Help On a 2.2 eco boost - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Help On a 2.2 eco boost
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 12:23 AM
Okay my question is a bit mixed so I really don't know what to search for so I am asking you guys, which probobly know a sh*t load more than I do about boosting a car.

Here's the run down-

I found a 2003 2.2 eco cavy. My question is will it being automatic trans., complicate with a possible M62/ turbo install over the common manual?

Let me say that I am not Boosting to get maximun PSI, or any of that. I just want a automatic cruiser that I can daily drive. But have a little bit of boost to give it some get up and go.

Basically my question is can a take an M62 kit, or turbo kit. Add that to a 03 cav with an auto transmission.

My main reasoning is there anything special you have to do since it's automatic not stick like when reflashing the ECU and such.

Yes and I know stick is better than auto, but I am just looking for a boosted cruiser.

Thanks in advance for any insight that could help me out.

" Aint nothin' but a Peanut!"

Re: Help On a 2.2 eco boost
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 12:30 AM
Quote:

Auto transmissions hold up to boost better than manual transmissions. Especially the Isuzu, they seem to have a tendency for the differential to self destruct. Your axles and CV's are also weak points.

I also picked this up reading though every sticky, so the auto trans would hold up. Are there any special mods that you need to do just because it's auto?

Sorry for the flood of questions, I'd rather get help or even bashed on here than blow a damn motor up

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:52 AM
If you were considering the Hahn turbo kit you will need to have the charge pipes remade. This is due to the physical size of the auto being to big to run the pipes where they do. For this reason they sell it for the manual trans only. You can make it work by redoing the charge pipes as I know someone else on here has.

As long as you do not have any problems with your auto now you should be fine.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 11:44 AM
My car is an auto and i turbo'ed it before and it worked perfectly fine, I pieced my own turbo kit and bought universal Intercooler piping kit from ebay and cut it up myself, boost was great, auto with boost is good because you don't "lose" boost with an auto because the transmission shifts automatically, and you don't need to lift your foot off the gas, compared to a manual where you have to lift your foot off the gas, clutch, shift, then gas again..

I would recommend a auto transmission cooler from B&M or something for like $70 just to be safe and keep the auto trans temp down.

But if you want reliability i would go with the M62 supercharger kit, which is what i am doing right now, but instead of buy a $3000 kit from GM, im taking a m62 kit off of a stock cobalt SS, which is ALOT cheaper and actually better than a plain GM M62 kit because the cobalt SS comes with the Heat exchanger upgrade, which is like a intercooler in a turbo setup.

I have a 2005 L61 Eco Sunfire, same engine as your 2003 Eco cavy

My CarDomain!!! --- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543660
Tuesday, December 02, 2008 12:34 PM
Thanks guys really appreciate the help.

I am honestly thinking a super charger route will be good for me. Also the trans cooler was something I over looked thanks for that.

Now I will just do some more research and reading and post anything I am having trouble with here.

Against, appreciate the input guys.

Tuesday, December 02, 2008 5:04 PM
No problem, glad that i can help ya out..

I am going to use a stock Cobalt SS supercharger kit and put that on my car, if you want to do the same, i can let you know how my turns out..

My CarDomain!!! --- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543660
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:44 AM
LiTCaV (The Bright One) wrote:

Let me say that I am not Boosting to get maximun PSI, or any of that. I just want a automatic cruiser that I can daily drive. But have a little bit of boost to give it some get up and go.

ha yea you say this now.. just wait until your boosted

auto will be fine

12.33 @ 111.67 mph [Oct 2009]
Dyno'd on 08/02/09 - Mustang Dyno:
327.6 WHP 333.6 WTQ [10.1 AFR]
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:45 AM
evilmonkitar wrote:

ha yea you say this now.. just wait until your boosted

exactly. i said the same exact thing and now i want more and more haha

M62 KIT for sale PM ME
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search