Engine Internals - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Engine Internals
Saturday, October 18, 2008 5:19 PM
I currently have a 98 cavalier z24 and need to rebuild my engine of 170k to be able to handle a good amount of boost (thinking like 10-20psi). I know I need rods and pistons what else would you recommend replacing and of those parts should I go aftermarket or stock.

Re: Engine Internals
Saturday, October 18, 2008 6:46 PM
well dont forget that anything above 14psi is a MAJOR PITA to tune for in our ECU.

I built my engine to run mid-20's psi... but am finding out that 14 is really as far as you can go without major headaches...

Re: Engine Internals
Saturday, October 18, 2008 7:54 PM
Scott Thompson wrote:I currently have a 98 cavalier z24 and need to rebuild my engine of 170k to be able to handle a good amount of boost (thinking like 10-20psi). I know I need rods and pistons what else would you recommend replacing and of those parts should I go aftermarket or stock.

To handle that kind of power forged pistons and rods are the way to go. Check out www.carcustoms.net

ken soggs wrote:well dont forget that anything above 14psi is a MAJOR PITA to tune for in our ECU.

I built my engine to run mid-20's psi... but am finding out that 14 is really as far as you can go without major headaches...

Considering the fact its pretty easy to make 400+ hp on 14 psi and most people never even reach that power level, i don't see it as that much of a headache.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search