Question about water cooled turbos........... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Question about water cooled turbos...........
Sunday, March 12, 2006 7:15 PM
ok, so I got a garett T3 turbo...and I realized yesterday with Robbie (PunkCavi) that the turbo I got is oil and water cooled....now the only thing I have to figure out is how I am going to run a water line to and from the turbo.....I haven't really studied these types of turbos before, and I only know about and worked with just oiled turbos...so if anyone has any ideas it would be great...the only idea that I could think of would be going off the coolent system some how...I am not going to be running hose into the car for the heater core, beacuse the heating controls are coming out to make room for greddy boost controller, but need to know how to hook up the water part of the turbo! Below is the a link to JBNW.org where I first started this question......also a pic of the turbo Thanks Eric

http://www.jbnw.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=6216#6216

New Sponsors: Show Stopper Tuning, Turbo Tech Racing, Izn Trbl Inc.

Re: Question about water cooled turbos...........
Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:32 PM
You don't HAVE to use the water cooling ports. Mine has them and I ahven't used them YET. I'm looking into it for this year so I'll stay tuned.

I used to race cars, now I race myself.
5K PB: 24:50
10K PB: 54:26
Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:40 PM
yeah you dont have to but why wouldnt you? all its going to do is help cooling and life of the oil. and if you have the abilty to put in a turbo, taping a coolant line would be easy.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:42 PM
Mine has the water ports and I did not use them. I may use them eventually but right now its oil only.

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:49 PM
so for the water ports what did you guys use to close them....I mean will oil drain for the water ports? Thanks

New Sponsors: Show Stopper Tuning, Turbo Tech Racing, Izn Trbl Inc.
Sunday, March 12, 2006 8:57 PM
if the oil poured outta the water drains you would leak oil into your cooling system............ so yeah no you dont have to block it off. But it would probably be a good idea just to keep contaminents out.

*2012 mazdaspeed3*
Sunday, March 12, 2006 9:08 PM
Mine are open.

Check out my Part Out List!! Great Prices !! http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/detail/52925/

Monday, March 13, 2006 7:11 PM
Has anyone here tapped a water line for a water cooled turbo? I would like to do so when I reinstall the turbo, but I wouldn't know where to run it or how to pump it through.
Monday, March 13, 2006 10:33 PM
Yes, I have done it on 2300 Fnrds.
Unless you're planning on going a couple hundred thousand miles don't worry about it.
If you feel the need you can go from the discharge of the W/P to the turbo then back to a return or the rad itself.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search