Mild Steel Charge Pipes...stupid rust - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Mild Steel Charge Pipes...stupid rust
Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:13 PM
Anyone running mild steel charge pipes. I can fix the outside rust when I paint the darn things. The inside of them concerns me however.

Re: Mild Steel Charge Pipes...stupid rust
Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:28 PM
Stainless Steel!!!

FU Tuning

Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:30 PM
Aluminum!

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:52 PM
Already made them from mild!

Saturday, September 27, 2008 9:59 PM
nm found my answer elsewhere.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 10:10 PM
cmon aaron... you know not to cheap out on stuff for sure. do it like me, do it once and do it right the first time... aluminum. but i understand that you are going for just a little more pep. i still recommend you upgrade to aluminum. otherwise let other people know what you came up with for a solution?

Saturday, September 27, 2008 11:33 PM
For the cost of the mild and free fab work by me I can have the pipes coated and still come out cheaper than buying aluminum pipes AND having to pay a welder to weld aluminum.

Using mild steel is not a way to cheap out, prep it right and it will last and look just as good as if I used a more expensive material.

But my solution is having them coated on the inside by a local place offering to do it at a great price.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:08 AM
i didnt mean to say cheap out but aluminum is better. more benefits. but most dont apply since you are just adding a little zip. its lighter for sure, heat transfer is AMAZING. thats about all i got haha. cant wait to see it running

Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:00 AM
Yea I agree that aluminum is better. But not an option for me at this time. Once coated my mild ones will last quite a few years if not for the life of the car.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:24 AM
ProfessorJ wrote:Yea I agree that aluminum is better. But not an option for me at this time. Once coated my mild ones will last quite a few years if not for the life of the car.

yeah like i said. would make a difference if you were constantly racing the car and what not. but for the little zip you want. will be fine. so lets see some pics damn it! i might get mine coated to match the car this winter

Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:30 AM
Soon as I get the cold side back from coating ill toss up some pics. but for now... everything is just mock up. All metal will be getting coated.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:36 AM
Very nice!!!!!!! I like it so far........
Sunday, September 28, 2008 9:36 AM
Ahhh, So Cute!

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:20 AM
Taetsch Z-24 wrote:Ahhh, So Cute!

Chris

Thanks I think

Im not going for big boost or hitting the track. A super 60 will do me fine

Sunday, September 28, 2008 10:59 AM
Polished Stainless FTW....

Looking good tho and coating it will surely keep it lasting long than it being left bare.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 12:55 PM
Yea so how about I send you my current pipes and you make them from stainless?

Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:02 PM
orr powdercoat inside and outside of charge piping?,,

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:27 PM
you should get your bov coated to match your valve cover and paint

Sunday, September 28, 2008 1:46 PM
Yea i am not going to worry to much. I got a plan in motion.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 2:12 PM
If I ever do another turbo set up I will be using mild steel again. To me it just isnt worth the extra cost and hassle to use aluminum piping.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 2:40 PM
mitdr774 wrote:If I ever do another turbo set up I will be using mild steel again. To me it just isnt worth the extra cost and hassle to use aluminum piping.

i for one would disagree. the extra time and cost has considerable benefit... way lighter and much much much better heat transfer for sure. mine are ice cold after driving for any amount of time with air moving over them.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:20 PM
Mild is cheaper to buy/work with and I can do the work myself. I dont have to pay someone to weld it for me. Still need to replace the damn liner for my welder though. I never had a problem with heat when I was turboed. At 10 PSI I was seeing a consistent 80* manifold air temp. To me the little extra weight of teh mild over the aluminum wouldnt make a difference as I already have a lump of iron in my engine bay and when it was turbo I needed every little bit over the front wheels to help with traction. Sucks when you spin through half of 3rd. The steel is also a little more forgiving when it comes to taking abuse. If I had aluminum charge pipes I would have to replaced one section the last time my car was towed, it would have been smashed or ripped.

Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:12 PM
Cody@RDFabs.com wrote:Polished Stainless FTW....

Looking good tho and coating it will surely keep it lasting long than it being left bare.

Wouldn't have been the first time we've done it for someone...

Cost of material is the only real killer on doing more polished SS charge piping. However, it looks bad ass when your at shows.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search