Boost Issue.. Suggestions? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boost Issue.. Suggestions?
Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:49 AM
I have a tial wastegate with a 5 pound spring in it, MBC also. The car wont make boost if the boost controller is hooked up the way it should (diagram)- http://www.gnttype.org/techarea/images/wstgate.gif.... the only way it will make boost is if i run a line from the turbo to the MBC then to the top of the WG, then running a vac line from the manifold to the bottom of the gate.. and that gives me 1-2 psi thats it. Im pretty much out of ideas on how to fix this or what the problem is any help would be great thanks.

Re: Boost Issue.. Suggestions?
Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:50 AM
Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:30 PM
All i can say to that diagram is... WTF?

That diagram is wrong. Run your boost/vac source to the MBC inlet port, then the outlet port to the lower wastegate port. The port on top stays open nothing hooked to it. Try that and let me know.
Sunday, November 02, 2008 3:45 PM
Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:All i can say to that diagram is... WTF?

That diagram is wrong. Run your boost/vac source to the MBC inlet port, then the outlet port to the lower wastegate port. The port on top stays open nothing hooked to it. Try that and let me know.

The diagram is right for some wasteagtes but wrong for others.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:29 PM
i just put a bigger spring in the wastegate 13.5, now it builds 3-4 psi with the 13 pound spring, and it build 1-2 with the 5 pound spring

Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:36 PM
I swapped a heavier spring in my wastegate, and totally removed the MBC, so a line runs from the compressor housing to the bottom of the WG. I can see 3-4psi at most, and the turbo is whining quite loud. Almost sounds the same when an intercooler pipe blows off and the turbo just dumps into the open air, for those of you that have heard what that sounds like before. Could my turbo be blown?

Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:40 PM
That looks like a different style of boost controller they show you. Some Electronic controllers use both top and bottom port. You should only be using the bottom. The top port pushes down on the wastegate (or in vacuum pulls it open, in which it may be trapping vacuum pressure on that side and holding it open). Try and run it only on the bottom port without the boost controller first and see what happens. If it runs normally boost levels of 5psi, then cut the line and add in the boost controller, it should be fully backed off to not any boost, then tighten it down only a turn or two at a time and keep an eye on your boost level. Just try it. I never have seen one rigged up the way that diagram pictured it.
Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:42 PM
Sounds like your wastegate is just open all the time.... Try and hose it the way i described and let me know if that works.
Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:47 PM
Mark Raimo wrote:...and totally removed the MBC, so a line runs from the compressor housing to the bottom of the WG. I can see 3-4psi at most, and the turbo is whining quite loud. Almost sounds the same when an intercooler pipe blows off and the turbo just dumps into the open air, for those of you that have heard what that sounds like before.

he's got a line coming from the reference port on the turbo, to the bottom of his wg. same way you described vulcan but with no MBC in there.
Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:49 PM
Srry posted without finishing. So hes got it hooked up the way you said with a 13.5psi spring and hes only seeing 3-4 psi. What could cause his WG to stay open? Maybe he's missing the valve seat that goes between the WG and the flange?
Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:50 PM
hmmm. Is the manifold cracked in any locations? Have the pipes been checked over to make sure none of the silicon connectors tore? Some of the cheaper connectors can simpy just tear and will let all the pressure out under boost but will appear in tact when just idling or not running.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:53 PM
i have your manifold vulcan turbo its brand new i dont think its cracked its pretty solid i checked all my charge pipe and couplers those seem fine, i have a 15 dollar cheap bov on it i think its leaking mostly right out of that seeing as the bov does not open its pointless to even be on the car right now. im waiting on my new one

Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:55 PM
This sounds like the problem ken soggs is having...
Sunday, November 02, 2008 5:59 PM
Kyle Sheldon wrote:This sounds like the problem ken soggs is having...

yeah tell me about it... me and icemike seem to be having the same issues... come join our thread!!!

i think it is either a BOV or WG at fault... my turbo seems just fine.

I am working on it as we speak.

Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:07 PM
im going to put just a normal straight charge pipe, get rid of the bov and the pipe its on and if it still doesnt build boost im gunna start leaning toward my turbos seeing its last days..

Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:11 PM
Ah very good, i dont think your manifold will ever crack. Have yet to hear of one that has.
Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:12 PM
What exactly is the pcv valve or port im reading this also may be the problem..

Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:19 PM
ok back in from the garage.....

BOV is fine... seems to work as it always has....

i do have my questions as to how well the wastegate is working.

I wonder if i tore my diaphram.

the one thing i did notice that has me wondering.... if i stick my hand back by the turbo while it is running, there is a pretty serious exhaust leak back there... a very hot stream of air coming from somewhere back there... i just cant seem to see where....

Could a wastegate blow so bar that is seaps exhaust out as well?

It is so strange that all of this is happenening all at once. (and to so many different people at the same time)

Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:23 PM
Yeah im surprised to read so many recent threads of this happening almost the exact same stuff to everyone, from wut i understand our return lines from our turbos are blocking are pcv valve then, isent that just lovely, so how do we go about helping this situation seeing as are cars run lower oil pressure than most others? any ideas

Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:30 PM
Well really a turbo doesnt need all that much oil pressure, the ideal pressure for a turbo to run at is only 30psi. So i dont think oil is your problem.
Sunday, November 02, 2008 6:38 PM
When i had my gauge in before boost i ran at about 20 so im not sure

Sunday, November 02, 2008 7:28 PM
Mark Raimo wrote:... from wut i understand our return lines from our turbos are blocking are pcv valve then, isent that just lovely, so how do we go about helping this situation seeing as are cars run lower oil pressure than most others? any ideas

Go read over it again, you totally missed the boat on my PCV post.

I'd hate for misinformation to be spread.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search