Boosting my car tommorow, advice wanted. - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boosting my car tommorow, advice wanted.
Monday, November 24, 2008 6:14 PM
Okay so tommorow my cars going in to get paceperformance's GM SC kit installed on my 2002, 2.2 ecotec sunflower.

There's just a couple questions that have been on my mind...

1. I had 1/4 a tank full of regular gas before I filled up tonight, now it's full with 91 octane, will this be okay or will it affect how it runs tommorow?
2. What if there isn't the option of a 91 octane fuel, or if someone who is driving my car fills it with the wrong octane, is this bad for the car?
3. Break in period. Should I treat it like an engine and keep under a certain RPM and try to vary speeds as much as possible? Or can i let her loose a bit?
4. How often should the oil in the SC need to be changed? And should i order the same little GM bottle the kit came with to refill it?
5. How long is the regular (moderatly driven, no track racing) lifespan of this SC?

And any random tips for a new guy at boost would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance!

Re: Boosting my car tommorow, advice wanted.
Monday, November 24, 2008 7:50 PM
1 You will be fine.
2 If you can't get 91 or better at that station go to another. If somone acciedtially puts it in it is not going to hurt anything just avoid beating on it until you have ran the lower octane out. The GM reflash is a failsafe tune so even if you put the lower octane in you could most likly get away with it, just would not have the same power.
3 There is not one for the sc. Get in it and let er rip.
4 Never it is designed to last the life of the sc. If you ever do refill it use the same stuff you get from GM in the little bottle and only put in as much as you drain out.
5 About as long as your engine. I don't see any reason you could not put well over 100,000 miles on the sc

Random tips always use premium gas. Ask here before you make any changes to your setup.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Monday, November 24, 2008 9:15 PM
Wade Jarvis wrote:1 You will be fine.
2 If you can't get 91 or better at that station go to another. If somone acciedtially puts it in it is not going to hurt anything just avoid beating on it until you have ran the lower octane out. The GM reflash is a failsafe tune so even if you put the lower octane in you could most likly get away with it, just would not have the same power.
3 There is not one for the sc. Get in it and let er rip.
4 Never it is designed to last the life of the sc. If you ever do refill it use the same stuff you get from GM in the little bottle and only put in as much as you drain out.
5 About as long as your engine. I don't see any reason you could not put well over 100,000 miles on the sc

Random tips always use premium gas. Ask here before you make any changes to your setup.

x2. Always premium gas. If you feel other people are going to be drving your car and dont know, find a 91 octane or premium sticker and put it inside your gas door or something...

Monday, November 24, 2008 9:47 PM
best advice... dont lol

boost is fun, and addicting, and can start getting expensive

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 6:40 AM
does the eco not come with the premium fuel only sticker? like the M45

and yes boost is addicting and eventually it wont be enough

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:29 AM
my kit did not come with bottles of oil....i assumed it was already pre-oiled...should I be worried?

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Pacesetter armor coated header
-Magnaflow 22" resonator (p/n 10436)
-Vibrant CatBack
-TTR Upper and Lower motor mounts
Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:49 AM
I would check the oil to be on the safe side.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:51 AM
Thanks thus far for the replies. Just currently waiting on it being installed now. Woo!

So 91 is the octane of choice, but would going higher make any positive or negitive gains?
Tuesday, November 25, 2008 11:40 AM
i would go 93 if not 94 if possible.....
Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:31 PM
Annnnnnnnd they couldn't get it installed in one day

Does installation normally take this long? It just sucks now I have to miss another day of work when I was told it'd be ready late afternoon.
Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:44 PM
Shane Reid wrote:Annnnnnnnd they couldn't get it installed in one day

Does installation normally take this long? It just sucks now I have to miss another day of work when I was told it'd be ready late afternoon.
Did you take it to a dealer? If so, either they are very fortunate to be busy, they did not start on it, or they don't know what they are doing....

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 4:47 PM

should have thought of that before?

its also why I do all my own work.

