oil check valve - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
oil check valve
Sunday, October 19, 2008 7:21 PM
should this always be installed really close in the oil line to the turbo? the reason that i am asking is because i got one of the real fancy earls ones and its like as big as a d battery and i was going to put it in the back of the block before the oil feed line at the back of the block so you couldn't see it.
not sure

thanks
jason

Re: oil check valve
Sunday, October 19, 2008 9:39 PM
I honestly have never even seen an oil check valve. I would leave it out.
Sunday, October 19, 2008 10:38 PM
so when the car turns off the hot oil wont flow back into the turbo? restrictor fitting its also called i think

Monday, October 20, 2008 9:19 AM
I have only seen the restrictor right at the turbo.

Monday, October 20, 2008 9:28 AM
Some the remote mount setups have these due to the pump being off. Keeps the oil from sitting on the shaft(coking/bypassing the seals).. On a traditional setup this should not be needed...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 6:43 AM
AH, THAT kinda check valve......yeah, it depends on where your turbo is mounted, and where the oil supply is coming from.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:01 AM
coming from the rear of the block and turbo is in the front by the rad support

thanks
jason

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:35 AM
jason norwood wrote:coming from the rear of the block and turbo is in the front by the rad support

thanks
jason
You don't need it....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 10:50 AM
when and why would you need it then? i was told to stop hot oil from going back into the turbo and sitting there after the car's off

thanks
jason

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 11:05 AM
actually I think the MAIN purpose of it is to keep oil in the line so that your turbo does not spin w/o oil.

This is only a problem in cases such as a rear mount, or otherwise remotely mounted turbo that the oil feed is exsessively long.

Tuesday, October 21, 2008 4:24 PM
Gravity will pull all the oil back down to the pan once the engine is shut off.... it sounds like it would be used for the rear mount turbo setups like you guys said so that the oil doesn't sit in the turbo (which sits lower than the engine).

Thursday, October 23, 2008 8:41 AM
On all the turbod cars in my family none of them have this in and they have never had a problem. I see where you are coming from and your reason to put it in but when its not needed I would leave it out. it may be a simple part but its also 1 more part your adding in and another thing that "could" go wrong.

The First Twin Charged jbody
blue car (R.I.P) - 240whp @7psi..
silver car - 305whp 315lbs.tq @15psi (91 Octane) or 420whp & 425lbs.TQ @20psi (94 octane+Alcohol Injection)
All dynos run on a Mustang dyno
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search