Boost and tune inssues FYI - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Boost and tune inssues FYI
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:15 PM
I took my car to a very reputable and experienced tuner that has been dealing with HPT since it came out. After trying to tune the car and talking to HPT they said a good tune with clear resolution can't be done with out an FMU. Additionally the car runs lean in 4th at the top end with a 3.0 pulley said it was possibly fuel pressure or fuel pump. All the details I don't know or I would be tuning the car myself. Just a FYI for those of you running similar setups.

Re: Boost and tune inssues FYI
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:38 PM
wow. i've got an FMU and a racetronix fuel pump. i'm set. i bet you are goin to get a lot of disbelief from other s/c'd guys. get your FMU and lmk how it is.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:40 PM
DAMN GM to Hell and their @!#$ty S/C Reflash!

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 3:53 PM
BlackEco wrote:DAMN GM to Hell and their @!#$ty S/C Reflash!

huh? the reflash has nothing to do with it... if he's tuning with hpt the flash cant be in there. if he needs an fmu the flash isnt there either.

You look so much cuter with something in your mouth.
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 4:04 PM
z yaaaa wrote:

huh? the reflash has nothing to do with it... if he's tuning with hpt the flash cant be in there. if he needs an fmu the flash isnt there either.

I think he was referring to the fact that GM locked the eco s/c reflash. If we were able to tune it like the 2.4 guys do with the 2.4 s/c reflash, then things would be a lot easier for us eco guys

http://jbok.org
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 5:49 PM
I gave the shop both a the GM reflashed ecu and a "virgin" ecu which they will still need a standalone. it will be about two weeks the shop tuners are being flown to work with Mustang Dyno for a few days and then will come back to work on my car. I will up date when its done...hopefully I won't snap rods in the process.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 5:57 PM
imacav wrote:
z yaaaa wrote:

I think he was referring to the fact that GM locked the eco s/c reflash. If we were able to tune it like the 2.4 guys do with the 2.4 s/c reflash, then things would be a lot easier for us eco guys

Bingo

HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 6:01 PM
Jbdy04 wrote:I gave the shop both a the GM reflashed ecu and a "virgin" ecu which they will still need a standalone. it will be about two weeks the shop tuners are being flown to work with Mustang Dyno for a few days and then will come back to work on my car. I will up date when its done...hopefully I won't snap rods in the process.
oops hit enter too fast...anyway with some further explaining the re-flash runs speed density but can only handle so much...a stock ecu is alpha n and can't be converted with hpt. An addition problem is the map sensor and since the car doesn't have a mass airflow sensor causes more problems. I am no tuner and all this is second hand I am just trying through some info to help those out thinking about doing similar things to their cars.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 8:18 PM
Jbdy04 wrote:
Jbdy04 wrote:I gave the shop both a the GM reflashed ecu and a "virgin" ecu which they will still need a standalone. it will be about two weeks the shop tuners are being flown to work with Mustang Dyno for a few days and then will come back to work on my car. I will up date when its done...hopefully I won't snap rods in the process.
oops hit enter too fast...anyway with some further explaining the re-flash runs speed density but can only handle so much...a stock ecu is alpha n and can't be converted with hpt. An addition problem is the map sensor and since the car doesn't have a mass airflow sensor causes more problems. I am no tuner and all this is second hand I am just trying through some info to help those out thinking about doing similar things to their cars.

This is all completely new information!!!!!

-Chris-

-Sweetness-
-Turbocharged-
Slowly but surely may some day win this race...
Wednesday, December 03, 2008 8:32 PM
SweetnessGT wrote:
This is all completely new information!!!!!

-Chris-

now now, be nice,
he already said he is no tuner by any means.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 8:53 PM
I have spent stupid amount of hours on this site looking for this kind of info but obviously I have nothing better to do then spend thousands of dollars on a dead platform. silly me.

