I'm upgrading my saab kit - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I'm upgrading my saab kit
Tuesday, October 28, 2008 12:25 PM
Ok so, I'm not going to sell my car. I'm going to upgrade it a little more.
Right now im running the saabkit b207r,fmic,reflash, cobalt s/c greentops, 02 rail.....
Im looking at a td04hl-16t or 14t

I'm thiking im going to run a wideband and fmu,
I know im going to need a new pump and injectors, and blah blah blah

What do I need to upgrade in my drivetrain.
I haven't found a place yet where they sell upgraded axels,cvs or whatever.

I'm not a mechanic so i honestly dont know whats going to break. Fill me in?

Thx

Re: I'm upgrading my saab kit
Tuesday, October 28, 2008 1:59 PM
Your drivetrain should be good for at least 250hp. What you need to worry about if you're upgrading the turbo is tuning, since you are running the s/c reflash i presume. The basic saab turbo performs much like the s/c at stock boost, but once you upgrade and start making significant power, as well as needing higher flow injectors, the reflash won't cut it. The FMU may get you close for fueling with the reflash, but you won't have control of timing.

If your goals are over 250hp you're advised to upgrade rods/pistons.

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 3:01 PM
Ok timing right....

But what if I run 8.9:1 pistons with the reflash? will I still need to pull timing?
Oh and a correction, im looking for the TD04HL-18T upgrade.
I think the simplest and most costeffective way to go it getting my turbo rebuilt with 18T clipped blades.

And what if I want over 250 hp.
What will fail in my drivetain?

Thx
Tuesday, October 28, 2008 3:05 PM
If it was me I would swap out the ECU you have for a stock ECU and use HPT to tune the car. I know a guy getting 266whp and 265wtq on a stock Ecotec with green tops on 12psi using a stock ECU with HPT for tuning.

FU Tuning

Tuesday, October 28, 2008 3:47 PM
I would start thinking about a clutch upgrade. If you plan on hard launches/drag radials, then possibly axles. If it is just a beast of a daily driver that's not going to be beaten on relentlessly, than the stockers should hold out. Of course, poly trans and motor mounts are a big plus.

Boost without timing control is never a good idea. Lower compression will ultimately allow you to run more boost at a given octane, but at high hp levels, KR and knock are the devil.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search