wont stop smoking - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
wont stop smoking
Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:37 PM
ok last night i was driving on the highway,and my wife said it was smoking!! i drove it today and it is like driving a bug fogger truck!! dont know what happen it only pushes 5lbs. maybe i pushed up a valve seal??has this happen to anyone else,s@$ i fell like selling it sooooooooooooo anoyed

Re: wont stop smoking
Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:41 PM
What engine? Where is the smoke from? What color smoke? Any other symptoms?

You really told us nothing that will help you..

We need more information.

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:49 PM
its a 2200 ohv,smoke is from exaust pipe (the car is green lol) smoke looks really white and sputtering
Thursday, October 16, 2008 6:57 PM
As I already PM'd you, I think its a headgasket.

how many miles are on the motor?

"A car just isn't a car without a little blood, sweat, and beers." -- Shadowfire
Thursday, October 16, 2008 7:13 PM
supose to be 30,000 and 94,000 on odo and its supose to have eagle rods and forged pistons,its not getting hot
Thursday, October 16, 2008 7:18 PM
head gasket. white smoke means burning antifreeze, stop driving the car immediately. the antifreeze will mix in with all your crap and fry the bearings if it already hasnt.

Thursday, October 16, 2008 7:40 PM
ok soo who sells a good head gasket for boost and bolts,and how a bout a how too link? thanks for all the help
Thursday, October 16, 2008 7:43 PM
oh by the way it never got hot i dnt think it goes from 100 to 200 really fast but never past 210.about once a day it would puff a big cloud,so you think it was already blown or i lifted the head
Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:06 PM
What does the smoke smell like.

Sweet = coolant. Putrid = oil.

Are you losing either oil or coolant?

Details. They help.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:30 PM
ok ill check that tomarrow it smelled more like oil and i thought white smoke was valve seals and blue was rings
Thursday, October 16, 2008 8:46 PM
jonathan bourdeau wrote:ok ill check that tomarrow it smelled more like oil and i thought white smoke was valve seals and blue was rings

Valve seals and Piston rings both are in charge of oil control and in the case of rings, also combustion gas control...

Therefore either valve seals or piston rings cause blue smoke...oil burns blue. White smoke is antifreeze. Think Seafoam white....

Buildin' n' Boostin for 08' - Alex Richards

Friday, October 17, 2008 5:35 AM
ok it has a blue tint to it and the coolant level hasn't moved. how do i figure out if it rings or valves?
Friday, October 17, 2008 8:14 AM
You said it pushes 5lbs. I take it you have a turbo????? Maybe the turbo seals went bad..
Friday, October 17, 2008 8:22 AM
do you have an oil restictor in line to the turbo? take a charge pipe off and see if there is oil in there 1st, thats the easiest diag.

Friday, October 17, 2008 8:51 AM
no oil in charge pipe,took it off ,started the car and it still smoked
Friday, October 17, 2008 8:54 AM
its a m24a/r70 garrett ,whats a restrictor?
Friday, October 17, 2008 8:58 AM
a restirctor is usually built into the fitting.....aka a small hole to keep from putting to much oil pressure to the seals of the turbo. a regular journal bearing turbo shouldnt see more than 30 psi.

Friday, October 17, 2008 9:55 AM
yeah it has a restrictor
Friday, October 17, 2008 12:50 PM
I can almost guarantee you blew the turbine side seal - the one that goes into the downpipe. Pull of fthe downpipe see if you can see any oil seeping out from the impeller.

Turbo seals don't blow "just because" so if that's the issue, you need to find out why it hapened. Poor turbo drain, high oil levels, bad PCV system, boost in the crank case, too much pressure in the oil feed.

Does it smoke right away on startup or does it start to really get bad once the oil warms up and thins out? Does it smoke more at idle and less as you're driving?

If you want to be completely sure it's not the motor do a compression then leakdown test. But I'd start with the turbo.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:43 AM
ok it would push oil out the breather on top of the valve cover,i asked and someone said just buy a better breather

it smokes both on start up and when i stop at a light.

doing a pressure test tonight if all cylinders check out than i know its the turbo.
if so is it hard to rebuild??
Saturday, October 18, 2008 10:17 PM
You cant rebuild the turbo, at least not properly. New bearings must be custom honed to a shaft that also must be honed and fitted with new seals. After the whole thing is together it takes one guy working on it for about a half hour on a several hundred thousand dollar machine to balance it properly before its put back into service.

sweetness, that girl in your sig is driving me nuts....so hot...lol

Sunday, October 19, 2008 9:46 AM
Alex... she says thanks. lol

Also, I agree. A lot of ppl think you can just throw new seals into a turbo and all is well. Ideally you need to do everything you listed to do it right.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Sunday, October 19, 2008 2:44 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:Alex... she says thanks. lol

Also, I agree. A lot of ppl think you can just throw new seals into a turbo and all is well. Ideally you need to do everything you listed to do it right.

-Chris-

Exactly, Those types of seals (Dynamic PTFE Lip Seals) are the same type as most rear main seals as well, so think of it as when your rebuilding a motor...you kinda take a chance on not resurfacing the lip the seal rides on when you put a new one in. Majority of the time they will sufficiently seal however.

Good luck.

Sunday, October 19, 2008 6:27 PM
ok soo this is what happen friday i changed the oil and i put in 20w50 instead of 10w30 it still smoked on the way home. then i let it sit till saturday night,i drove her to the house i got her from.the father is a good friend of mine and hes tring to help me out.and theres no smoke at all , man i felt so stupid ,but he still wanted to do a compression test! well #1,2,3,was good around 130-150 but the #4 cylinder (one next to the coilpack) show only 30 psi on the gauge. mother ff#$%@ sooooooo i guess i got to rebuild this so called built block. i hope its just rings or valves and not a piston thanks for all yalls help ill post pics of rebuild . and if any ones got some links on sites that has good internals thanks
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search