s/ced eco guys or gals... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
s/ced eco guys or gals...
Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:45 AM
Supercharged eco guys... or even cobalt ss owners...

I went to have my oil changed today and I asked the guy about changing the oil filter on a supercharged ecotec, the guy told me that he once had a cobalt ss customer and he could never figure a way to remove the oil filter without removing the s/c.

I figure there must be a way... because wouldn't it cost a lot for cobalt ss owners for a stupid oil change ?

So I'm asking airtonics, encriptor and those other guys who are lucky enough to have the s/c, what's your take on this issue ?

15.574 @ 89 mph stock

Re: s/ced eco guys or gals...
Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:54 AM
That guy obviously didn't try hard. Just takes a longer extension than our cars normally need. I helped a buddy do his a week ago. We got it off no issues. Just needed a rag for clean-up. But that's par for the Ecotec.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:57 AM
what extension ? I was under the impresison that he meant that you have to pull up the filter up to remove it but it hits the s/c and therefore can't be removed...

15.574 @ 89 mph stock
Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:27 AM
I spoke with Encriptor , and here is his quote ...

The ECOnator (Encriptor) wrote: I did some test runs on Sunday. It isn't actually as hard as I originally thought it would be. Take off the intake tube as usual and then you just have to do a little reach around to get to it. Not as easy as stock but it can be done. Oh and as a side note LET THE CHARGER COOL DOWN...OUCH (or where gloves but they could make it more difficult). And as far as the coolant line resting on the neck of the charger, it does have the heat shielding over it, plus even after running the car for a long time peddle to the floor most of it, I can put my hand on the neck and it is only warm, the rest of the charger is what gets hot. At least they heat shielded it from the factory.

He says it can be done ...

Saturday, March 11, 2006 10:34 AM
by extension I meant for the ratchet. Use a 6 or 12in extension attached to a Ecotec filter cap socket and your fine. Getting it out takes a LITTLE effort but it's not like its a PITA or anything. I've done much harder oil changes.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:13 AM
I never even thought of that, but its a good question lol. Is is necessary to dismantle the intake really though? That seems a little overboard, no?

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:24 AM
lol..... GM guys are a riot....... pull the charger off for a oil change........

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:43 AM
Gotta love the techs who just look and don't try Had one of them at the Honda place I worked at. If the car had a new radio even he wouldn't do anything with it...including an oil change. LOL. I made some money off his cars though so I didn't care.

Saturday, March 11, 2006 11:59 AM
oh no not your aftermarket radio! good for you hypsy take that mans money.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Saturday, March 11, 2006 9:18 PM
It's not an issue. Longer extension to get to the filter cap and a lil work to get the filter out. It's a pain but it's not an issue.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Sunday, March 12, 2006 11:19 PM
the guy is lying to you..... i have a cobald ss/sc, and i know for a fact they do not take my blower off when they change my oil

Monday, March 13, 2006 10:35 AM
It's recommended to NOT take the blower off to change the oil. And the burn is only for like the first 30 seconds that you have after beating the crap out of the car. So even the heat shouldn't bother anybody I was just stupid in trying to act so fast. But yes you can either use an extension or I just use adjustable plyers to turn mine then pull it up. And like he said put a rag under there to keep the oil from dripping over everything. If you look at the charger it curves slightly and that curve kind of helps a bit to help remove the filter.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search