6x9's in my rear seat side panels....... - Audio & Electronics Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
6x9's in my rear seat side panels.......
Monday, February 28, 2005 1:39 PM
I finally finsihed them up today and got them installed. They are JL Audio TR690 CX-i 3 ways. I removed my side seat panels, and used thier mounting template to make the holes. I cut them out at work with an air powered mini sawzall. I also used some hard plastic 6x9 baffles from autotoys. Here is the link to the pic
http://www.autotoys.com/x/cust/product.php?productid=1583

Anyway, I had to cut an oval hole in the sheet metal of the side panels so that the magnets/baffles would sit recessed into the small area where the fenders are. Once I got the holes cut, I went to WalMart and filled the hole area with polyfill to keep some of the noise down. I also went and bought some jute padding and glued it to the back of the panels with some trim adhesive spray. I am hoping that this will cut down on some of the panel vibrations. One of the 6x0's sits a little crooked, but hey nothing's perfect. Here are the finished pics....

Trying to become the most modded out N/A 2nd gen sunbird 4 cylinder on the org with a..... screw that, I'm going turbo!!!

2.Slow OHC I4
Ported cylinder head, intake and exhaust
Relocated IAT with a custom WAI with a 6x9 K&N conical filter
All this, and I still can't go fast.............yet!!

Re: 6x9's in my rear seat side panels.......
Monday, February 28, 2005 1:47 PM
hmm..how's it sound? and what was the reasoning for using a 6x9?

--------------------------------------------------------------
Offical dealer for the following-

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Monday, February 28, 2005 2:04 PM
yea, wouldnt have some 6 1/2 compnents been better? then you could have 2 sets of components in the car. either way looks nice. props.

Monday, February 28, 2005 2:40 PM
first of all its a sunbird right? for one...i think that car is gay....2...those 6x9's are gay too....not too mention the one 6x9 is as crooked as your dick...I think you would of been better with audiovox or maybe kracos..maybe even sparkomatics....with all the time you invested in ur car ..you could of invested in a car like mine...a 1995 honda civic sir that runs 14.4 in the quarter with NAWS !!!!!!!!
Monday, February 28, 2005 2:54 PM
(Ignoring the reply above) I chose the 6x9's because I didn't want to have to use an amp. I will be using some 5 1/4 components up front which will be amped as well as 2 way 6x9's in the factory location in the rear deck also amped.. Using components in those panels would require more power than my head unit could put out. I did it to try to make the most of my resources, I mean, why not use all of the stereo connections from the back of the radio. I will have a total of 5 sets of speakers, 2 off of the radio, and the other 3 running off amps.

Trying to become the most modded out N/A 2nd gen sunbird 4 cylinder on the org with a..... screw that, I'm going turbo!!!

2.Slow OHC I4
Monday, February 28, 2005 4:00 PM
well...the shape of the speaker doesn't necessitate how much power you have to give them. I happen to have a pair of those JL Tr's installed in my girls cavy, and they sound fine. They would take just as much power as a component set, From a asthetic standpoint a round speaker would have looked better, perhaps with a grill painted to match the plastic panel?

i dunno WHAT that cock sucker up there is talking about....

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Monday, February 28, 2005 4:13 PM
Steve P wrote:first of all its a sunbird right? for one...i think that car is gay....2...those 6x9's are gay too....not too mention the one 6x9 is as crooked as your dick...I think you would of been better with audiovox or maybe kracos..maybe even sparkomatics....with all the time you invested in ur car ..you could of invested in a car like mine...a 1995 honda civic sir that runs 14.4 in the quarter with NAWS !!!!!!!!

wh..a..?...but...? nevermind

anyways, maybe i'm wrong, but wouldnt 20 watts to a 6 x 9 set be the same as 20 watts to the component set? or some 6 1/2 coaxials?(they'd fit in there as well)

how does it sound? if i didnt have a 4 door i'd give it a try.

Monday, February 28, 2005 6:28 PM
it'll all sound undertowed....if you got an amp on 4 speakers....why do you need more? those 2 are just going to distort (cuz of running off deck power) and kill your SQ IMO

Monday, February 28, 2005 6:51 PM
Quote:

first of all its a sunbird right? for one...i think that car is gay....2...those 6x9's are gay too....not too mention the one 6x9 is as crooked as your dick...I think you would of been better with audiovox or maybe kracos..maybe even sparkomatics....with all the time you invested in ur car ..you could of invested in a car like mine...a 1995 honda civic sir that runs 14.4 in the quarter with NAWS !!!!!!!!

wow....i wish there was a forum where we could get post people that all they do is try to cause trouble like this guy...sunbirds are gay huh?...im not putting civics down but i dont think they are any better...

