot so I didn't have to worry about much.

Wednesday, August 07, 2013 1:13 PM
The two main reasons I started the thread was to see if anything changes bc I'd like to use a dry kiit with my fmu I already have hooked up and bc I'm running a complete speed density comp. I know that should make it easier if anything but I've been wrong about something before bc j bodies can be finicky and weird sometimes.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Thursday, August 08, 2013 4:15 AM
Wet kit. I would do a direct port kit on the 2.3 intake manifold.

FU Tuning

Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:04 PM
Addicted to meth wrote:Wet kit. I would do a direct port kit on the 2.3 intake manifold.

I'm looking into it. Too bad I sold my 2.3 intake...

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Sunday, August 11, 2013 6:32 PM
How important are purge kits really?

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Sunday, August 11, 2013 8:20 PM
jesus christ. listen to everyon else. use a wet kit for @!#$ sake. i don't know why everyone insists on wanting to go dry.

with a 75 shot your'e going to want to retard the timing 1 degree.

purge kits are useful. not a necessity, but useful. there's no reason not to get one if your'e going for a quality build.

Monday, August 12, 2013 5:26 PM
Yeah, I'm looking at getting a NOS Sniper wet kit and add on some safety features.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:20 PM
get a bottle heater while your'e at it.

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:28 PM
Well I decided on a zex dry kit. I understand the opinions of getting a wet kit, but I decided that I'm not setting any number goals and I'm not looking to make the jbo hp/track times list anymore. I just want to have a little fun at local tracks. I'm only gonna run a 50 shot. I have a 35 hp jet too. I'll probably start there.

So, after a lot of searching and reading I'm still not sure if I should keep the 60# injectors, put the stock inj back in or get something in between. Also, does having a SD computer change anything? I plan on keeping the adjustable fmu to give some help in the fuel department, but do I really need this? I'm gonna use ngk tr6 plugs and premium fuel. Reasons I'm going dry is bc of easy install, dont want a huge shot, it was less expensive, and to avoid fuel puddling. I know there are pros and cons for both set ups. Anyway, anybody have some info concerning my questions asked? I really do appreciate all the in put. Don't think that I had my mind made up on the dry kit before. I've done a lot of research on both options.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Tuesday, August 13, 2013 5:35 PM
blucavvy wrote:get a bottle heater while your'e at it.

Yep, for sure. And a down tube. A RPM window switch too. It already has the wot switch.

2004 Cavalier Sedan

Tuesday, August 13, 2013 7:51 PM
My friend changed his shift light to around 3500 rpms and put a toggle switch in so that if the toggle switch was on and his shift light came on and the tps was at 98% or higher the nitrous would activate. Just an idea for you instead of wiring in thenrpm switch if you want to try to hide everything like in your door, dash, or where you want.

On the inside my car looks like a fighter jet.
Wednesday, August 14, 2013 7:29 PM
That's pretty cool.

So, I did one question answered today. I called BEGi and they said my 2025 fmu will still function with the dry kit. It should recognize the nitrous and add more fuel like it did with my turbo set up. I'm still not sure what to do about injectors though.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, August 16, 2013 9:41 AM
How exactly is your BEGI FMU going to see the nitrous? It doesn't cause any positive manifold pressure to push the diaphragm on the FMU...

I honestly call BS on that. (And I have a BEGI FMU, I know how they operate... lol.)

I really wish you hadn't have set your heart on a dry kit, a wet kit would have solved all these problems in one shot and with your forged engine you could have easily done a 100 shot with an MSD box to retard the timing.

Shame.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Friday, August 16, 2013 11:14 AM
That was my question for BEGi. They said that if I set it correctly and if the manifold rises past asmospheric pressure it'll work. I guess I'll find out. Like I said though, I don't want to run 100 shot. I just want it somewhat simple and fun this time around. I'm not looking to shatter records or embarrass Civics or any of that stuff. I'm happy with what I'll have

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Friday, August 16, 2013 11:34 AM
But if I do change my mind at all, my dad has said he will buy the dry kit from me for one of his three project cars haha. So I guess the dry set up isn't set in stone.

2004 Cavalier Sedan
Wednesday, August 21, 2013 5:07 AM
the dry kit can always be converted to a wet kit as well. which i still recommend.

Friday, December 13, 2013 11:13 AM
If you want to add a little more power and got the bottom end to hold it make sure you have a bottle heater. What I did with mine to make a huge difference was added a snow performance water injection kit. It really helps cool the cylinder and allows you to run more nitrous.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search