hpt or gm flash - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
hpt or gm flash
Monday, September 08, 2008 5:53 AM
just ordered a gm supercharger. just a quick question. do i have to use the gm flash or can i use hp tuners to tune the car?

another thing is will it hurt the car to drive it from my place to the dealership if i have to get the gm flash?

thanks guys

M62 KIT for sale PM ME

Re: hpt or gm flash
Monday, September 08, 2008 7:20 AM
which motor?

The 2.4 or eco, I see you have both a 99 and an 05 in your registry.

But it its for the 2.4, you can flash the GM tune onto it WITH HPT, and then edit it.

Monday, September 08, 2008 7:22 AM
the 99 is a 2.2, I wouls say its the 05.

If you get the gm reflash I hear they lock your ecu. I would save up some cash and get HPT, get the GM reflash file from someone and use it as a baseline.

Its not going to hurt the car to drive it without a tune, I would probably stay out of boost tho. More than likely, if you get into it, it won't really matter anyway.

Got a wideband? Good investment...

Monday, September 08, 2008 7:31 AM
That is what I get for not reading the whole registry I suppose.....

If it is the 05 with the eco, I have suggested to others that they get a spare ECU, 1 with the GM flash on it (which yes, it DOES lock it from being edited), and a spare they can create thier own tune on.

I do not know how well the 2.4 reflash works on the eco, or if it is compatable as a base map, so youll have to find that info elsewhere.

As far as driving around untuned.....I wouldnt, even if driving completely out of boost......you still have the larger injectors that the computer cant compensate for.....

As far as the wideband......yes, necessary especially if you are doing mods to your tune. I just so happen to have one for sale too pm me if interested.

Monday, September 08, 2008 7:34 AM
yes sorry about that it is for my 05 eco. what if i were to get the gm reflash for now, then go buy another ecu and get it tuned with hpt next year cause i plan on doin a few more things over the winter. so if i can just get a second ecu for that for later then tune it with hpt that would be alright correct.

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Monday, September 08, 2008 7:36 AM
i guess we just pretty much posted at the same time lol.

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Monday, September 08, 2008 7:36 AM
lol, thats what I just suggested......damn posting at the same time.....

Monday, September 08, 2008 7:39 AM
sorry for the newb question thats gonna come, but im relatively new to boost as i saw there was no point with my old 2.2. but whats a wideband.

*throws flame suit on**

haha

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Monday, September 08, 2008 7:46 AM
also another quest does the car have to be at the dealership to get the flash done or can i jsut bring in the ecu to them?

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Monday, September 08, 2008 7:53 AM
total blackout wrote:sorry for the newb question thats gonna come, but im relatively new to boost as i saw there was no point with my old 2.2. but whats a wideband.

*throws flame suit on**

haha

that suit is a good idea...

with a response like that I would honestly just go to the dealership and have it reflashed. If you don't know enough about tuning to know what a wideband is then you really don't know enough to use HPT. HPT is no joke and you can seriously destroy your motor if you don't know what you are doing.

A wideband is an O2 sensor that gives a more accurate reading of your A/F ratios. You have a narrowband in the car that the computer uses to control the car's A/F, this is one that will tell you pretty much exactly what your ratios are. If you look on ebay, I would stick to either a innovate or PLX.

A/F = air/fuel, just incase you were curious.

Monday, September 08, 2008 8:30 AM
yeah, a factory narrow band sensor tells the computer rich or lean.

A wideband says your air fuel ratio is 14.7:1

Obviously.....more accurate. But I agree with the above. Tuning is no joke. If you have someone who can help you through it.....and are willing to try knowing you can damage your motor.....go for it, otherwise stick with the reflash.

It is possible for them to flash the computer, but probably easier if they have the car.

Monday, September 08, 2008 8:48 AM
oh no i wouldnt be doing the tuning. id be going to see raven to do that part of it. im slowly learning more as i go along with some help from friends.

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Monday, September 08, 2008 8:52 AM
Unless you're trying to squeeze some serious power out of it, I'd recommend sticking with the reflash. The reflash sets you up on a 2Bar, whereas your ECU + HPT can only fake a 2 bar. Granted we're talking superchargers and not turbos, so losing resolution isn't as bad seeing as how the boost curve is pretty linear, but I don't know if I'd go with HPT unless necessary to get the power levels you're looking for.

Fusion 9 Design // For all your web design needs!
Monday, September 08, 2008 9:08 AM
ok cool. thanks. cause over the winter im gonna add rods, pistons and stage 1 cams, and more than likely an intercooler. with adding all that is the reflash still effective?

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Monday, September 08, 2008 9:32 AM
If you mean Stage 1 Comp cams, those are suited better for an N/A application. They have a set of blower cams as well, and if you've got the S/C on at that time, definitely go for the blower cams.

Also the mention of rods/pistons, you're not lowering compression are you? Nothing wrong with upgrading, but Superchargers love high compression, and you'll actually lose a bit of power by dropping it to even 8.9:1.

So far as I know you'd have to add quite a bit to make the reflash NOT effective. If something else is more effective or not is the question. CaliforniaDomestics ( http://www.j-body.org/members/southtowndomestics/ ) made 248 whp with the M62 and the following mods.

-Stiegemier port and polish of the m62
-CAI of my own creation
-Aeromotive AFPR
-2.9" pulley
-Snow water/methanol injection
-2.5" full mandrel bent exhaust
-Cobalt SS Pacesetter Header
-Cobalt SS Alternator
-Walbro inline fuel pump
-SVT cobra Heat Exchanger
-SVT Lightning Heat Exchanger water pump
-Cobalt SS Heat Exchanger Water pump bracket
-GM reflash
-Canton Heat Exchanger coolant resivior

As you can see he was still running the reflash after plenty of mods, and it worked out fine for him.

Fusion 9 Design // For all your web design needs!
Monday, September 08, 2008 9:47 AM
no no i would be keeping it the same compression. and yes i did mean blower cams. sorry for the confusion

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Monday, September 08, 2008 5:12 PM
you don't need to fake a 2 bar to tune a s/c eco.

I am hpt biased as that is the tune I am running but if you aren't comfortable/ the tuner isn't comfortable just stick with the reflash.

Monday, September 08, 2008 5:34 PM
I have the GM reflash right now I am switch to a 3.0 pulley and having hptune in two weeks. I make 215 to the wheels now so we will see what this does

Monday, September 08, 2008 6:13 PM
ok i know this is a dumb question but with a supercharger, intake, exhaust and a header what am i roughly looking at for hp. i looked to see if anyone has mentioned it but couldnt find anything

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Monday, September 08, 2008 8:02 PM
I have 2.2 ecotec intake 62mm throttle body supercharger exhaust I was making like 208 whp added a heat exchanger and made around 215 whp

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 6:02 AM
on dynojet #s I made 231 whp and 200 ft-tq
on the mustang dyno run I made 196 whp 170 tq

on that run there was no intercooler involved.
Stock pulley, Intake, 4-2-1 Header, Resonator, Flowmaster muffler. basically 2.5 inch exhaust.

I'm now intercooled. Tuned myself with Hpt and Stock 1bar map sensor.

Psi Level = 7-7.5

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:30 AM
ok cool thanks guys. just wanted a rough idea anyways. where did you get the 62mm tb from?? would there be a huge gain if i were to put a set of cams in it or is that more for rpms? i am starting to do a lot of auto X with it.

i cant wait for the s/c to come should be here this week. im getting anxious

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 1:36 PM
you will want more and more once you experience boost lol.. its fun

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 2:36 PM
i know i will lol

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 6:41 PM
I got my throttle body from www.smgmotoring.com

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search