Just curious..."rsm/zpec" charger - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Just curious..."rsm/zpec" charger
Monday, September 08, 2008 5:11 PM
Well,

Out of curiousity tonight I decided to search around about the old rsm/zspec" supercharger kits and was just curious on who still has this set-up?

How are you liking it still?

Any more problems?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, September 08, 2008 5:12 PM

Re: Just curious..."rsm/zpec" charger
Monday, September 08, 2008 5:56 PM
someone liked it?

Fall 08 Omaha/western Iowa area meet...CLICK ME!
Monday, September 08, 2008 6:39 PM
That sc will wrot in hell.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:19 AM
from everything I have heard,
The vortec units used had severe oil leaking problems, and EVERYONE who I saw had one did have an oil leaking problem.

On top of that, thier "engine tuning" was debunked as total garbage, and lots of times there was no change made to the computer at all. It is amazing they didnt all blow up.

I did read a couple guys with the 2200 kits that liked the performance, but they still had the oil leaks, and only one of the 2.4 guys liked it, since it was driven off the cam, it was only spinning at 1/2 the engine speed. Of course if I was running it with only an FMU and a prayer......It is probably better off.

Someone did do the gm reflash on thier RSM equipped car, and liked the end result. (thats the one that liked it)

out of curiosity.....why do you ask?

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:42 AM
There was one at the bash. Rodimus Primes old charger I believe.

Red sunfire.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Tuesday, September 09, 2008 7:43 AM

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 8:17 AM
blowers for our MOTORS = Eaton or go home.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 9:16 AM
John- ya i read up on the oil leak problem. only seems like it was leaking from where the drive belt housing attached to the head? But I think rodimus fixed that with a gasket? Cant remember. From what I ahve read, it didnt seem like it would be a bad kit if it wasnt for RSM...seems thats where people got turned off from the kit because of their super awesome "tuning".

The reason I asked because I went to the Z Spec website adn they still have it for sale...and was just curious to know who still had it, if any.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 9:24 AM
-MD- LD9 wrote:There was one at the bash. Rodimus Primes old charger I believe.

Red sunfire.....

yea matt was teh only one to fix the oil housing issue and tune the car properly. it gave a nice bang for the buck......after all teh fixing lol

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 12:41 PM
I like the kit. I have mats old car.
I believe the vortec charger faded away because we as a group did not have hp tunners.

I love the sound and when its 60deg or below at 6k i make 9 psi.

at 7 psi with bald tires i ran 14.9 at 98.6 mph

my plans have been for a wile to make about 13 psi intercooled.
hopefully by christmass if everything works out the mechine shop in town will be making my drive housing and drive pully.

then when i mill off the egr path on the eco head i should be good.
no oil leaks.
its all about spinning the charger.

horsepower is how hard you hit the wall, Torque is how far you push the wall with you
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 1:15 PM
I miss the vortech charger i had on my car.You cant beat the sound of it.I pretty much fixed all the leaking problems i had with it.I never got the numbers i was looking for out it though.The most i hit with it was 199 hp.I sold the kit right before hp tuners came out.

Peter
'06 Cobalt ss/sc W/G85 Package
Gm Stage II W/2.79" Pulley
K&N Drop In Filter
Custom Magnaflow Dual Exhaust

Re: Just curious...
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 2:22 PM
after all the reading i did i didnt see much wrong with this kit at all....other then people hating it because RSM sold it.

hmmm....anyone got one for sale? just curious

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 2:33 PM
I saw one on ebay a week or 2 ago for the eco, it went cheap to at only 600 bucks or so. It would be great if you could just swap out pulleys like all other vortechs.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Tuesday, September 09, 2008 3:49 PM
The only way this charger should be used...
Here...

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 4:48 PM
ya ive been reading that thread

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 5:03 PM
gtpsunfire wrote:The only way this charger should be used...
Here...

