has anyone polished their own s/c - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
has anyone polished their own s/c
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:17 AM
like it says has anyone polished there own s/c, i have a m62 s/c that i'm looking to polish my self any one know how to go about this, or where to start? thanks for the help.

Re: has anyone polished their own s/c
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:26 AM
I've only ever seen companies offering it that i know of.
A handful of LSJ's have them but I'm sure that they paid big bucks for it.
Wish I knew how to also haha would look awesome.

Lols.
Wednesday, November 19, 2008 8:44 AM
yea i have looked up some companys and some changed $750, so i would like to know how to do it and do it my self. i have seen the m62 s/c polished and looks pretty sick and with what i'm goin for under the hood it'll be worth it.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:59 AM
depending on how rough it is start with say a 100 grit sandpaper, sand it smooth then go with 200 grit then 400 grit then 800 grit then 1000 grit then a polishing compound and buffing compounds. for the size and time it take to do i'd spend the money to have it done myself.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/sndsgood/ https://www.facebook.com/#!/Square1Photography
Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:29 AM
sndsgood wrote:depending on how rough it is start with say a 100 grit sandpaper, sand it smooth then go with 200 grit then 400 grit then 800 grit then 1000 grit then a polishing compound and buffing compounds. for the size and time it take to do i'd spend the money to have it done myself.

couldn't agree more. i think Stiegemeier does it for 750 plus they port it. it's so awesome. i got it back in like 1.5 weeks. i've seen some people do it. 05xtremecav i think he did his. his looks pretty good but still doesnt have that extra effort that Stiegemeier did on mine.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:22 AM
I checked with Stiegemeier and they said 750 for the polish with a clear coat. then another 200 for the port job. Yeah its not cheap but probably your best bet if you wanna go polished.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:15 AM

man that looks soo sweet, yea i know its not cheap i checked into my self, i didnt think they cleared coated u would think after awhile the clear would start peeling off from the heat in the engine bay. I do some searching on the web on how to polish metal and i found a pretty useful guide so last night i went out and got some polishing supplies and a polishing kit and some other things from work to try and polish my m62 s/c, i would send it out to have it done but i'm the kind of guy that would like to learn to do it and plus money is really tight
when u have a wedding to plan and a 2 year old son. i'll keep every one posted on how i make out and hopfully ill have pics from start to finish on this project.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:18 AM
I have read on cobaltss.net of many of them doing there chargers. Just takes time and patients.

FU Tuning

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:20 AM
THEY DON'T CLEAR COAT IT OR COAT IT WITH ANYTHING!

Professional metal finishers that polish these use a HUGE as in like 5ft diameter buffing wheel on a machine that looks like a giant bench grinder to polish them. Doing it yourself would take hours of sanding even with power tools and would not come off looking as good. It is worth it to pay stiegmeier. You will be happy with the polish job.

Keep in mind keeping a polished part clean requires alot of time! Constant like every time you wash your car polishing it with metal polish to keep looking pristene.

Don't trust anything anyone says about price. Call them yourself! They have a hard time of coming up with a consitent price for the polish work. They may have got pricing straight with the m62, but when I had my m45 done I was told 3 different prices by them. I paid 1000 shipped they wanted 1100 shipped. Whereas they charged another m45 guy before me only 600.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:22 AM

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:28 AM
yea that is true i had called them the other day and they said it was 750 plus shipping but thats not even for the port job just the polishing and some i was talking to said they clear coat but i guess i miss heard as well, i know doin it my self probley wont look as good but its better than that doll look, i know its going to take a lot of time to that why i have all winter to do this, my car is sitting the garage with my motor out so its a good to time to do this project.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:33 AM
hope it turns out well for you they look so pretty polished haha.
let us know how it turns out!

Lols.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:37 AM
Marchi1 and i polished his m62.....lots of time. Send it off to be done!

Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:12 AM
Ok my fautl then on the clear coat

Thursday, November 20, 2008 11:37 AM
its all good

Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:38 PM
Krzy Z wrote:yea that is true i had called them the other day and they said it was 750 plus shipping but thats not even for the port job just the polishing and some i was talking to said they clear coat but i guess i miss heard as well, i know doin it my self probley wont look as good but its better than that doll look, i know its going to take a lot of time to that why i have all winter to do this, my car is sitting the garage with my motor out so its a good to time to do this project.

FYI Dull as in not shiny is spelled dull.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 2:31 PM
ecotecpower wrote:I checked with Stiegemeier and they said 750 for the polish with a clear coat. then another 200 for the port job. Yeah its not cheap but probably your best bet if you wanna go polished.

i think i got their special they were running at the time. i was very happy w/ my xmas bonus last year.

Thursday, November 20, 2008 4:57 PM
A friend and I started polishing his m62 a couple of years back and I must say just send it out.

Proud member of Jbody of Kentucky ... Click on sig to go!
Friday, November 21, 2008 5:42 AM
sorry for the spelling i was typing to fast and missing it, i'm goin to give it a shout and if it dosnt turn out the way i like i'll send it out to have it finish. I was looking at it yesturday and started to sand the surface around the throttle body area and with a med grade paper its working pretty good, i have it pretty smooth already some tonight i'll take my polishing tools to it and see how it turns out before i go on with the rest of it, the only hard part is getting in the corners where the ribs on top of the snot and charger body.

Friday, November 21, 2008 6:57 PM
its not an m62 but im pretty sure gary voyles polished his m45 himself. came out looking damn good but not as perfect as steigemeyer's so ive been told.

You look so much cuter with something in your mouth.
Friday, November 21, 2008 8:10 PM
i'm pretty sure the m45 surface is a lot smoother than the m62 so it wouldnt be that hard to polish the m45, i went out and picked up some more supplies also a 7" polishing pads for my bench grinder. so i hope to have some pics up this weekend if i can get the cam working again.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 11:55 AM
^^^ the m45 surface is powdercoated IIRC.

You look so much cuter with something in your mouth.

Saturday, November 22, 2008 12:50 PM
s1lver_N1p wrote:
sndsgood wrote:depending on how rough it is start with say a 100 grit sandpaper, sand it smooth then go with 200 grit then 400 grit then 800 grit then 1000 grit then a polishing compound and buffing compounds. for the size and time it take to do i'd spend the money to have it done myself.

couldn't agree more. i think Stiegemeier does it for 750 plus they port it. it's so awesome. i got it back in like 1.5 weeks. i've seen some people do it. 05xtremecav i think he did his. his looks pretty good but still doesnt have that extra effort that Stiegemeier did on mine.

Cadwz24 wrote:Marchi1 and i polished his m62.....lots of time. Send it off to be done!

mine was actually done by these guys^^^ cuz i bought marchi1's s/c bout 2 years ago

Saturday, November 22, 2008 2:07 PM
z yaaaa wrote:its not an m62 but im pretty sure gary voyles polished his m45 himself. came out looking damn good but not as perfect as steigemeyer's so ive been told.

I did not know he did it himself. Either way the polish job looked very good. I did not notice any difference between his and the stieg one, so if there was difference it was very small.

z yaaaa wrote:^^^ the m45 surface is powdercoated IIRC.

Indeed it is. The powdercoating must be removed before the polishing can take place. M62's are not powdercoated so this is a non isuue for you guys.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search