supercharger oil - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
supercharger oil
Sunday, November 30, 2008 12:05 PM
I got one of the $1600 GM kits off ebay and I got it all installed and everything, now my question is about oil. I spun the supercharger pulley with my hand a couple of times in my living room and it seemed to spin smoothly. Im assuming that means it was pre-oiled, because it did not come with oil, nor did it say anything about oiling it in the instructions. I called who I bought it from and they said he had no idea and assumed that if it works correctly then theres obviously oil. BTW I've drove it pretty hard for the past 2 weeks and have never noticed anything. Anyone have any input? BTW its the M62 kit for my 05 cav

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Pacesetter armor coated header
-Magnaflow 22" resonator (p/n 10436)
-Vibrant CatBack
-TTR Upper and Lower motor mounts

Re: supercharger oil
Sunday, November 30, 2008 5:58 PM
yes it needs oil, there is a bottle from gm you can buy. also there is a torx or hex bolt on the base of the snout to drain and refill it

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Sunday, November 30, 2008 6:02 PM
The kit comes pre oiled. Your fine
Sunday, November 30, 2008 8:27 PM
i would just double check, there was a guy on here before who installed the m62 kit but it didnt have oil in the s/c (which rarely happens), and he started up the car and after 5 minutes the supercharger locked up and messed it all up, he had to get a replacement..

My CarDomain!!! --- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543660
Monday, December 01, 2008 7:32 AM
The kit comes pre-oiled. So unless you've had yours apart your fine. If it didnt have any in it, it might have lasted 5 mintues not 2 weeks. If I remember right the guy who's went bad had been apart

Monday, December 01, 2008 8:00 AM
Ok thanks guys I wont worry about that any more then!! So the oil in there is good for the life of the vehicle, right? My 05 cavalier has 41,000 miles...

2005 LS Auto (Blue)
-M62 Kit with 3.1"
-ZZP S3 H/E setup
-Pacesetter armor coated header
-Magnaflow 22" resonator (p/n 10436)
-Vibrant CatBack
-TTR Upper and Lower motor mounts
Monday, December 01, 2008 11:27 AM
you should replace the oil in the SCer everything 30K but yes it last a long time, however if you start putting smaller pulleys on it then you are gonna wanna change the oil more often. I changed mine 3 times in a one year period but ran the charger hard. The oil is only $8 and one little bottle is all you need. Most GM dealerships have it in stock.

ASE Master Certified Automotive Technician

Monday, December 01, 2008 1:42 PM
If I remember correctly, the bottles are 4oz. each and you NEED 6oz of oil in the charger. So two bottles instead of one. Unless you can find a 6oz bottle.

Monday, December 01, 2008 4:35 PM
To clear a few things up for everyone...

To Whom It May Concern:

I ordered this item over a year ago (Order Number: XXXXXXX Order Date: XX/XX/2007) and still have not yet installed into my car due to a long complicated motor swap between pre-2000 and newer J-body’s wiring issues. Irregardless, I am a frequent member on www.j-body.org which is dedicated to the J-body platform ( Cavalier’s & Sunfire’s) and a member had posted that he purchased the same kit from you (except it was for the 02 ecotec equipped J-bodies) and his M62 Supercharger “seized up” on him right after installation, due to no oil being in the supercharger. Now this was the first time anyone had heard of this issue happening, and has me a little worried about my supercharger possibly seizing up on me since I bought mine from you as well. I don’t know if it is possibly a bad lot from GM, as I know you have no control over this matter, but I am just looking for a suggestion as what should be done to take pre-caution so mine doesn’t seize up. Is there a way to check for oil inside the charger without prying off the seals? I still won’t have the kit installed to next fall as this is one of our business show cars that we need to have ready for a show next August. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Sincerely;
Cody Merle

Mark@Pace Performance wrote:Hello Cody,
I believe this may have been an isolated incident since this was the only customer that we have had who has ever had a problem with a supercharger and we have sold hundreds and hundeds of these kits. GM had inspected all of these parts under warranty and never offered a specific conclusion as to the failure, they did have very little oil in them though.

