based on your experiances...... - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
based on your experiances......
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 1:06 AM
what has been your favorite turbo you have used thus far? just like to know what other J owners have found to work good on thier cars

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike wrote:The auto to manual swap is not as involved as you would think.
Get all the parts you need in a pile, and drive the car into it.
They will find their way into the correct places.

Re: based on your experiances......
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 2:22 AM
If your not doing an engine build most guys use a t3 or a t3 super 60....

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 5:44 AM
It depends on what engine and for what goal.

Ecotec:
- daily driver/AutoX- Saab kit (cheap and easy too)
- drag racer - GT35R (check out whats going on now in P&M, low 11's

LD9:
- daily driver/AutoX - T3 super 60
- drag racer - GT35R (multiple 11/12 sec cars on this turbo)

LN2:
- daily driver/AutoX - T3
- drag racer - GT30R

A build LN2 with ported head could probably spool a GT35R, but I would guess that the stock exhaust ports would be a huge restriction in spooling that turbo.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:01 AM
I always used a T3/T4 on my old car.. worked very well.. spooled about 2500 and never felt the top end drop off

LE61T PTE6262 Powered

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 6:49 AM
How about the guys going out of the ordinary using anything BUT Garret/Precision/Turbonetics.

I'll be using a BorgWarner/Bullseye S250 - Compressor: 56mm inducer, 73.5mm exducer; Turbine: 69.4mm (70mm) inducer, 61.5mm exducer and either a Bullseye .70 A/R T3 exhaust housing or an AGP divided T4 .83 A/R exhaust housing...haven't decided yet.

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 7:03 AM
Thrice . wrote:How about the guys going out of the ordinary using anything BUT Garret/Precision/Turbonetics.

I'll be using a BorgWarner/Bullseye S250 - Compressor: 56mm inducer, 73.5mm exducer; Turbine: 69.4mm (70mm) inducer, 61.5mm exducer and either a Bullseye .70 A/R T3 exhaust housing or an AGP divided T4 .83 A/R exhaust housing...haven't decided yet.

Good point - I'd love to see the LNF's K04 retrofitted to an L61 - I'm sure it would be similar to the saab setup, but it's another option nonetheless

Tuesday, November 04, 2008 12:53 PM
Not bad thrice, I'm using a BorgWarner / IHI GM-3 Turbo off the duramax diesel. Funky downpipe flange ftl.

Oldskool listed all the .org favorites.

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Tuesday, November 04, 2008 1:48 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:Not bad thrice, I'm using a BorgWarner / IHI GM-3 Turbo off the duramax diesel. Funky downpipe flange ftl.

Oldskool listed all the .org favorites.

-Chris-

I was originally looking at the Holset HY35 but didn't want to go through the trouble of welding the internal wastegate shut to go external.

I just happened to stumble upon the BW line and researched them a bit more after a few words of advice from "whalesac" in my build thread. The Extended Tip compressor wheels put up a compelling argument against any of the GT-BB CHRA's from garrett. Not to mention the S200's are EVERYWHERE lol. Caterpillar uses them, John Deere(which is what mine was off of) and a few Dodge cummins use a Holset turbo but with a BW turbine. Never new just how popular BW really are, behinde the scenes!

I managed to pick up my rebuilt S200 for $400 shipped including duty and tax. It originally came with a compressor of 50mm ind./73.5mm exd. but i'm swapping for the bullseye power 56mm ind./ 73.5mm exd.

gotta say, best bang for the buck!

I'm putting together a list of comparable turbos to the garrett GT lineup (BW/Bullseye/Holset/Schwitzer, versus, Garret) so that people can see they have an inexpensive alternative to such turbos as the GT3071R and GT35R.... I'm hoping for a sticky when the time comes lol.

Friday, November 07, 2008 12:29 AM
I use a big 16G on my Ecotec. Works great with fast spool up

Currently #4 in Ecotec Forced Induction horsepower ratings. 505.8 WHP 414WTQ!!!
Currently 3rd quickest Ecotec on the .org - 10.949 @ 131.50 MPH!!!

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search