spark voltage vs. boost - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
spark voltage vs. boost
Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:47 PM
I am trying to tune in a 400HP Quad 4. I am beginning to wonder if my stock spark voltage is not high enough to do the job. Does anyone know the max output voltage these coils can achieve? and is that enough to do the job?
also, I want to know what other options there are to raise my spark voltage. I do not want to buy a MSD-DIS2 becuase I am currently running megasquirt, and it can do EVERYTHING the MSD box can do, except raise the output voltage. I do not want to pay for spark retard, studderbox, rev limiter, when MS can already take care of these things. any idea?

Are there any links to good info on this subject. Ive been searching the net for several hours now, and im finding there isnt really a whole lot out there on this subject.

also, is there a differance on between Quad4 ignition coils, and say a Factory Turbo, or SC'd Cobalt SS, and could we using these components? Has anyone? links?

Thanks for any and all info.

M90'd Built LGO-15 PSI
http://webstarts.com/quadper4mance

Re: spark voltage vs. boost
Sunday, September 28, 2008 7:53 PM
2.2 coil conversion got rid of my spark blow out, worked on the T\G drag car too.

Chris

'02 Z-24 Supercharged
13.7 @102.45 MPH Third Place, 2007 GMSC Bash SOLD AS OF 01MAR08

Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:04 PM
DO a search for 2.2 coil swap. If the power output of the coils is your issue then this is probably your best option.

FU Tuning

Sunday, September 28, 2008 8:20 PM
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=419850&t=404817&p=1

is this the right link? for using dodge neon MSD coil? Looks like a good plan. Although i see something in there where they say the neon coil is actually less voltage than the GM coil, does that sound right? how could this be better for my situation?

are there any other options? just so i can have some to pick from, you know.

also, is there any type of rule of thumb, where X HP will require X voltage from the coils?

M90'd Built LGO-15 PSI
http://webstarts.com/quadper4mance
Monday, September 29, 2008 3:45 AM
That is one way of doing it. Others use the 2.2/2200 coils (stock ones), or MSD coils for the 2.2/2200. I know there is many post on this in the performance section. Sorry I can't answer on the power output.

FU Tuning

Monday, September 29, 2008 4:50 AM
Both ways are a great road to travel down, the 2.2 coils are a great way of doing it: higher peak voltage, the ability to only replace just one coil if it goes bad, flows with the quad 4 engine bay better, it is a long running and test mod for this motor, and some of the higher power motors are running it. Then the neon coils are cheaper, kind of newer and a few people run it but the ones that are seem to love it, and some of the most power SRT4 cars are running it.

Hope ya the best man.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search