Boosted 2200 help - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boosted 2200 help
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:27 AM
I've been throwing around the idea to boost my sedan. It is a 2000 w/ 2200 and a 3spd. If I happen to boost I would like to keep it under 8lbs, just for the fact of not tearing into the motor. I would like to keep it as a low budget...$1000-$1500 if possible for ALL parts needed.
Could someone come up with a list of needed parts and difficulty of a 2200 install. I don't know much of anything about boost, but figured it would be a good project for when I park the car next year.
Thanks

Re: Boosted 2200 help
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:31 AM
are you adding tuning into your original budget?

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:33 AM
BTW here is a generic list

http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=40&i=56976&t=56976

and how hard to install really depends on your skill level

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:38 AM
tuning is in there, as long as it doesn't break the bank
this is more of a feeler for me, i'd like to do it, but if it ends up costing a lot...then i might scrub it.

my skill level, well not too high, i know my way around a motor, but never really dug into mine that I have. Always willing to learn, and have a few people help.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:44 AM
your major items will be the trubo and the tuning. the rest is not really all that expensive.

you can find cast turbo mani's fairly cheap. (just shy over $100 new)
BOV range in price depending what you want (though if you want to be on a huge budget rumor has it you can use a 1st gen dsm BOV...people generally give those away)
intercoolers can be had for a decent price (from $100 to way too much)
charge pipes you can get a kit for..might take a bit of thinking though
waste gate i see them online for $200-$300 all the time
ect

if you take your time you can find everything. might just take some looking on here, craigslist on ebay (if you know what you are looking for)

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:45 AM
for the BOV, i'd like something to make it noticeable that I have a turbo, but not crazy loud.
I just hope this isn't too big of a project to tackle. Could I run stock exhaust for a while too? or would this constrict too much.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:48 AM
SLOCAV wrote:for the BOV, i'd like something to make it noticeable that I have a turbo, but not crazy loud.
I just hope this isn't too big of a project to tackle. Could I run stock exhaust for a while too? or would this constrict too much.

exhaust i would personally keep the stock. you could get a cheaper cat back ($100-$200) magnaflow or catco cat ($80ish) and get a downpipe made...in my opinion it would be worth it.

don't forget about a wideband 02 sensor as well

look around on youtube and google. i am sure there are a ton of video's on BOV sounds.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:52 AM
alright thanks for helping me out so far.
generally speaking, what does a tune usually cost. Keep in mind it would be for a daily driver, but for some fun at times.
I have stock piping all the way back to a dynomax super turbo right now, and love the sound.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:54 AM
SLOCAV wrote:alright thanks for helping me out so far.
generally speaking, what does a tune usually cost. Keep in mind it would be for a daily driver, but for some fun at times.
I have stock piping all the way back to a dynomax super turbo right now, and love the sound.

you'll be ok with that for now just look into upgrading it.. (since some will have to fab a downpipe for you)

tuning $300-$600. Depends who you know (that is a rough guess)

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 10:58 AM
ouch, thats gonna take a hit to the budget right there.
so in total what do you guess?

and if you wouldn't mind, doesn't have to be right now. A few links to the parts I need, being I am just new to boost.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 11:12 AM
lemme find some generic links for you

now i didn't look long so don't freak out lol but see new

http://www.turboelements.com/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=16

compared to used

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Garrett-T3-T4-60trim-Turbo_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33742QQihZ014QQitemZ330290104238QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

intercoolers...well they range ALOT from style to size to brand name ect.

you can buy them here

just have your measurments first

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/intercooler_W0QQQ5ftrkparmsZ72Q253A543Q257C65Q253A12Q257C39Q253A1QQ_trksidZp4506Q2ec0Q2em245QQ_sopZ2QQ_scZ1

and all teh way to something like this

http://www.nolimitmotorsport.com/precision-turbo/intercoolers.html?Air-Air

(do your homework here. prices range HUGELY)

wastegate
http://www.frsport.com/Tial-38mm-External-Wastegate_p_1252.html

mani (again do some homework)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/95-02-CAVALIER-S10-SUNFIRE-2-2L-CAST-T3-TURBO-MANIFOLD_W0QQitemZ110320686446QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item110320686446&_ trksid=p4506.c0.m245&_trkparms=65%3A2|39%3A1|240%3A1318

or

http://www.vulcanturbo.com/GMmanifolds.html

injectors i am not sure off the top of my head on what size and FMU well i will let someone else do that part...i can't remember whcih one i wanted to show you the link of

fuel pump you can go with this
http://www.j-body.org/forums/read.php?f=2&i=410648&t=410648

ect

here is the general list. just look around on what other people have here and it will give you alot of ideas..

Quote:

The GENERAL list for a turbo'd J is this:

Turbo (generally a T3 or T3/T4 will do)
Wastegate (Internal or external)
Manifold
Turbo downpipe Flange
Bolts for turbo and downpipe flange
Downpipe
Braided oil lines with fittings
2.5" Pipe for charge pipes
Connectors and clamps for pipes
BOV and flange
FMU (I'd go cartech adjustable personally)
Bigger Injectors (if you plan to run over 6lbs of boost)
Inline/In tank pump
Boost controller (I'd go Greddy Profec)
MSD-DIS 2 (To turn back timing if you want anything over 6bs really)
TB Plenum
Lots of misc vaccum hose
Rubber Fuel lines for FPR
Oil and oil filter (for the obvious reason)
Gaskets
Gasket sealer
Air filter
Intercooler (optional, but worth it)
Some spare metal brackets for custom mounting the Intercooler
Misc bolts (self tapping), and Nut/bolt combos
Gauge pod
Boost Gauge, EGT gauge (optional but smart to have one)
(If you have a profec boost controller the boost gauge is unnecessary as its built in)

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 11:21 AM
so I am going to need a different fuel pump?

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 11:23 AM
generally yea so that it can keep up with the demand of more fuel to the bigger injectors....BUT if you are running a small system it MIGHT be possible to keep the stock one...but really i have no clue

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 4:43 PM
so far I like the sound of the Greddy type s or hkks (spl?)

will I need a boost controller then? Or what is the maximum amount I can push without a fuel pump needed?
This is just hopefully going to be a low budget build.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 6:11 PM
those are both nice BOV...and i am not sure on teh fuel pump...really you may not know till you are trying to tune it

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:38 PM
Could the age of the engine play a factor in this? 100,000 miles and almost a 9 year old car? Anything I want to look into? I've kept up with typical maintenance.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:43 PM
until you're more comfortable with the engine, and how a turbo system works I wouldn't buy anything.

You're already doing the first steps (learning)

pick up a few turbo magazines, and read up. The more you look into how other people do things, you'll get better ideas on how to setup your own turbo system.

DO NOT spend a dime until you have a plan.. this is the easiest way to screw yourself in the long run. Don't let excitement get the best of you.

Tuning is imperative too. Do not skimp on anything with a turbo system, you only decrease the life of your engine when you do this.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 7:59 PM
this would be a first time build for me on anything really.
Sorry if I seem like I'm going to need to hold someones hand through this, but it is pretty much true.
I'd rather not damage the motor, so I'm going to find someone that is reliable with tuning.
As I said though, this won't happen until next year, but I would like to do this while it is parked away for about 3 months during the winter, which gives me enough time to do this.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search