Thanks for the link

I personally can't comment on the RSM kit because I never actually ran it on my car as it was designed. I bought the kit with the intention of making it run off the accessory belt.

Tuesday, September 09, 2008 9:45 PM
belt slip was also an issue with the rsm unit.

with that said .. i'm not aware of anyone who ruined a motor because of the lack of "tuning" with the rsm/zspec charger

14.82 @ 97 mph
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 9:11 AM
^^^ belt slip is fixed with a gatorback belt

gtpsunfire wrote:The only way this charger should be used...
Here...

no offense to the guy doin that build but the whole point if the rsm kit was to NOT run it off the accesory belt because that robs too much power. You will eliminate all the potential housing issues and whatnot though so good luck

My car may run 18s, but I can do your taxes in 10 seconds flat.
JBO lube - they would never have enough in stock and we'd never see RodimusPrime again
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 3:02 PM
I have it. It's not that bad. I don't have oil leaking issues, never have. Makes a solid 5 psi with air/fuel in the 11.5-12.5 with the FMU they provided. The price I worked out was on par with kits that would make similar power. It's a good kit (well at least mine is) if you want to make a nice 40-50hp over stock. The car definitely pulls harder than stock. Nevertheless, the GM charger or the HAHN turbo are much better options that have much more power/potential. I have debated upgrading to the GM charger for the Eco, but I'm still at odds with the tuning lock out of the GM tune. That and the fact that my car is severely limited by the "tall" gears of the auto transmission. All things to consider should I choose to keep modding, but for now I like the kit.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:01 PM
Ya I'm not looking to make mad power. Im more into shows then makin crazy hp and racing.

I dont know, for some reason I've always liked this kit....but cant seem to find one for the 2.4l other then on ZSpecs website...and I dont want to pay what they're asking.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 6:34 PM
Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote: no offense to the guy doin that build but the whole point if the rsm kit was to NOT run it off the accesory belt because that robs too much power. You will eliminate all the potential housing issues and whatnot though so good luck

None taken. I'm not out to convince anyone that the way I'm building my car is the best way. To each their own. I don't personally know if RSM thought too much power would be robbed if its run off the accessory belt. I'm confident that its not that much different from the GMPP supercharger. I do know that not too many people would be willing to give up their A/C to mount a Vortech supercharger down there. I'm fairly certain that was also a good reason for RSM to go with the cam driven setup.

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 7:59 PM
sleepy sunfire wrote:
Machzel08 (Teh Jew) wrote: no offense to the guy doin that build but the whole point if the rsm kit was to NOT run it off the accesory belt because that robs too much power. You will eliminate all the potential housing issues and whatnot though so good luck

None taken. I'm not out to convince anyone that the way I'm building my car is the best way. To each their own. I don't personally know if RSM thought too much power would be robbed if its run off the accessory belt. I'm confident that its not that much different from the GMPP supercharger. I do know that not too many people would be willing to give up their A/C to mount a Vortech supercharger down there. I'm fairly certain that was also a good reason for RSM to go with the cam driven setup.

If it were not for the having to loose your AC to use the vortech off the serpentine I would be all over this.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:18 PM
I wish someone would go ahead and do a setup with the vortech blower for the 2200, give us under dogs something other than turbo, I personally would much rather have a supercharger just because it would be something different.

2009 Ford Mustang V6
Wednesday, September 10, 2008 8:34 PM
The01Cav wrote:I wish someone would go ahead and do a setup with the vortech blower for the 2200, give us under dogs something other than turbo, I personally would much rather have a supercharger just because it would be something different.

Why wait? I've learned that if you want it just do it yourself.

Thursday, September 11, 2008 4:26 AM
The01Cav wrote:I wish someone would go ahead and do a setup with the vortech blower for the 2200, give us under dogs something other than turbo, I personally would much rather have a supercharger just because it would be something different.

rsm/zspec also sold a supercharger kit for your car I believe.....

Thursday, September 11, 2008 5:24 AM
yes they did.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search