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 8:58 PM
A normal 8 hour work day sounds about right for someone at a dealer ship that probably gets stopped to do little stupid things

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 9:47 PM
I have heard the eco M62 is a PITA esp. if you have not done one before and I doubt the mechanic has. I could be wrong but I think the book rate for the job pays 8 hrs

By the way I want to know the breakdown of your bill in particular how much the sc kit cost you and how much for labor. I can easily see the total for eveything with tax being about 5 grand!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008 10:01 PM
I'll just say this I installed a m45 on a Z in 3 and a half hours hadnt ever seen the instructions before I started. I read my instructions twice before I started and it took me about 7 to install my kit. With the smaller pulley and heat exchanger install I probably have 10 or 11 total

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 7:04 AM
ecotecpower wrote:I'll just say this I installed a m45 on a Z in 3 and a half hours hadnt ever seen the instructions before I started. I read my instructions twice before I started and it took me about 7 to install my kit. With the smaller pulley and heat exchanger install I probably have 10 or 11 total

No doubt us m45 guys have it easy when it comes to price and installation. No doubt you guys have the better sc though.

Wednesday, November 26, 2008 9:20 AM
Update: It will be ready around 2pm. Wooo!

And yes I will do a total tally up for ya on what i've spent on this whole project (Wade your guesstimate of around 5grand will be close indeed). Maybe the turbo option would've been a better bang for the buck...But my 1st priority is reliability and low maintenance. so i guess the trade off isn't too bad.

Another question...When I was on the phone with my mechanic he said he thought the open to air wastegate was a little unusual design? Or something along those lines, does anyone know what he might be talking about here, i'm pretty lost.
Wednesday, November 26, 2008 2:58 PM
DaFlyinSkwir(LS61) /PJ/ OEM+ wrote:

should have thought of that before?

its also why I do all my own work.

x2, Dealers rip people off with that kit/installation. I believe The Encriptor paid beyond 5 grand when he got his installed including the price of the blower.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 3:04 PM
Shane Reid wrote:
Another question...When I was on the phone with my mechanic he said he thought the open to air wastegate was a little unusual design? Or something along those lines, does anyone know what he might be talking about here, i'm pretty lost.

huh? makes no sense to me.

installing it yourself would have been best, but whatever works for ya. just make sure they didnt cut any corners..
you can run a 3in pulley on the gm calibration and the injectors that come with the kit, but i wouldnt run a 3 inch without a heat exchanger. i made a thread in this forum on my heat exchanger install, the thread is called Compiled Heat Exchanger Information; if you need some info on that its in there.

have fun with it, its a blast; but you do eventually end up wanting more

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Thursday, November 27, 2008 5:36 PM
Okay so all went well got it mid after noon. The guy said it took him almost 13 hours, but only charged me for 9 so that was decent.

Total tally...
Pace performance SC kit = $2,821.47
Border tax = $480ish (recite not on me)
Installation = $900ish (recite not on me)
Total = $4201.47 give or take $50

Today on my way home the snow was clear from the roads and I got to giv'er a little rip. Overall I'm very satisfied with the power increase. I love being able to pull off hard in any gear (even 5th) just from a cruising speed. Although it's hard to tell since my winter tires don't get much grip, and that I have my old stock air intake on for winter. I just can't wait for summer to come haha.

Just a few questions though...

1. I can't hear the whine! I was really hoping to hear that beautiful sound. I've watched video clips on the net and my car sounds nothing like them for some reason. I have 2.25 piping magnaflow dual mufflers with high flow cat, resonator and pacesetter 4-1 header. Is my exhaust just drowning out the sound of the whine?

2. This might go with the 1st question, and related to my post about the mechanic saying something about the unusual design of the wastegate. It's just a little rubber hose that's tucked down in the engine bay, it's about 4 inches long i think, is this how its supposed to be?

