Considering Boosting eco... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Considering Boosting eco...
Thursday, September 04, 2008 5:13 PM
Hello everyone I have a few questions before i start to think about adding a supercharger to my ecotec.

Currently I have an 02 sunfire gt with 120k on her, AEM CAI, Pacesetter 4-1 header, and a full (not sure what size piping) magnaflow exhaust.

1. If I did add an S/C it would be next spring, and by then i'll be nearing 130-135k, would the engine be too old to consider being boosted?
2. Would my best bet be to just go to my local GM dealer to get it done?
3. What do you think the install price and time would be around?
4. Should I stick with my AEM CAI or something else? (is it possible to keep my current intake or would I have to sell it?)
5. What else will I have to upgrade to keep reliability a priority?

Sorry for all these questions at one time. I just don't want to spend a bunch of cash and then end up broke, with a broken car :p

Opinions and advice greatly appreciated.

Re: Considering Boosting eco...
Thursday, September 04, 2008 5:28 PM
i would do it myself but that is me ..i like to learn ...the dealer would prolly want outrageous money to do it
Thursday, September 04, 2008 7:21 PM
It would be nice but i'm not very mechanically gifted I can only do the oil and the CAI air filter. Also my work schedule is hectic, it's a hassle to get more then one day in a row off.
Thursday, September 04, 2008 7:43 PM
yea thats true it would prolly take some time hmm i dont know if you know some one that might do it or nos how you prolly get them to do it for alot cheaper than a dealership the dealership might not even do it but if they do it will be out of the work i turboed my car in 2 days but that was night and day lol i was exhausted i just slaped it on the stock engine and it held up for months it would still be going prolly buti totalled it R>I>P CAVY !
Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:34 PM
the dealer also includes the reflash in the install price, from what i hear

Thursday, September 04, 2008 11:15 PM
Shane Reid wrote:Hello everyone I have a few questions before i start to think about adding a supercharger to my ecotec.

Currently I have an 02 sunfire gt with 120k on her, AEM CAI, Pacesetter 4-1 header, and a full (not sure what size piping) magnaflow exhaust.

1. If I did add an S/C it would be next spring, and by then i'll be nearing 130-135k, would the engine be too old to consider being boosted?
2. Would my best bet be to just go to my local GM dealer to get it done?
3. What do you think the install price and time would be around?
4. Should I stick with my AEM CAI or something else? (is it possible to keep my current intake or would I have to sell it?)
5. What else will I have to upgrade to keep reliability a priority?

Sorry for all these questions at one time. I just don't want to spend a bunch of cash and then end up broke, with a broken car :p

Opinions and advice greatly appreciated.

1. probably not, could save up for a rebuild too
2. if you dont know how and have the money. if not you can always learn if you have more than one car and can leave you car sitting for a while
3. from crateenginedepot the kit is
Ecotec 2.2L Cavalier/Sunfire Supercharger Kit 17800003 http://www.crateenginedepot.com/store/Ecotec-22L-CavalierSunfire-Supercharger-Kit-17800003-P1377C0.aspx
SKU: 17800003
RETAIL: $3,388.00
YOUR PRICE: $2,571.60

4. i took mine out, didnt have the K&N intake piece which fits them together well.
5. nothing really, at least nothing to my knowledge as i am under the impression the GM calibration is pretty mild to keep reliability there.

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Friday, September 05, 2008 8:16 AM
reliability? Stock pulley and 93 octane.

Intake? I hacked my old Short ram up and used that, If you still want your intake go get a few pieces of piping and make it work get creative!

To old to boost? DO a compression check. If your over @ 195-210+ YOU BETTER BOOST IT IF NOT I'M COMING TO BOOST IT FOR YOU! thats beautiful compression.
175 - ....Save up your money for a rebuild @ a higher mileage or pick up a junkyard motor with less mile on it and during this time learn as much as you can about the ecotec and what not. Who knows you might even end up doing the install with all the time your going to have reading up on it.

Gm for install? If your not comfortable working in an engine bay don't attempt, like I said just save up and research and you might just feel up to it.

- K.Vega

Monday, September 08, 2008 6:56 PM
Great responses. You guys and this site are very helpful.

I'm very much considering talking to the service guy and asking more about pricing and install time then going from there.

6. Is it okay to run it in the winter? Like, would it be an okay option to ge tthis done in say a month or two's time, right as winter is coming (I put on a lot of km)
7. Is it more recommended to go WAI or CAI with the boost? I am loving the CAI right now but am willing to experiment and try a shorter warm intake.
8. Someone told me I'd need to upgrade fuel injectors or something. What do you guys think.

Thanks again guys.
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 6:06 AM
1. You'll love it BEST during winter. lol you not only might see an extra psi or so but the intake temps are much colder and trust me with these "Heaton" Blowers winter is our best friend.

2. I suggest a wai just as a safety precaution. Others might say otherwise but me personally need my vehicle to be as reliable as possible and is daily driver all year round.Rain snow whatever. I rather not take the chance of the filter falling off and possibly taking up some water or any other debris.

3. Injectors will come with the kit. Injectors should be replaced anytime boost is added to a motor n/a motor.

Thursday, September 18, 2008 7:19 PM
Thanks again.

Another question. What kind of boost gauge would I need? Is it hard to install? And for air filter could I use a short ram from the cobalt? Or would any short ram fit on with the SC fine.
Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:00 PM
Uh oh. I need help again!

I'm looking to order this kit http://paceperformance.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=184789

As far as I can tell this is the kit for my 2002 2.2 eco sunfire. but at the bottom it speaks of delphi/siemens injectors. I'm not sure which I currently have and I don't want to take the 50/50 chance and order the wrong kit for my car. Is there an easy way for me to check which one i have?

Sunday, September 21, 2008 4:13 PM
Well I think the 2002 has the Siemens injectors and the 03 to 05 has the Delphi injectors.. So I would think that is the right kit for you....
Sunday, September 21, 2008 6:38 PM
2002 injector size is 48mm, 2003+ injector size is 60mm

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search