Ecotec Build Plan - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Ecotec Build Plan
Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:24 AM
What would you guys recommend for building an ecotec for boost? I'd want to rev to 7200, I want 300whp, and daily driveability. Hahn stage II will be used for boost, I'm just wondering about the engine internals.

1997 Sunfire SE

Re: Ecotec Build Plan
Thursday, November 20, 2008 9:43 AM
I would recommend you read this:
Ecotec Build Guide as Stickied in Performance forum
Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:31 AM
Michael Antle wrote:What would you guys recommend for building an ecotec for boost? I'd want to rev to 7200, I want 300whp, and daily driveability. Hahn stage II will be used for boost, I'm just wondering about the engine internals.

did you swap an ecotec into that or do you have another car?
what size is it?

Lols.
Thursday, November 20, 2008 10:39 AM
for 300whp rods and pistons

get a ported head with an upgraded valvetrain

done

(other than the turbo system, fuel, fabrication, and tuning of course)

Thursday, November 20, 2008 12:57 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:for 300whp rods and pistons

get a ported head with an upgraded valvetrain

done

(other than the turbo system, fuel, fabrication, and tuning of course)

I was thinking Rods and pistons, then getting the patriot stage I head, but I know absolutely nothing about aftermarket valvetrain, any help here?

What's the GM Performance CNC ported head like?

1997 Sunfire SE

Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:11 PM
Buy my car

Forged rods and Pistons, bore it over if you have the money. Lower compression won't be necessary.

Patriot Stage II head is sufficient for 7K.

If your pulling the engine I'd also do balance shafts, flywheel and clutch

Then you'll have roughly what I have.

-Chris

Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:49 PM
I have a newer car. 02 LS Sport, I'm definetly have another clutch out in, I doubt the stocker will last long at 300whp. I was thinking about upgrading the flywheel while I'm at it.
Boring it over was part of the plan. I was already thinking about the balance shafts as well. I've heard they let the engine rev much faster, but they do cause alot of vibrations. Any opinions?

1997 Sunfire SE

Thursday, November 20, 2008 1:50 PM
I'm going to be using HPT to tune , so I'd have no use for the portfueler that come sin the Hahn kit right?

1997 Sunfire SE

Thursday, November 20, 2008 3:10 PM
portfueler does not come in the kit..
and as far as the flywheel id stick with the factory flywheel, but have it resurfaced before you install a new clutch.
balance shaft delete kit would be a plus, what it does is reduce the amount of rotating weight that is used for engine harmonics..
another way to look at it is what boost levels are you planning to run to acheive the set hp goals..with the lower compression you will have to run more boost to make your power and with higher compression, less boost is required to get your power..
and getting a "built" head so to speak, is a good way to get your power. more air in more air out, this is where all your power is made. so do some research to see what will best suite your application..and have fun.

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Thursday, November 20, 2008 7:22 PM
are you set on turbo?
or would you consider supercharger?
cause theres a new supercharger out, harrop tvs, and its more displacement than the m62, so if an m62 would fit on yours you might wanna consider the tvs. it's like 2.5k i believe.
just a thought for you to consider.

Lols.
Thursday, November 20, 2008 8:08 PM
Here's what I would do for a 300hp build:
eagle rods
weiseco pistons
stock head gasket
arp head studs

You could do a cnc ported head but would add $1K to the build
I would do light porting (port matching, ect)
Supertech .5mm larger valves
Supertech 78lb spring kit
Comp turbo cams

You could go crazy with a bunch of other stuff like balance shaft deletes and such, but imo won't be needed for 300 hp.

Friday, November 21, 2008 8:32 AM
daythecountrydied21 ok wrote:are you set on turbo?
or would you consider supercharger?
cause theres a new supercharger out, harrop tvs, and its more displacement than the m62, so if an m62 would fit on yours you might wanna consider the tvs. it's like 2.5k i believe.
just a thought for you to consider.

I Haven't heard of this supercharger. I was debating going with the M62, but it would be hard to reach 300whp with it.
Where can I find some info on this Harrop Supercharger?

(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:Here's what I would do for a 300hp build:
eagle rods
weiseco pistons
stock head gasket
arp head studs

Quote:

That's it? I do want it to rev to about 7200rpm.

1997 Sunfire SE

Friday, November 21, 2008 3:02 PM
No one on the org is running the TVS(on their J), so we dont know how our cars would like it. I would love to see someone slap it on a built L61.