From his profile...
Quote:

Hobbies/Interests: pimpin What's New: straight pimpin Dream Car: 1995 honda civic sir

wow is all i have to say
Monday, February 28, 2005 6:52 PM
But yeah i think the speakers look good...im looking into some jl 6x9's and how much did those cost you?
Monday, February 28, 2005 7:00 PM
im getting ready to put my 2nd set of 6x9s their and having the same car, i honestly feel that the 6x9s fit that section of the car better, since we have no carpet panels in the back like the old cavvies the back area is extremely bland so by using 6x9s your taking up a good portion of that free space

wicked

Monday, February 28, 2005 7:01 PM
DropTopPaul wrote:it'll all sound undertowed....if you got an amp on 4 speakers....why do you need more? those 2 are just going to distort (cuz of running off deck power) and kill your SQ IMO

if it's used for rear fill it'll be fine. I could see turning them off when there are no rear seat passengers.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 10:57 AM
Looks nice, even though I think 2 sets of amped mids is more than enough. But hey, to each his own, right? What I want to know, is Cap'n Civic up there serious? Or is he just some a$$clown like me who likes to cause trouble on occasion. If he's serious, I think I should find out where he lives and see just how hard it is to dismantle an import in the dark.

"Sup, G?"
"Aren't you white?"
"Only on the outside, craka."
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 4:27 PM
STEVE P nothing sadder then a kid who goes on the internet to try and rip on people. what a loser.

as for the 6x9's straighten that one out and it will look fine, and something to remember is more doesnt always mean better. more can actually hurt the sound more then it can help allot of times, unless your just going for loud volume, and if thats the case throw as many as you'd like in there.

and yes a componet set would have been just as fine to run off the headunits power. ive been doing that for a year now since ive been stalling on finishing up my system.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Tuesday, March 01, 2005 7:22 PM
Those 6x9's SOUND awesome! 6x9's have a stereotype about them, they DO NOT SOUND BAD AT ALL. components sound GREAT, that does not mean these sound bad.

Tuesday, March 01, 2005 9:42 PM
Steve P wrote:first of all its a sunbird right? for one...i think that car is gay....2...those 6x9's are gay too....not too mention the one 6x9 is as crooked as your dick...I think you would of been better with audiovox or maybe kracos..maybe even sparkomatics....with all the time you invested in ur car ..you could of invested in a car like mine...a 1995 honda civic sir that runs 14.4 in the quarter with NAWS !!!!!!!!

This guy needs a Perm-a-ban, someone ban this jerk off.

anyway good job, looks good

-kyle

Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:06 PM
Well, currently the CD player that I have (Alpine 7865) only puts out a WHOPPING 18 watts RMS. The volume goes up to 35, but I listen to it a 22. At 22 volume, it is at it's loudest volume with no distortion. I have tested this volume with every cd that I have, and I listen to alot of rap and hard rock/heavy metal. At 22 volume, I can go from Lil Jon to Metallica, to Eric Clapton and it all sounds clean. As soon as I bump it up to 23, it starts getting crappy. My subs are adjusted to play at that volume as well so I have equal balance. When I go to put in my other speakers and amps, I will tune them to play as clean as possible with the head unit on 22 so I know that the other speakers aren't distorting and causing damage. The reason why I chose to run those 6x9's off of the radio is because I could only amp 1 set of 6x9's. The ones that I am amping are these....

And here are the specs taken right from the JL site...

6x9-inch (150x230mm) 2-Way

If you're looking for a 6x9 with a superiority complex, this is where your search will end. With a massive motor system and woofer-like low-frequency behavior, the VR690-CX is a stunning performer.

The VR690-CX tweeter is a full-size, 1-inch silk dome with ferrofluid cooling and a neodymium magnet for impressive output, clarity and power handling. Premium mylar capacitors are employed to filter the tweeter for uncompromising high-frequency smoothness.

The woofer element employs a mineral-filled, injection-molded polypropylene cone body with a butyl rubber surround and is designed for smooth, unassisted upper-frequency rolloff that blends seamlessly with the tweeter's output.

Outboard amplification is highly recommended for this speaker.

