Turbo gurus, need help!!! - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo gurus, need help!!!
Saturday, November 01, 2008 2:26 PM
I just finished the turbo install the other day, and the car has ran great for the past 2 days. Then, I started hearing a faint whining noise and the car still boosted, then it just kep coming on stronger. Now the car will not go into boost maybe 1 psi at times, and when the vacume drops and gets close to boost its just a extremely loud whining noise. The car still runs fine, but just will not boost and makes that loud ass noise when getting close to it. The turbo sounds fine spooling when Im just crusing and barely into the throttle. Now heres a few thoughts...

Oiling is fine, no smoke and not leaking at all.

I thought the wastegate extension off the manifold was leaking so I pulled it and rewelded it but still the same, and I couldnt find any manifold cracks.

The wastegate is a tial 38mm with tial 7.3 small green spring, could it be sticking? but then what would the noise be?

I realy think its the turbo but I dont know what happened. Its a new turbonetics t3 super 60 .60/.48, and if it went bad what is most possible caused it? Would it make a noise like that?

I am using a tial 50mm bov which I think the spring is rated for like 2psi off of what my idle is, could this have anything to do with it? I also heard that smaller turbos dont like the tial bov, if this is a problem how is the super 60 with it?

I did cut a groove in my phenolic intake spacer from the pcv port in the head to one of the cylinders, thoughts on this with boost?

Ive checked all the charge piping and all is fine, and vacume is right where it should be so I dont see any leaks.

What the hell happened? I think its the turbo but wouldnt it still boost at all if a bearing went bad or something? Like said all oiling seems fine, no smoking or anything from the turbo either.

I

Re: Turbo gurus, need help!!!
Saturday, November 01, 2008 4:11 PM
rip your compessor charge pipe off and try and wiggle and spin your shaft and hit me back sounds like your bearings are fried.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Saturday, November 01, 2008 6:12 PM
Dont you mean intake? I cant realy spin the shaft through the compressor outlet

What the hell could have caused that? As said the oiling system is fine, its a standard bearing turbo.

Saturday, November 01, 2008 6:53 PM
Ill have to wait until the morning to check how it spins and the shaft play. I have a new set of bearings I could put in if need be, but what the hell would wear them out that fast? I dont realy see how, but could venting that pcv port to a manifold port be hurting something in the oil system?

Anyone else have any input?? I need help!!!!

Saturday, November 01, 2008 8:39 PM
this same thing just happened to my brother on his talon. he installed a new Evo 18G, and used teflon tape on the oil feed. a small peice of the tape got into the bearing, and seized it. the thing is shot, shaft wiggles all over the place now. sounds like the same thing here.

M90'd Built LGO-15 PSI
http://webstarts.com/quadper4mance
Saturday, November 01, 2008 9:01 PM
sounds to me like your turbo met the same fate as mine did....

Acording to the guys in this thread....

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=157481&t=157481

I bet it has ALOT to do with your plumbing the PCV port into a positively charged intake port.

Sweetness went thru 2 turbos due to a blocked PCV port... I think mine died due to my pcv being vented to my positively charged TB.

It sounds like building positive crankcase pressure does not allow the gravity return to drain the oil from the turbo...

I will be pulling my turbo off tomorrow to see the damage.... i will report back.

but i am willing to bet your turbos fate is in the hands of that grove you cut.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 1:28 AM
Ima pull the turbo tomorow and check it out. if a bearing goes bad it wont boost at all?

and i just cant realy understand the hole pcv system thing. the stock intake mani has grooves that run from the pcv port to each runner and many people have boosted on the stock mani. should i fill the groove i cut or no?

Sunday, November 02, 2008 1:40 AM
Take intake/air filter off, grab nut on the compressor wheel, if there is a ton of movement start saving because you need a new turbo. Sounds like the same thing that happened to me. Jakelegend can tell ya all about that...

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:35 AM
icemike89 wrote:Ima pull the turbo tomorow and check it out. if a bearing goes bad it wont boost at all?

and i just cant realy understand the hole pcv system thing. the stock intake mani has grooves that run from the pcv port to each runner and many people have boosted on the stock mani. should i fill the groove i cut or no?