TVS

Its $2500ish for just the blower, you still need to buy the M62 kit to get everything you need for install. A Hahn Stage 2 kit with a 20g would get you to your goals cheaper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Friday, November 21, 2008 3:03 PM

Sunday, November 23, 2008 5:32 PM
Nah, The Hahn Stage II is tried and true. The car has to be reliable enough to drive daily, so I'm going with something that's been done before, not going with anything different.
I know it isn't going to hard to make 300whp, but what valvetrain should I use to allow it to rev to ~7200?

1997 Sunfire SE

Monday, November 24, 2008 6:23 PM
(Tom) S/C Fire wrote:I would do light porting (port matching, ect)
Supertech .5mm larger valves
Supertech 78lb spring kit
Comp turbo cams

http://tunersource.gmblogs.com/Racer-Tech/gm-sport-compact-performance-build-book

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:56 PM
Michael Antle wrote:Nah, The Hahn Stage II is tried and true. The car has to be reliable enough to drive daily, so I'm going with something that's been done before, not going with anything different.
I know it isn't going to hard to make 300whp, but what valvetrain should I use to allow it to rev to ~7200?

hahn stage 2 is great but just curious has to why you want to rev your motor to 7200? if you use the 20g and stock cams its pretty useless to rev your car that high.

ECOtec DOHC

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 8:02 PM
isnt there a gm book that shows you everything you need for different power goals?

R.I.P. Brian Klocke, you will never be forgotten
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:01 PM
Yea, i got a PDF copy from an org member.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:02 PM

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 10:41 PM
isnt there a gm book that shows you everything you need for different power goals?

the book is vague it mentions the three options to make power Nitrous And blower and Hahnracecraft turbo kit
It metion drop the compression to 9.5 and use better rods and upgrade the valve springs. But does not show you how to plumb the nitrous or if you should use dry or wet

Mike what is this cars purpose? Is it for the track? or street car? what et do you want to run? what kind of et do you want to run? figure it out now

if your going to run around on the street and want a factory style package get the gm blower and bolt-ons there is supose to a nice header and cold air kit by Rd-fabs hopefuly

track car i would use hahn he has progress of his Sunfire on webpage also i would get a hold of team green for one of those diffs they look pretty sweet.
I got a Gm blower on my car i like it makes the car a pretty decent daily driver i remeber when i first bought my car and didnt have the blower merging and passing was nightmare
Thursday, November 27, 2008 9:01 PM
You don't need to rev to 7200 to make power, plenty of org guys made power with the stock redline and some boost.

The m62 is capable of the 300whp mark, not sure on the TVS. I haven't seen anything impressive from it on the cobalts and I can't justify $2500 on a blower upgrade uless it's going to get me to 400+whp. I could convert to turbo for that price and make even more power.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 10:35 AM
I know I don't need to change the rev limiter to make that power, but I'd achieve 300whp easier with the higher rev limit. Basically I want something that's very streetable, but theres plenty of power there when I need it. It will see track use fairly often in the dry months, but 90% of it's use will be on the street.
As for cams, I'd be all up for getting a set of comp turbo grind cams, but that will take a lot of power from down low, also, I heard it vibrates alot with those cams, and with engine mounts I'm weary of it vibrating too much to be comfortable.

1997 Sunfire SE

Friday, December 05, 2008 12:03 PM
Can anyone give me a list of valvetrain components that would be good for me?

1997 Sunfire SE

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:57 PM
I think I have something figured out. I know I'll need stuff other than this, like clutch, boost controller, 3" exhaust etc, but I'm focusing on the plan for engine build right now. Hahn Stage II w/20G turbo will be used for boost.
Heres what I came up with. I know I don't NEED the tubular manifold or the 2.4 eco intake manifold to meet my goals, but boost is addictive, and I may want more in the long run.

Forged Connecting Rods
Wiseco Pistons (8.9:1 CR, .020 Overbore)
Tubular Turbo Manifold
2.4 Eco Intake Manifold Kit
Ferrea Dual Valve Springs
Ferrea Valves
Titanium Retainer & Seat Locators

My goal is a 300+whp daily driver, that will rev, and make power to 7200rpm safely.

2002 Cavalier "LS Sport"

Friday, December 12, 2008 1:45 PM
Any input?

2002 Cavalier "LS Sport"

Sunday, December 14, 2008 8:17 AM
Anybody?

2002 Cavalier "LS Sport"

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search