Wednesday, December 03, 2008 9:03 PM
I'm not doubting this.
But your post that sweetnessGT replied to is info that everybody that knows their a$$ from their elbow on this site should know.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 5:40 AM
Then why are so many people running a 3" pulley without a stand alone if it is such common knowledge? The car is running 13 pushing 14 AFR at the top of 4th gear while running really rich at the bottom...GM re-flash speed density can't adjust for what little boost I am running even though everyone I talked to on here said it should work and many others where planning on running the same set up. For those of us who don't know our ass from our elbow I am trying to let them know don't waist your money.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:19 AM
Jbdy04 wrote:Then why are so many people running a 3" pulley without a stand alone if it is such common knowledge? The car is running 13 pushing 14 AFR at the top of 4th gear while running really rich at the bottom...GM re-flash speed density can't adjust for what little boost I am running even though everyone I talked to on here said it should work and many others where planning on running the same set up. For those of us who don't know our ass from our elbow I am trying to let them know don't waist your money.

Because what the guys at the shop didn't tell you is it is more than possible to make it work with the stock alpha-n programming. You are going to lose efficiency in some places but if you are just trying to make the car run well for drag purposes its no problem and has been done many times over.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:25 AM
BlackEco wrote:
Jbdy04 wrote:Then why are so many people running a 3" pulley without a stand alone if it is such common knowledge? The car is running 13 pushing 14 AFR at the top of 4th gear while running really rich at the bottom...GM re-flash speed density can't adjust for what little boost I am running even though everyone I talked to on here said it should work and many others where planning on running the same set up. For those of us who don't know our ass from our elbow I am trying to let them know don't waist your money.

Because what the guys at the shop didn't tell you is it is more than possible to make it work with the stock alpha-n programming. You are going to lose efficiency in some places but if you are just trying to make the car run well for drag purposes its no problem and has been done many times over.

Exactly what I've been saying. I still don't understand why they are hellbent on going with a standalone for the car when it obviously isn't necessary. Unless they are just trying to rape you for more money.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:33 AM
Shadowfire wrote:
BlackEco wrote:

Exactly what I've been saying. I still don't understand why they are hellbent on going with a standalone for the car when it obviously isn't necessary. Unless they are just trying to rape you for more money.

wouldn't be the first time

Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:40 AM
You said they aren't at the shop now? I was thinking about calling and talking to Ian.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 6:55 AM
They are now they won't be next week. I don't think these guys are out to get me with all the business they have...and I really don't want any parameters to not be running efficiently I prefer the optimal set up.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 7:01 AM
sorry but I call bull@!#$ lol.
If you know how to work the histograms correctly an FMU IS NOT NECESSARY.

Thursday, December 04, 2008 7:16 AM
If you have Emissions testing where you are at I would not go standalone. While a Standalone would be the best answer to this, it is definitly not needed. Most tuners that deal with better PCMs (LSx, LSJ,LNF, Ford Stuff) generally don't see Alpha N. When they do run across it they usually get the WTF look on their face when they finally realize whats going on after they have been trying to tune what they think is a speed density file. While Alpha N is not most ideal for FI applications, it can be used with success.

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Thursday, December 04, 2008 7:24 AM
lol if only you lived closer

Saturday, January 03, 2009 8:09 AM
Update. The shop was able to figure it out and did not use a stand alone. Their experience with difficult ecu's led them to believe they where going to need a stand alone. If you need a tune I would def give these guys a call.

Saturday, January 03, 2009 9:18 AM
So what'd they end up doing?

Saturday, January 03, 2009 9:31 AM
Appalachian Performance

Saturday, January 03, 2009 9:44 AM
Get your car away from these bozos.... I think they just want to sell you a stand alone.

Even on the stock pump I was just fine without an FMU using the stock map and hp tuners. We all know the eco reflash can't be altered, hpt either can't or won't do it. With the 1 bar map sensor you just tune the car like a larger displacement engine. You have the same boost all across the rpm band so it's not like a turbo having to deal with different boosts and different loads, that I could understand.

I still don't have an FMU and my eco s/c probably has more mods than most... Only issue I have with hpt is really timing at this point.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search