Strange buzzing/ grinding noise...vids inside - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Strange buzzing/ grinding noise...vids inside
Thursday, September 04, 2008 1:05 PM
So lately my car has develeped a strange grinding/ buzzing noise coming from the pulley/timing chain area. The car is an 01 z24 with the m45 sc, and I would hear a very faint version of this noise every so often after a rain or something but now it is much louder and is all the time. It is kind of a grinding sound when I give it throttle and is sometimes worse than others, then when Iet off the throttle its kind of a buzzing sound. Im pretty sure its coming from the pulley area, or the timing chain area but its more in front of that. Other than noise the car still runs fine, and still boosts fine as well. Does this sound like a timing/ valvetrain problem or maybe something along the pulley system? Anyone ever had any problems in the sc snout of the m45?The engine oil and level is fine as well.

I put this in the maintenence forum but also put it in the boost forum incase any m45 guys can give some insight. I believe the sc tensioner has bearings in it, if this went bad somehow could it cause this? Or does this problem not even seem to be sc related? Heres the link to my youtube page

http://www.youtube.com/ihatemygrandamgt

If I dont get any answers Ill prolly pull the sc and see what happens. Any info is greatly appreciated!!!

Re: Strange buzzing/ grinding noise...vids inside
Thursday, September 04, 2008 2:24 PM
im voting loose/worn timing chain with slack. mine just started doing the same sound (i think), but not all the time like that, only at certain intervals of revving up and down slightly. sounds like the chain is actually dragging on the housing to be honest.

but, ive been wrong before, just a suggestion.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, September 04, 2008 2:25 PM

Thursday, September 04, 2008 2:55 PM
I actualy thought of that but it sounded like it was a bit more forward. I wanted to see if anyone had any similiar sc problems. Im gona pull the sc tomorow and if it continues Ill pull the timing cover off.

Thursday, September 04, 2008 3:42 PM
its most likley a bearings, my alternator was making some grinding noises so i checked it out and the bearings were rusted.

It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road
Thursday, September 04, 2008 7:36 PM
Can't hear anything in the in-car vid. Best bet is to get some sort of bar and use that held up against your ear to pinpoint the source of the noise. Check the idler pulley, alternator, a/c compressor, s/c, anything that rotates. Hold it against the timing cover as well. Doesn't sound very good, and doesn't sound to me like a bearing going bad, sounds more serious.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Thursday, September 04, 2008 8:31 PM
If you turn up the volume in the driving vid you can hear it better. I dont think its anything too serious since its happened before and went away, but it is constant now. Im gona pull the sc tomorow and change the alternator, if not Ill pull the timing cover.

Friday, September 05, 2008 2:47 PM
Ok, pull everytihng apart, change the alt, put it all back together, and the noise is still there. Don't just assume it's the alt, diagnose it properly. Get someone with strong mechanical knowledge to help instead of pissing time and money away throwing parts at it.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Friday, September 05, 2008 3:35 PM
Ya dont listen to me that was just my opinion.

It takes 8,460 bolts to assemble an automobile, and one nut to scatter it all over the road
Friday, September 05, 2008 3:38 PM
It's an LD9 that's what the problem is...I kid I kid. That does sound a lot more serious than a bearing, well an external accesory bearing: alt, s/c, a/c, etc. but ya never know it's worth a shot with the long screw driver to the ear method to try and pinpoint it a little better.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, September 05, 2008 3:41 PM

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Friday, September 05, 2008 6:08 PM
Well I listened to it some more and put a pipe on everything, and it was definitely the loudest on the alternator. I went and got an alternator today which Ill take off the sc and put on tomorow. Ill keep the sc off and if its still there then Ill look into it more. The sc may not be back on though

Sunday, September 07, 2008 2:33 PM
Well it was either the sc or the alternator, but everything is running fine now...just slow as dog @!#$ lol. I dont know if I'll put the sc back on or just leave it off until my new goodies go on. Atleast the car still has nitrous haha.

Sunday, September 14, 2008 12:11 AM
Had some time so i put the sc back on, and of course the noise came back. so its def the sc in the snout area or the sc idle pulley. i dont understand cause it still boosts and drives fine and the sc only has about 25k on it. im not throwing money at it or having it rebuilt so the kit will be for sale very soon. ive got much bigger plans

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search