Description: 6 x 9-inch (150 x 230 mm) Coaxial, Grilles Included
Power Handling: 80W Continuous
Recommended Amp Power: 25 - 150 Watts
Efficiency: 89.0 dB @ 1W/1m
Frequency Response: 53 Hz - 22 KHz ± 3 dB

Frame O.D.*: 163.3 mm x 237.4 mm
Grille Tray O.D.**: 171 mm x 244 mm
Magnet O.D.: 120 mm
Frontal Coaxial Tweeter Protrusion***: 6.8 mm
Frontal Grille Protrusion****: 24.8 mm
Xmax: 6.5 mm

*Does not take into account mounting tabs
**Does not take into account logo badge
***Frontal coaxial tweeter protrusion measured from mounting surface
****Frontal grille protrusion measured from mounting surface

Click here to Download the Owner's Manual for this model
(PDF: Approx. 100 KB) Acrobat Reader Required

Right in the specs it says that outboard amplification is highly recommended for this speaker. I figured that by using the 3 ways in the side panels, I am kinda keeping it in the front soundstage(somewhat). Since it said that the 2 ways should be amped, those are the ones I'm putting in the rear deck. I will be using those for the rear fill, but will stil need amp power to have them make any sound that can be remotely heard over my subs.

2.Slow OHC I4
Thursday, March 03, 2005 9:09 PM
Don't know why the pic didn't load. Let's try it again...

2.Slow OHC I4
Friday, March 04, 2005 5:19 AM
the point of rear fill isn't so YOU the driver can hear it, it's for the rear seat passengers so they don't feel left out.

If your front stage is up to par, with enough midbass and some halfway proper staging, then you won't need the rear fill.

I have the VR 6x9's for rear fill and i'm running them off the deck. my system still has a nice frontstage even with those on, and you can't really here them unless you get in the backseat.

i'd suggest running them off the deck, maybe it's just me.

SOUNDSTREAM
DB LINK
DB DRIVE
PANASONIC
GARMIN
ROSEN
SCOSCHE
XE DESIGNS
SOUNDGATE
PAC
LITEGLOW

Friday, March 04, 2005 7:01 PM
does using all the preouts and all of the speaker outs hurt the deck in any way? for instance, if i had front and rear outs to amp and amp 2 sets of components in the front(1 in the kickpanel, in in the door) and then i used the sub out to a subwoofer, would connecting a pair of 6x9's and a pair of 6 1/2 coaxials off the headunits(total of 10 speakers. 4 componets off amp, 2 subs off another amp, 4 coaxials off speaker outs on amp) can the headunit handle that? and if i set it to 3/4ths volume(max without distortion), why would it sound bad? especially if i has some huge subs with crazy bass to make up for so much highs and mids. wouldnt that make one crazy loud system?

Saturday, March 05, 2005 6:01 AM
no it wont hurt it as long as your not feeding it some low ohm load, really you could power 100 subs off one amp as long as you wired them in a way that the amp was reading a 4 ohm load.

more doesnt mean better. more would mean louder yes, but sounding loud and sounding good are two diffrent things. for one the more speakers you add the harder it is to get a good image our soundstage, some of the top competitors in the world only run 5-6 speakers, a pair of highs a pair of mids and a sub or two.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography

Monday, March 07, 2005 12:59 AM
I think I'm going to say the same thing as Jason...but simpler lol.

Why do you need so many speakers? it's pointless. If you can't create enough sound with 4 speakers....you're not using the right stuff. I am using infinity reference speakers, 6.5 in front, 6x9 in rear. Mine are factory located on the sides. Normally...I barely hear them, but there isn't a person I haven't been able to drown out with sound. I can be heard literally a 1/4 mile away....with only my highs...no subs on at all. Think I'm not loud? I can promise, I can without any distortion, make your ears ring for 15 minutes or so. You will sound better with only 4 speakers ( in a big way), or you could sound a touch louder (in a very small way, doubtful your ears will hear much difference in volume, you don't have the wattage to bring out the difference with just deck power, by adding 2 more speakers on deck power. I don't know. Amped speakers just sound WORLDS better than anything powered by a deck, I just don't see why you would handicap yourself.

Monday, March 07, 2005 2:00 PM
"I just don't see why you would handicap yourself"

lol

Monday, March 07, 2005 3:06 PM
i wasnt planning on doing it, i was just curious. i have some pioneer 6 1/2 coaxials and i'm buying some infinity kappa perfects componets. after i swap out the 6 1/2 coaxials, i figured i'd throw them with the 6x9's for real fill. bridge the 75x4 amp into 150x2, and then i'd run the perfects off the amp, and the 6x9s with the 6 1/2 coax's off the deck for rear fill purpose's. or if i ever felt the need, get another set of perfects for kickpanels and amp those in the front. either way, if i ever ran anything off the deck, it'd be for rear fill purposes only. if i sold the coax's, i really wouldnt get much for them, so i dont think its worth selling.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005 8:03 AM
not worth much selling, but also not worth much throwing them in the car. with that much rear fill it will sound like all the musicians are trapped in the trunk.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search