I never understood PCV either... but just recently "got it"

PCV "positive crankcase ventilation" is the process of eliminating pressure from building up on the wrong side of the pistons. If you want the most power you want all the pressure on the top if the piston, and as little pressure as possible under them. Well due to engines not being perfect, you will always get some pressure leaking past the rings to the crankcase (blowby). PCV was designed to allow the pressure built in the crankcase to vent itself. (and in most cases, to actually have it sucked out by a vacuum source)

In the case of aftermarket turbo's and blowers, most of the places that used to be vacuums now fluctuate between vacuum and boost. In the case of turbos. this can be a doubly bad thing. first of all, you are loosing power because your "boosting" both sides of your piston... and piston movement is driven by pressures trying to equalize themself. so the less pressure differential, the less you piston tries to equal them out. More importantly than that.....

The drain line on most turbo'ed LD9's runs into a bung on the side of the oil pan. (This i am learning is not really the best place, as even putting it as high on the pan as you can get it, it is usually below the oil level, i found this out one time i pulled my return off with my car off, and got oil pouring out all over me.) So this is not the best approach to begin with, and then the fact you have to bend your line around the CV shaft as well... usually makes for a less than ideal drain line. For a gravity fed return, you want as straight, as short, and as verticle a drain line as you can get... well we strike out on all 3 of those.

But then you add positive pressure to the crankcase, and now the oil already wants to "leave the engine". So your less than ideal gravity return now becomes almost "corked" by the presurized oil it is submerged under. You SHOULD still get some flow, as i would hope the oil pressure is greater than the crankcase pressure, but as has been proven on several of our cars... this isn't enough flow to keep a turbo healthy.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:12 AM
So if the bearings are shot and there is alot of shaft play, theres no way to rebuild it? I actualy have new bearings/seals, and can get the shaft balanced for cheap. Just dont have the money to shell out for a new turbo right now, well atleast what Id like to get lol.

I just want to keep this from happening again. I guess Im gona seal off the pcv groove and hope nothing got sucked down into the turbo. Ill only use teflon paste from now on lol, no more tape.

Thanks for the help guys. Ill post up later with what I find going on with the turbo.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 8:31 AM
Never use teflon tape on fuel or oil fittings. Teflon paste is what you want.

Never use gasket sealer on your oil return and its gasket. You think gasket sealer is made for 1500-1600 degrees?

Mike, I tried to tell you nicely to quickly undo that PCV hole. While I know it goes against what has been done conventionally, you'll see that even GM went to the effort with the GMSC to block off the PCV hole from the runners on the S/C and then run a line PRE SUPERCHARGER so that it has vaccum.

The last thing you want in you PCV is boost. Punch this into google "PCV + BOOST" and see what comes up.

As stated, remove the turbo intake, and check the wheel for play. Also make sure that the wastegate isn't stuck open, and check your BOV. You could easily be venting all your boost.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...

Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:59 AM
SweetnessGT wrote:and check your BOV. You could easily be venting all your boost.

I typically agree with you on most things but a Tial BOV leaking? That's a stretch.

---------------------------------------------------
4 Cams...32 Valves...5 Liters...This Could Get Fun!

Sunday, November 02, 2008 12:49 PM
Ok so I felt the shaft, there is a bit of play but its not too bad, and it spins nice and freely just like when I put it on. Im gona pull it tomorow and take it apart and see if I can do something with it or if its completely @!#$, as well as seal the pcv hole. When the idea of the groove happened I was excited and hadnt even thought about the boost aspect, glad I didnt cut grooves to each of the intake runners and all over the spacer lol.

And yea I used teflon here and there, but mostly paste. No silicon on the oil pan, used the proper gasket and not leaking a drop of oil from either oil line or the pan. If the bearings went completely wouldnt there be smoke? Im not getting any smoke at all, I guess Ill have to wait until I pull the turbo off tomorow.

Oh and checking the wg and bov were the first thing I did, I even pulled my wg extension to reweld it making sure there were no holes in it.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:55 PM
alright, well after checking out my turbo and feed and return lines, and finding everything to be as it should be.... I figured i would slap everything back together and take her for a spin see if my noises were gone....

sure enough they were still there..... but more interestingly, i had NO TURBO pressure. My SC maxed out at like 5psi, but the turbo would hit 0psi and stay. almost nothing i could do would give me positive pressure before the SC.

So ironically, it sounds like i am in the same boat as Ice Mike here...

i dont know where all my turbo pressure went to... i can hear it spinning up... but there is a kinda loud whooshing sound... i dont know if it is something going on on the exhaust side, or maybe just a stuck wastegate... my wastegate pipes arent the greatest design, and the wooshing noise could be all my exhaust trying to cram its way thru my craptastic wastegate downpipe.