There is a allen head fill plug on the supercharger gear case to add oil to.

The supercharger oil is 12345982 - 4.5 Oz.

There is not a specific amount of oil specified by GM for these units and I cannot get a specific answer as to how much oil they should have in them per the GM engineering staff.

I would suggest that you should have at least 4-5 Oz oil oil in the unit.

Mark

I e-mailed them about the issue the kid had when he bought a supercharger kit brand new from them. I was worried about my kit I had bought from them and still had not installed on my car, so I asked their were any pre-cautions I could take so I wouldn't have to deal with the same issue the kid had.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Monday, December 01, 2008 4:40 PM

Monday, January 12, 2009 1:23 PM
Hi, I just bought the Supercharger for my Cavalier. And I know the Supercharger itself has pre oil. I just had an idea and say why not buy Oil Adaptor and I know Supercharger has bolt for putting Oil in it, and I was thinking buy 7/16 Oil Feedline to connect the Oil Adaptor to Supercharger. So Oil Adaptor itself feed Oil into Supercharger. I may be wrong but will that save you time and dont have to worry to keep putting Oil in Supercharger ? That way you can keep hitting it and Oil still feed to Supercharger. Cause I know Oil feedline to Turbo if somebody has a Turbo but why not for Supercharger ? Let me know will that work ?
Monday, January 12, 2009 2:53 PM
Ben Rayner wrote:Hi, I just bought the Supercharger for my Cavalier. And I know the Supercharger itself has pre oil. I just had an idea and say why not buy Oil Adaptor and I know Supercharger has bolt for putting Oil in it, and I was thinking buy 7/16 Oil Feedline to connect the Oil Adapter to Supercharger. So Oil Adapter itself feed Oil into Supercharger. I may be wrong but will that save you time and dont have to worry to keep putting Oil in Supercharger ? That way you can keep hitting it and Oil still feed to Supercharger. Cause I know Oil feedline to Turbo if somebody has a Turbo but why not for Supercharger ? Let me know will that work ?

you would need to drain it as well from the Supercharger. you can't just force oil up into the housing and not expect it to drain.

Monday, January 12, 2009 3:48 PM
Ben Rayner wrote:Hi, I just bought the Supercharger for my Cavalier. And I know the Supercharger itself has pre oil. I just had an idea and say why not buy Oil Adaptor and I know Supercharger has bolt for putting Oil in it, and I was thinking buy 7/16 Oil Feedline to connect the Oil Adaptor to Supercharger. So Oil Adaptor itself feed Oil into Supercharger. I may be wrong but will that save you time and dont have to worry to keep putting Oil in Supercharger ? That way you can keep hitting it and Oil still feed to Supercharger. Cause I know Oil feedline to Turbo if somebody has a Turbo but why not for Supercharger ? Let me know will that work ?

I could be such a dick head but rather let me not become the common org member and lend a hand.

A. The supercharger, most have never even changed the oil on the m62 unit with lsj's. Gm says it is doesn't need maintenance, which I agree is wrong so I'd aim for atleast 50k on the stock pulley maybe even 100 k if you aren't always beating on it.

B. Motor oil and your supercharger's oil are two different things, lol if that was the case why would people buy the small 5 oz container from gm for 8 bucks.

C. not to be an ass but if you just bought the kit and the adapter plate was a legit question....then I'd let gm install and maintenance the blower.

Monday, January 12, 2009 3:52 PM
haha cant wait to get mine installed!

Tuesday, January 13, 2009 8:56 AM
Ok, no problem. Thanks for the advises. I just wanted to make sure. I don't have to worry about mess up my Supercharger. I'll keep that in mind and nobody is a dickhead. LOL!
Wednesday, January 14, 2009 7:02 PM
just bought a bottle of the GM supercharger oil and it cost me $4.54 CDN taxes in from my dealer

not expensive at all i would check to see if you got oil in it just open the fill hole and tilt it and look for the oil.

JBO since July 30, 2001
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search