Installing Amp Blew Rear Speakers? - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Installing Amp Blew Rear Speakers?
Thursday, September 27, 2007 6:45 PM
Hello,
I just recently hooked up an Infinity Basslink to my 03 Cavalier with the "premium factory sound system". I spliced into the wires going to the subwoofers on the rear speakers (after the factory amp). However three days later, the subwoofer portion of both rear speakers blew while playing a CD. I am using a PAC Trunk-LOC. Could any of this caused the speakers to blow, or is it just a coincidence? I do know that whenever I played a CD in the past (w/o any aftermarket stuff), the bass did seem kinda maxed out on the speakers, even with the bass setting in the middle or only slightly above. I was playing a CD when the woofers blew.

The Basslink still works so I don't think it somehow blew out the factory amp (as the LOC is spliced into the subwoofer wires and is still receiving fine). Any ideas? Would splicing in and adding a LOC actually cause the woofers to blow (voltage induced, ohms/resistance issue)? I would just wanna know whether or not if I replace the speakers, if they're not gonna blow shortly after again.

Re: Installing Amp Blew Rear Speakers?
Friday, September 28, 2007 6:30 PM
You really shouldn't use an aftermarket amp on stock speakers... you prabably overpowered them.

Put some good aftermarket 6x9's in there that are rated for your aftermarket amp... bypass any stock amplifiers, and you should be good to go.

Friday, September 28, 2007 10:43 PM
Weebel wrote:You really shouldn't use an aftermarket amp on stock speakers... you prabably overpowered them.

Put some good aftermarket 6x9's in there that are rated for your aftermarket amp... bypass any stock amplifiers, and you should be good to go.

No, I didn't use an aftermarket amp on the stock speakers. I only spliced into the rear speakers to install the LOC for the external amp for a subwoofer. The factory amp itself was still powering the rear speakers, not the aftermarket amp (Infinity Basslink). The Basslink doesn't have outputs to power additional speakers.
Saturday, September 29, 2007 8:32 AM
you probably just blew the stock speakers with too much bass. Even from the stock amp and radio playing it at max levels can destroy and crappy factory speaker.

I highly doubt wiring the basslink in would have any effect on the rear speakers as long as your just using it just for the PAC Trunk-LOC. More of a coincidence, also the basslink isn't throwing that much air around so the sound pressure shouldn't have blown the rear's either but you never know.

Either way save up and buy some good speakers.
Monday, October 01, 2007 9:51 PM
the basslink didnt do anything... LOC or high to lows dont cause any damage cuz the receive input from the wiring. I think it was just coincidence get new speakers....
Tuesday, October 02, 2007 5:59 AM
I'll throw a couple of theories out there:
a) You may have had he radio at a higher volume level than usual, since the subwoofer you added could mask the sound of distortion from the rear speakers. This may have lead to them being overdriven and blown. This is especially possible since the factory deck could easily be pushed to where it would clip the signal.
b) The sound pressure from the subwoofer may have physically pushed the rear speakers and overextended them. I don't know if this is even possible, but sometimes I've wondered with my setup.

Shop Manuals, Brochures:www.kenmcgeeautobooks.com
Tuesday, October 02, 2007 7:58 PM
Thanks for the replies folks. Yeah, I kinda figured it was just a coincidence as well. I mean the LOC just receives signals and doesn't output anything as you have said. All in all it actually doesn't sound that bad. The tweeters and mid still work on the rears and the Basslink takes care of the rest. If I find a cheap factory replacement, I'll put those in, but other than that, I am not gonna worry. GmPartsDirect wants about $80 for the OEM pair, but I really don't think it'll be worth it.
Wednesday, October 03, 2007 4:51 AM
why dont you just throw in a resonablly priced pair of aftermarket ones, and install them yourself, i picked up mine for like 45$ on sale

Wednesday, October 03, 2007 10:41 AM
the problem with buying new after market speakers is he has a factory amp...usually with factory amp systems the speakers are low impendence about 2 ohms. So if he buy regular 4 ohm speakers it might not sound the same. If he is gonna buy after market speakers i say go with the NEW infinity's cuz they are 2ohm out the box which would Improve sound instead of a small down grade like a 4 ohm speaker would prolly do. In any case a 2 ohm speaker is the way to go.....
Wednesday, October 03, 2007 6:41 PM
Kinda weird, but the factory speakers have both 10 ohm (tweeter side) and 4 ohm (woofer side) stamped on them. If I went aftermarket to, say, Infinity Kappas, I'd most likely have to remove the factory amp then. I'd rather keep it, however.
Wednesday, October 03, 2007 9:10 PM
no you wouldnt have to remove the amp. Most of the other cars i worked on with factory amps have 2 ohm systems....guess its not the case on j's. Oh well....im sure the factory amp can handle a 2 ohm load

Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:07 PM
I agree, amps generally work fine with higher amp loads (within reason), it's usually only when you bridge your speakers ,lowering the ohms below the stability of the amp, do you run into detrimental overloads.

Super-Turbo Charged naturally aspirated electric motor for sale!!!
Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:15 PM
You agree with something posted 4 years ago? Congrats, want a cookie?

On the other hand....you have other fingers.

"You really need to staple your face shut"-THE Joey Baggs.
Thursday, April 21, 2011 1:37 PM
Thursday, April 21, 2011 3:43 PM
I have a pair of factory 6x9

Monday, April 25, 2011 10:12 AM
I bet the OP will buy them too, got a price?

Monday, April 25, 2011 11:09 AM
And I say again... 4 year old thread. Let it go, dumbasses! Lol

Monday, April 25, 2011 11:28 AM
oh wait. you can make a reamark on an old post but we can't jump in on the fun. i see how you are now.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Monday, April 25, 2011 12:06 PM
Hey guys. I sold some 5.25" speakers in 2007. Just FYI.

Monday, April 25, 2011 1:10 PM
I think I still owned a jbody back in 07. Just sayin'

Monday, April 25, 2011 3:05 PM
Just FYI, this is FYI

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:39 PM
back in 07 i think i was like 13 or 14 just fyi

Monday, April 25, 2011 6:40 PM
i mean 14 or 15

Tuesday, April 26, 2011 10:49 AM
This was the dopest post I ever wrote, back in 07.

car audio noob since 1984.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search