I guess next thing for me to do is tear into the wastegate, and see what she is looking like... i am pretty sure the turbo itself is fine... but with my boost disappearing too... it has got to be going somewhere...

So Icemike, keep me posted as to your progress and findings, and i will do the same for you.... but it sounds like we may be facing the same issue.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:28 PM
Ummm you do realise that if the exhaust gas was unable to make it through the WG to DP tubing you would have more pressure than what the WG spring is set to, right? If its tsill close to the same as when it was in my car then your problem lies elsewhere.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:21 PM
Skunk wrote:
SweetnessGT wrote:and check your BOV. You could easily be venting all your boost.

I typically agree with you on most things but a Tial BOV leaking? That's a stretch.

I was more thinking in how it may be adjusted. Sometimes people have them set way too soft and they leak, or they aren't secured properly and a decent but weak seal quickly becomes a leak. The simple things are often overlooked.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:32 PM
I thought wg as well but I couldnt see what could be happening to cause this. Im pretty sure its the turbo somehow cause it sounds like its right there in front of the firewall when Im driving. I forgot I have a turbo sitting around off my buddies car that didnt have any problems when pulled, Im gona try that and see what happens to know if it was the turbo, its a tiny little .42/.48 lol.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:58 PM
mitdr774 wrote:Ummm you do realise that if the exhaust gas was unable to make it through the WG to DP tubing you would have more pressure than what the WG spring is set to, right? If its tsill close to the same as when it was in my car then your problem lies elsewhere.

Did you have 2 springs with the WG?

when i got the kit, your buddy sold it to me with a "weak spring" in the WG for "tuning". and a better spring in a box of parts...

i dont know if the spring in there now is the same one you had in there, or if that was put in since you sold it...

But i am really thinking/hoping that it is just a WG.... turbo seems fine... BOV seems fine... charge pipes all intact....

what else would make me loose ALL turbo PSI? when i punch it, the needle jumps to 0psi and stays there....

I may try to hook a webcam up to watch the BOV as i drive... see if it is opening... if it isnt... then it can only be the WG.

But it sound like the wooshing noise is right thru the firewall. and my bov is way up in front of the engine. by the radiator.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 10:20 PM
Same exact thing here ken the noise is right at the firewall. the noise starts to come on when vacume drops lower than 10 and just get louder and doest boost at all.

ken maybe we should make vids to compare the sound

Monday, November 03, 2008 2:12 AM
I only had a 7.35 PSI spring for the WG. I never changed it.

Monday, November 03, 2008 5:36 AM
After driving again I can definitely tell the noise is right there infront of the firewall, and damn its loud and just gets louder if the vacume gets cloer to the boost mark. Feeling my turbo it realy didnt feel too bad, but like said Ill have to wait to pull it and check it out.

Monday, November 03, 2008 3:55 PM
Pulled the turbo off, there is deifnitely alot of side-side play and a bit in-out. The bearings are probably @!#$, it looks like a piece of teflon may actualy have gotten down in there but not sure until I take it apart. Ill put on the little spare turbo I have and see how it is. I sealed off the groove in the intake spacer with some silicon so hopefully it will keep it from getting vacume down in there. Im also got a function7 bolt on feed flange with built in restrictor instead of the couple fittings I was using, maybe it was choking it somehow.

It should be together tomorow, Ill post up what happens.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:02 PM
Ok, well thanks to the magic of technology, i can assure you the problem is not the BOV.

I hooked a webcam up in my engine bay and watched the BOV in action as i drove about.... It functions just as i imagine it should.

except it doesnt "blow anything off" since there is no turbo pressure to blow... but it opens and closed just fine acording to the vacuum in the system

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:32 PM
Haha, good job man. Im pretty sure its not my bov since the noise is right there at the firewall.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 10:15 PM
um.... ok... i figured out my problem....

I have no exhaust.

I dont mean no exhaust SYSTEM... the system is there... there is just no exhaust FOR the system....

after checking everything i could check... i just gave her a drive around the block to think and pay attention to the problem...

at a stop sign i got out to listen to my exhaust and sure enough, there was nothing to listen to... there was hardly even a warm breeze coming out of the tail pipe....

Something has my entire exhaust clogged to all get out...

IceMike had told me that he thought his 130k mile Cat was clogged.... well i told him "my exhaust including cat are brand new high flow 2.5" stuff, so i doubt that is my issue..."

but i just had to check, cuz ya never know... and sure enough!!!

geeze... what could completely clog a brand new exhaust??

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search