Tinkles needs injector help. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Tinkles needs injector help.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 5:45 PM
Alrighty, flame away if you must. I have been looking around for a few hours and not getting anywhere.

I'm planning on picking up a M62 kit off a Cobalt SS. Im not getting injectors with the kit and i am clueless as to WTF injectors i need.

The plans are to run a 3.0" pulley, blower cams, full exhaust, meth and a eventually upgrading to the 2.79" pulley that im getting with the M62.

For tuning im looking at using the GM reflash.

So... suggestions? Recommendations?

Re: Tinkles needs injector help.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008 7:35 PM
probly something mid 400's to be safe, I went big so I had plenty of room to work with

550's may be fine and just adjust with hpt... that way you have plenty of room to work with and dont stress anything

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 1:53 AM
Wednesday, October 22, 2008 3:40 AM
They won't work with the eco s/c reflash - youll need to start from scratch with hpt. Most would argue that your better off that way anyways

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 5:24 AM
yea sounds like a good plan but the reflash already is a conservative tune AFR and TIMING wise...now you throw meth @ it untuned, not that good of an idea without being able to compensate for it. hit me up on aim or something and we'll chat it up.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 6:51 AM
yeah, if going reflash route, you have to get reflash injectors.

not a bad place to start to get it driving around.

BUT, pick up a spare computer to do the reflash on, and then use the other one to tune w/ HPT. Then you can swap injectors, pulleys, meth, etc.

But the eco flash is uneditable, so you are stuck with it.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 10:54 AM
Kyle- A lot of guys are going this route and running fine..

GM Reflash
3.0 Pulley
Aeromotive AFPR
Cobalt SS injectors (36lbs)
Higher flowing fuel pump ( MSD inline) or I am personally getting the racetronix since my fuel tank is out right now.

Aaron (professorJ) when he had that setup on the Phlatcav hit 245whp and 249tq.

I am personally going that route once I get my car up and running with the blower. Then getting into HP tuners and what not after I figure out where I am at then.

Wednesday, October 22, 2008 12:36 PM
I was planing on picking up a spare ECU and letting someone with HPTuners have their way with it, but it will be kinda hard to get it HPTuned when no one has it up here. The GM reflash is mainly just so i can drive it to get it where i need too come springtime.

K Vega and PJ, i'll get a hold of you guys tomarrow.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:02 PM
If you really do plan to upgrade to the 2.79" pulley, you shoud go ahead and plan your injectors around that setting.

so on a LD9 with a stock 6.5" crank pulley, and 2.79" SC pulley, your drive ratio would be 2.32:1

looking at the M62 compressor map shown here... http://www.eaton.com/ecm/groups/public/@pub/@eaton/@per/documents/content/ct_128484.gif

you can calculate your SC's top speed in relation to your engines top speed. So, the LD9 redlines at lets say 6500RPM's, right?

so 6500 x 2.32 = 15080 SC RPM's. First off, your above the Eaton guide lines as to blower speed, it should never operate over 14K, and only above 12K for short periods. At any rate, the compressor map shows the SC would be putting out lets say 950 Cubic Meters per Hour ( M^3/Hr )... again, i had to guess becuase your off the top of the compressor map... (BAD, lol)

so, cubic meters can be converted to cubic feet with this formula... ( CuMtrs x 35.3145 = CuFt) so, 950 x 35.3145= 33548.775 CUFT PER HOUR.

lets now find out how many CFM's by dividing by 60... so 33548.775 divided by 60 = 559.14625 CFM's.

so, your blower will flow roughly 560 CFM's at this drive ratio. you really need to figure out the real density (temp) of your aftercooled charge, but lets take a stab at it. lets say your intercooler can get the temp down to 85 degree's.

one cubic foot of air wieghts 0.07282 per pound at 85*
so, 560 x 0.07282 = 40.7792lbs per min

in able to maintain a good 12.5:1 air fuel ratio, you will need at bare minimum 40.7792 divided by 12 = 3.398lbs/min of fuel

now, take that to lbs/hr by multiplying by 60, so 3.398 x 60 = 203lbs per minute.

next, you will have a total of four injectors doing all the work, so divide by 4, and you get.... 50.9lbs/hr or 535cc/min

lastly, you should ALWAYS plan on a 20% overhead for safety. so, 51lbs/hr x 120% = 61lbs/hr or 642cc's/min injectors.

also, now that you know your fuel requirement, you can calculate HP "roughly"

since you only "required" 51lbs of fuel per minute, your approx. hp will be about 300 on the crank with this blower at this drive ratio... roughly, it may be a little more or a little less depending on a whole miraid of things.

M90'd Built LGO-15 PSI
http://webstarts.com/quadper4mance
Thursday, October 23, 2008 4:33 PM
Well i talked with PJ and i guess the plan is to run the LSJ injectors with the 3.0"(no cams or meth) and the GM reflash. Then picking up another ECU and Siemens 575cc injectors(i didnt see any 550cc on the site PJ recommened) and them getting it tuned with HP Tuners. The cams and meth will most likely be mid-summer upgrades.

I'll proboly save the 2.79" pulley and a shot of nitrous for when i decide that im not liking the power gains from the stock L61/M62 setup. You know, give the stocker one last moment of glory then pick up another ECO to build.

Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:10 PM
one other thing to come to terms with...
you will require a total fuel amount of 51lbs/hr x 4injectors = 204lbs/hr of fuel pump supply

fuel wieghs 6lbs per gallon. so, 204lbs divided by 6lbs = 34Gallons per hour.

your stock fuel pump is only a 20 gallon per hour pump. it MUST be replaced, or you engine will explode around 4500RPMs during WOT.

the pump you need is... 34lbs/hr x 120%safety margin = 40.8 Gallons per hour

you need a 40 GPH -or- 155LPH pump

M90'd Built LGO-15 PSI
http://webstarts.com/quadper4mance

Thursday, October 23, 2008 6:18 PM
I was figuring a new fuel pump will be needed.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search