Top mount intercooler? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Top mount intercooler?
Sunday, October 05, 2008 3:27 PM
Anyone ever run a top mount intercooler on their cavalier turbo like the WRX has? I was thinking that on a lower boost LN2 car a top mount intercooler above the valve cover would work pretty well. Obviously you would have to add a scoop like the WRX but I think it would work better then a front mount since A. you arent running much boost and B it keeps the charge pipe shorter. What do you think?

97 Cavalier 2.2 5-speed, 88 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 auto, 91 Firebird Formula 5.7 auto, 88 Conquest TSi 2.6T 5 speed, 93 Silverado ECSB 5.7 auto.

Re: Top mount intercooler?
Sunday, October 05, 2008 4:52 PM
Front mounts are more efficient.

Sunday, October 05, 2008 5:01 PM
Noquarter wrote:Anyone ever run a top mount intercooler on their cavalier turbo like the WRX has? I was thinking that on a lower boost LN2 car a top mount intercooler above the valve cover would work pretty well. Obviously you would have to add a scoop like the WRX but I think it would work better then a front mount since A. you arent running much boost and B it keeps the charge pipe shorter. What do you think?

The WRX can get away with it because its boxer engine sits lower in the engine bay than our inline 4's. I'm sure you'd have some clearance issue trying to stuff a top mount under the hood.

Sunday, October 05, 2008 5:05 PM
sleepy sunfire wrote:The WRX can get away with it because its boxer engine sits lower in the engine bay than our inline 4's. I'm sure you'd have some clearance issue trying to stuff a top mount under the hood.

exactly what I was thinking.

87 Firebird
All stock...........lol.
Sunday, October 05, 2008 5:05 PM
I would call it a top mount interHEATER. And as said above front mount is way more efficient !

491whp, 393wtq
11.93@ 127mph
Raven Autosports (902)850-3330

Sunday, October 05, 2008 5:39 PM
Yeah why would you want the intercooler on top of the hot engine in the engine bay when a front mount is outside directly in the path of airflow? Shorter charge pipes don't do much.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Sunday, October 05, 2008 7:25 PM
The advantage is that its easier to do. With a simple heat shield underneath you could prevent heat soak. At low boost pressure 5-7psi you wouldnt need a big intercooler. The biggest problem could be underhood clearance. With a properly fabricated hood scoop that issue could be addressed. Its just an idea though, I'll have to do some measurements to see what kind of clearance is under their.

97 Cavalier 2.2 5-speed, 88 Camaro IROC-Z 5.7 auto, 91 Firebird Formula 5.7 auto, 88 Conquest TSi 2.6T 5 speed, 93 Silverado ECSB 5.7 auto.
Sunday, October 05, 2008 8:06 PM
I dont think it would be a great idea, especially when a front mount is the first thing a WRX owner adds when they first start modifying their cars.

<table>hello</table>
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search