Cobalt SS vs Cavalier 2.2 GMPP Supercharged - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Cobalt SS vs Cavalier 2.2 GMPP Supercharged
Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:27 PM
Besides the Cobalt having a de-stroked 2.0 Ecotec engine, what are the differences between the Cobalt SSsupercharged setup and the 03-05 Cavalier with the GMPP Supercharger kit? Different size injectors? Different pulley? Different cooling techniques? You tell me!!

Thank you for your complete answers!!! Really appreciate it!!

Becauase shouldn't a 2.2 Ecotec with the kit be just as fast as a stock SSsupercharged?

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Pacesetter armor coated header
-Magnaflow 22" resonator (p/n 10436)
-Vibrant CatBack
-TTR Upper and Lower motor mounts

Re: Cobalt SS vs Cavalier 2.2 GMPP Supercharged
Sunday, October 26, 2008 4:32 PM
There isn't a difference in the 2.2 kit and the cobalt s/c except for the PCM program. The 2.2 kit gets a crap tacular reflash from the dealer that goes extra rich the second you see boost. I'm assuming they made a better program for the cobalts.
Sunday, October 26, 2008 5:19 PM
Mr.Choo wrote:There isn't a difference in the 2.2 kit and the cobalt s/c except for the PCM program. The 2.2 kit gets a crap tacular reflash from the dealer that goes extra rich the second you see boost. I'm assuming they made a better program for the cobalts.

Uhhhh...from what I've read the SSsupercharged is intercooled.....

and are the injectors that come with the 2.2 kit the same injectors as the SS's? along with the same pulley size?

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Sunday, October 26, 2008 5:59 PM
ya and you can buy the intercooler for the GMPP kit for the 2.2 as well

the SS getss about 10psi and the 2.2 gets about 6-7

Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:29 PM
I C.... Thanks!

so for the other part of my question....

and are the injectors that come with the 2.2 kit the same injectors as the SS's? along with the same pulley size?

Thanks guys!!

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Sunday, October 26, 2008 7:41 PM
well with my 2.2 eco kit i was seeing 10-11 psi all the time and 12 on cold nights with the stock pulley, and that was exactly what my buddies SS/SC was seeing on his, and then when i switched to the 3.0 pulley, i saw 12 all the time and between 13-14 on cool nights, again my buddy saw the same thing with his 3.0. Whenever me and my buddy ran our cars against eachother i would pull a car on him till 3rd gear and then he would slowly start to catch me as their gears are a little longer, but i would always beat him at by at least .3 at the track.

The 2.2 kit comes ready to be intercooled, the ports on the manifold are just capped off, if you buy a heat exchanger and pump and hoses you can intercool it.

no the injectors are not the same as the SS's the kit comes with special injectors to fit the 03+ fuel rail, and yes they both come from gm with the same pulley size.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:09 PM
the 2.2 ecotec crank pulley is a different size which is the difference between boost levels. 03supercharged car was a freak , thankfully I have his old engine in my garage

also the 2.2 l61 is 10:1 compression and the lsj's are 9.5:1.. there are a lot of minor differences between the two engines, but should be about equal stock-stock s/c.

I have a LSJ, and with a 3.1 pulley i see 12-13 psi all the time, 14-15 on cold nights.. 2.9" pulley i saw 14-15 all the time 16-17 on cold nights.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:19 PM
There's a lot more involved than just the engine, when it comes to time slips. We're talking totally different vehicles here, not just different displacements and injectors.

14.330 @ 96.37mph
Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:28 PM
Sweet!! We'll Im not gettin it intercooled right away but I plan on getting a 3" pulley from the start and not even putting on the pulley that comes with the kit. Is that ok? If so do you think I will see 8-9 PSI instead of 6-7 from stock?

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:37 PM
you will see about 10psi with the stock pulley, i think the 6-7psi is for the ld9 2.4 supercharger not the ecotec m62, and just to be safe i wouldn't go to the 3.0 until you get the intercooler.

Sunday, October 26, 2008 8:44 PM
03supercharged wrote:you will see about 10psi with the stock pulley, i think the 6-7psi is for the ld9 2.4 supercharger not the ecotec m62, and just to be safe i wouldn't go to the 3.0 until you get the intercooler.

I C....so you got intercooled when you installed the kit? Because you got 10-11 PSI with the stock pulley with or without the intercooler?

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack

Sunday, October 26, 2008 10:41 PM
I intercooled it a month after installing the kit, and i saw the same amount of psi as when i wasn't intercooled, it just makes more power because of the drop in air temps, I just think you should wait to put the 3.0 pulley untill you put the intercooler on because of the heat created from the blower rotating at a faster rate.

Monday, October 27, 2008 1:17 PM
Ok great, so you put the 3.0 pulley on when you intercooled it?

If so I think I will do the same!!

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Monday, October 27, 2008 1:56 PM
Eric Schellpeper wrote:Ok great, so you put the 3.0 pulley on when you intercooled it?

If so I think I will do the same!!

Yep, i think i put it on like 30mins after i installed the heat exchanger lol

Have fun man!

Monday, October 27, 2008 2:23 PM
Stock boost should be around 10 psi...it varies a little bit from vehicle to vehicle though.

Buy My Crap.
Random Stuff:http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6590
[WTB]http://www.ecotecforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7348
Monday, October 27, 2008 3:55 PM
Mr.Choo wrote:There isn't a difference in the 2.2 kit and the cobalt s/c except for the PCM program. The 2.2 kit gets a crap tacular reflash from the dealer that goes extra rich the second you see boost. I'm assuming they made a better program for the cobalts.

The cobalt is tuned very rich as well, and it gets worse with the "staged" kits. The biggest difference is the tunability on the cobalt, HPT grants access to map and maf tuning, and its much easier to dial in AFR's and timing at higher HP levels. Tuning a 2.2 GMPP s/c car above "2 bar" and 7000 rpm is a guessing game at best, but there are some that manage.

Monday, October 27, 2008 4:05 PM
Ahh ic...well Im not very experienced with computer tuning etc. So I will definetly get the re-flash

JW has anyone or does anyone know of someone who has but a 3.1 or 3.1 pulley or the 2.2 kit without intercooling it?

I probly won't but JW...

I estimate with the 2.2 Kit (non intercooled for now) with my Vibrant Cat-back system and a hacked up K&N Typhoon intake along with the Autotrans Interceptor with my AUTOMATIC, I plan on hitting the 14.6-14.8 sec range....Maybe

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Vibrant CatBack
Tuesday, October 28, 2008 3:53 AM
Eric Schellpeper wrote:Ahh ic...well Im not very experienced with computer tuning etc. So I will definetly get the re-flash

JW has anyone or does anyone know of someone who has but a 3.1 or 3.1 pulley or the 2.2 kit without intercooling it?

I probly won't but JW...

I estimate with the 2.2 Kit (non intercooled for now) with my Vibrant Cat-back system and a hacked up K&N Typhoon intake along with the Autotrans Interceptor with my AUTOMATIC, I plan on hitting the 14.6-14.8 sec range....Maybe

i ran my s/c w/ 3.1 w/out a HEAT EXCHANGER for about 3 weeks. i dont recommend it. you are forcin some serious heat into your engine.

please people, it's not an intercooler. it's not a turbo. get it out of your vocabulary. heat exchanger is your word.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search