3. There is very little room around the pulley and belt, regarding hoses, wiring, and stuff. It looks as if the belt might possibly rub against some of the "stuff" over time. Or maybe in the summer months it might get too hot down there and even melt some thing's. Should this be a concern to me? I am kinda leanign towards getting ad ecent camera so I will try and get picture sin the near future to help explain for ya's.

4. My mechanic told me he had to cut down a corner of the left front (facing the engine from front) part of my engine to help fit the SC in properly. It's hard to explain but it just looks like a corner was grinded down a bit. Have other's had to do anything similar?
Thursday, November 27, 2008 6:14 PM
1. You need an aftermarket intake to hear the wine.

4. Yes, a part of the L61 head has to ground down to install the s/c.

Thursday, November 27, 2008 7:35 PM
Shane Reid wrote:Okay so all went well got it mid after noon. The guy said it took him almost 13 hours, but only charged me for 9 so that was decent.

Total tally...
Pace performance SC kit = $2,821.47
Border tax = $480ish (recite not on me)
Installation = $900ish (recite not on me)
Total = $4201.47 give or take $50

Today on my way home the snow was clear from the roads and I got to giv'er a little rip. Overall I'm very satisfied with the power increase. I love being able to pull off hard in any gear (even 5th) just from a cruising speed. Although it's hard to tell since my winter tires don't get much grip, and that I have my old stock air intake on for winter. I just can't wait for summer to come haha.

Just a few questions though...

1. I can't hear the whine! I was really hoping to hear that beautiful sound. I've watched video clips on the net and my car sounds nothing like them for some reason. I have 2.25 piping magnaflow dual mufflers with high flow cat, resonator and pacesetter 4-1 header. Is my exhaust just drowning out the sound of the whine?

2. This might go with the 1st question, and related to my post about the mechanic saying something about the unusual design of the wastegate. It's just a little rubber hose that's tucked down in the engine bay, it's about 4 inches long i think, is this how its supposed to be?

3. There is very little room around the pulley and belt, regarding hoses, wiring, and stuff. It looks as if the belt might possibly rub against some of the "stuff" over time. Or maybe in the summer months it might get too hot down there and even melt some thing's. Should this be a concern to me? I am kinda leanign towards getting ad ecent camera so I will try and get picture sin the near future to help explain for ya's.

4. My mechanic told me he had to cut down a corner of the left front (facing the engine from front) part of my engine to help fit the SC in properly. It's hard to explain but it just looks like a corner was grinded down a bit. Have other's had to do anything similar?

It would be good if you can post pics.
Thursday, November 27, 2008 11:27 PM
Quote:

1) do you have a boost gauge in the car? make sure the bypass valve is closing for wide open throttle. If so, then the intake is muffling the sound. Exhaust doesn't let you hear superchargers, the intake does.

2) its not a wastegate.. this makes me kind of wary about your "mechanic" if he doesn't know proper terminology. Wastegates are used on turbos. The bypass valve on the supercharger accomplishes a different task altogether.

3) pictures will help. the s/c install is tight.

4) this is normal, its listed in the directions of the s/c kit install.

Friday, November 28, 2008 6:53 AM
2. yes the rubber hose just sits there freely

Friday, November 28, 2008 7:45 PM
Alright sweet you guys are very helpful with all my questions haha.

Also the wastegate thing could be a "my bad" i'm still learning and thanks to you guys and your fast responses at a good pace.

I don't have any gauges installed currently. But I do have them bought. glowshift 7 color series. I took Boost, Air/Fuel, and Volt. Decent choice or should I consider switching one up? The reason it's not installed is because he said it'd take around 3 hours to get them installed and I didn't want to take the chance of not getting my car for another day. But they will be installed over this christmas break.

I am useing the stock sunfire intake right now and that could be the reason im not hearing the whine? Hopefully it's the bypass valve not closing like you said, that sound like a simple problem to fix no?

Oh and he said i was running about 10psi, is this normal for this kinda's setup?

Oh and how do you people change the oil now? The supercharger is RIGHT over where the built in oil fitler is...So far I just changed the oil and added less in since the filter wasn't changed.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search