got a problem with oil pressure.... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
got a problem with oil pressure....
Saturday, March 11, 2006 6:00 PM
so i hooked up my new cobalt series gauges, well for the oil pressure gauge i took the plug out of the block b4 the timing chain ten. and put the sendor there, well wired everything up start the car and the oil pressure gauge reads inbetween 20 and 0 then after a while fall all the way to 0 give it a small rev oil pressure comes up but not very far im afraid to run it anymore, but the thing is i took off the stock oil pressure sendor hooked up a line really fast and dumped into a cup pull the ign. turned the motor over and it filled the cup up so im thinking oil gauge or sendor is f'd but its brand new, but the only thing that worries me is the gauge has a nic in the bezel so maybe it was dropped and messed up, btw this is a full sweep gauge, and i have a 2.3 pump any thoughts???

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten

Re: got a problem with oil pressure....
Saturday, March 11, 2006 8:25 PM
id try a different gauge , and see what happens

also try using the 1 in the cam tower , just to see if you get a different reading

Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:43 AM
yea i think on mon im going to get a mech gauge and take out the stock oil preesure sendor and plum in the mech gauge there and see what happpens, if that reads 0 ill be dropping the pan to figure out the real problem

Wednesday, March 15, 2006 11:22 AM
Instead of hooking up another aftermarket gauge, see if you can't get your hands on a proper oil pressure test gauge from a garage, and test using that. If you've got low/no pressure, THEN start worrying about a possible problem.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 4:00 PM
If you have only 0-20 in the block, there is a huge problem.

You shouldn't run the car like that.

Is there a plug missing from the BS removal?

There should be 4 new plugs in the low end of the block now.

Maybe one fell out?

sig not found
Wednesday, March 15, 2006 4:05 PM
i guess i should of updated this.. on mon. i went to the mech. shop next door got one of there mech. oil pressure gauges and hooked it up started it up read 70psi, called autometer today had me do a volt check on the sending unit, to see what the problem is and the gauge is bad, so no worries i got oil pressure just damn new gauge was broke

Thursday, March 16, 2006 10:31 AM
^^^That must have been a hell ofa relief eh?!
Friday, March 17, 2006 8:09 PM
Boosted2point4 wrote:i guess i should of updated this.. on mon. i went to the mech. shop next door got one of there mech. oil pressure gauges and hooked it up started it up read 70psi, called autometer today had me do a volt check on the sending unit, to see what the problem is and the gauge is bad, so no worries i got oil pressure just damn new gauge was broke
Thats what I figured it was when you told me Sunday at the show..... As good as it runs, there is no way it had low of pressure.....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Friday, March 17, 2006 9:39 PM
well that is good news

kinda sucks still

Sunday, May 28, 2006 12:11 PM
i just receive my speedhut gauge and i,m reading 10-12psi at idle and no moore than 30psi at wot, even at 7200rpm, no more than 30 psi!!!!!
on cold startup, i read as high as 80psi.....
i'm affraid now. I have both HO cams and put the stock oil pressure unit on the 2.4 location and the gauge unit on the exhaust tower with a 90elbow fitting because i could hooked it up straight because of my power sterring setup.

Sunday, May 28, 2006 6:45 PM
should be lower once warm at WOT, than cold at idle.

HP Tuners | Garrett T3/T04B | 2.5" Charge Pipes | 2.5" Downpipe | 650 Injectors | HO Manifold | Addco front/rear | Motor Mounts | HKS SSQV | Spec stage 3 | AEM UEGO Wideband | Team Green LSD | FMIC | 2.3 cams | 2.3 oil pump swap | 280WHP | Now ECOTECED

Monday, May 29, 2006 4:10 AM
i know that, but 30psi at wot at 7200rpm.... is this normal???

Monday, May 29, 2006 8:07 AM
I have been told that those Cobalt gauges are crap. I installed a new Cobalt fuel pressure gauge on a 03 Cobra, and the gauge didnt work. Mike K. installed a new Cobalt fuel pressure gauge on a Ecotec,and the gauge didnt work.

275hp & 306tq - 1999 2.2 ohv
13.2 @ 108 mph
-1996 2.4 liter + Turbo + Built motor + Torco + More boost = Lots o' Power
-2000 Mustang GT + 2004 Cobra motor, Whipple 2.3 supercharger,
built rear-end,Dodge Viper spec T56 6 speed, bolt-ons = wheelies at the track!!!!!

Monday, May 29, 2006 3:38 PM
i dont have the cobalt gauge, i have the speedhut one!! i paid 196$ for that!!!!

Monday, May 29, 2006 10:38 PM
Brandon - you retard.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:10 PM
well i dunno what the differnce is but when i am cold i get around 60 psi and same when im above 2800 rpm or so...and idling warmi get about 25-30 psi...mind you thats on a 2.2..phil
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 5:14 PM
should have went with Stuart Warner gauges... but just i guess for reference mine usually reads about 70-75psi under full load/ cold start ups ect

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:32 PM
The only gauges I have had really good experiences with are the Autometer Pro-Comp Ultra Lite and the Phantom series. They're proven and reliable!

TEKONE Racing 2006

Tuesday, May 30, 2006 6:46 PM
can the oil pump still push 70psi at cold start up and still be bad?
because i get 70psi on cold start up but no more than 30 when its warmed up even at wot up to redline....
thanx

Friday, June 02, 2006 9:03 AM
dont forget to change the oil filter it might supprise you
pure one purloator are a really good filter to use but they screen so much they can cause a pressure drop
unlike fram that just bypasses almost everything in your oil
Friday, June 02, 2006 9:33 AM
I'll get my gauge hooked up today, and let you know what my 2.3 pump swap has for pressure...... the gauge is in, the wires are ran, just need a new sender.

SPD RCR Z - '02 Z24 420whp
SLO GOAT - '04 GTO 305whp
W41 BOI - '78 Buick Opel Isuzu W41 Swap

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search