9.3:1 compression....what size turbo? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
9.3:1 compression....what size turbo?
Wednesday, September 24, 2008 2:01 PM
after I built the turbo'd Z24 sedan, I wanted my offroad/pre-runner rig to be boosted too.

stats:
95.5 Isuzu Rodeo
3.2 SOHC V6
9.3:1 compression
47K miles
5 speed
4:10 gears
Dana 44 rear
LSD

I really want to do a remote turbo set up in the rear next to my on-board air setup (under body bolted to frame), I would like to hit full boost around 1500-2000rpm if not lower. redline is 6K, but on the trails and rocks it sees 4,500 MAX....and no more than 4K during daily driving. Max boost I would like to see is 6lbs....as the SC kit that is out for us runs that much boost, and can be had safely.

I belong to a few Isuzu sites, and all the turbo information is about the 88-90 turbo troopers and none of it applies to my motor. They make a supercharger kit for the Rodeos, but its HARD to find, there are none in the states, and have to be found in Austrailla, the company is called Alpine chargers, this kit runs up to $3,500 so I rather do a turbo set up. I have coil less ignition and can upgrade to MSD-DIS II.

I run 32x11.50 SuperSwamper TSL's and they are hard to get turning when bogged down with mud... unmounted tires weight at 55lbs each, plus another 30-40lbs for the rims. so I need all I can get to get them moving. I have a really low crawl gear that can move them, but 4L redlines at 15mphs.

any suggestions, I was thinking maybe a Sabb set up.

Re: 9.3:1 compression....what size turbo?
Thursday, September 25, 2008 3:07 PM
anyone?

Friday, September 26, 2008 3:52 AM
If you're talking about the saab turbo that we commonly swap over to the ecotec, no its way to small for 3.2L displacement, even if you are looking for low end grunt. Think about it, it runs off of the map on the 2.2eco and you have almost 50% more displacement. It may work if you're only revving to 3k rpm and looking for a diesel like powercurve

Maybe a super 20g? GT3076R? I guess it depends on what you want to spend. I don't knwo what OEM turbos are wll matched to that displacement that you could pick up, so I'm listing aftermarket. 3.2L should have no problem spooling either of them quickly, but the saab would be a waste of time, even on a remote mount setup.

Friday, September 26, 2008 7:15 AM
well trying to boost up to full boost at that low of RPM on a remote system, which tends to have more lag anyways, on your displacement motor is going to be VERY hard.

Especially one that can carry that powerband all the way to 6000....... I would think maybe a low A/R GT1076 as mentioned above might do what you want, but you have very hard parameters you are trying to fill.....

Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:33 AM
thanks guys....I didnt think about my displacement being an issue for the smaller turbos, I will some more research and see what I come up with... I really need that low end grunt like a diesel especially when I get rid of the 32x11.5s Super Swampers and go with some 33x11.50s.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:41 AM
You mentioned a s/c kit is available - is it centrifugal or positive displacement type? If it s positive displacement, that's your answer!

Saturday, September 27, 2008 5:39 AM
its a roots, but its VERY hard to locate....only a few people have them here in states.

here is the link to the M62 that is available for us:
http://www.alamomotorsports.com/alpine/alpine_isuzu.html

its 3040.00 seems a bit much, i was hopping to use some of my old turbo parts that I had left over from the turbo 4 door and save a few bucks.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 6:47 AM
I dunno, that kit looks like it will fulfill your needs to a T...How many of your old turbo parts are compatable anyway?

Saturday, September 27, 2008 7:34 AM
I still have my FMU, Intercooler, BOV, lots of Piping, old wastegate. thats why I was even thinking turbo, maybe I will put it on the bottle, like a 25 shot or something to hit when I get really bogged, or need just a little more grunt get up a hill. I plan to get a a full auto locker for the rear (only 250.00) so I can do a lot more on the trails then. thanks for the insight.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search