cobalt ss 2.0 turbo to a 2.2 eco cav - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
cobalt ss 2.0 turbo to a 2.2 eco cav
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 9:26 AM
Is it possible to strip a 2.0 turbo of its turbo setup and bolt it onto a 2.2 eco.

Re: cobalt ss 2.0 turbo to a 2.2 eco cav
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 9:37 AM
I don't want to actually pull it off cause Im s/c ing my car but I just want to know if its possible.
Tuesday, December 09, 2008 1:05 PM
yes it can. i have to keep a secret tho if he hasn't mentioned it on the forums already. the supporting pieces may not work for it tho.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 11:23 AM
yes it will........its like the saab setup............only a bigger turbo......it clears ive seen it

swapped, supercharged, intercooled, 2.9, fun
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 12:13 PM
Now all we need is another generation of Riceboys to put those LNFs in the yard where we can pick them up for cheap. Maybe someone should call GM and convince them to re-release the S/C kit only turbo, and we could get a new reflash. Ohhh yeah then hell will freeze over.

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:10 PM
alright, so since someone mentioned it, it is no longer a secret. i am the one that i converting the LNF turbo setup to the 2.2 eco. i have been working on it for a while and researching it and everything. the wastegate is computer controlled but can get past that with a aftermarket boost controller. if not then you will be sitting at about 8psi from bolting it on. i will be unveiling the setup at the bash and if it does good then i will be selling the kit with custom charge piping and everything. the turbo is alot better than the saab td04 and there is a compressor wheel upgrade for it also to allow it to flow around the 400whp mark and over 28psi and spool to 7400rpm. i will be getting pictures of the setup as i go on it. im going to tune it on the spectre ems but it can be done on HPT also im sure. im willing to bet that the reflash will work to around the 14psi range also. i was gonna keep this a secret until the bash and everything, but i will be there dynoing it and comparing a few things in the setup. if anyone has any questions with the setup then please get ahold of me. sucks the secret is out of the bag now. oh well lol

also all manifolds will bolt up to any eco. it should even be more compact than the saab setup and the turbo manifold flows really really well from the factory, but i will be doing dyno comparisons with a few manifolds even though i will be running the saab aluminum intake manifold and it will be port matched to the head im using. LSJ head with the works with 2.2 forged bottom end. i will be comparing the stock plastic manifold, saab aluminum manifold and a gmpp style intake manifold all at the bash to do comparisons and will prolly have a whole extra kit with me incase anyone wants to buy it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, December 10, 2008 4:16 PM

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:03 PM
Bonnett wrote:alright, so since someone mentioned it, it is no longer a secret. i am the one that i converting the LNF turbo setup to the 2.2 eco. i have been working on it for a while and researching it and everything. the wastegate is computer controlled but can get past that with a aftermarket boost controller. if not then you will be sitting at about 8psi from bolting it on. i will be unveiling the setup at the bash and if it does good then i will be selling the kit with custom charge piping and everything. the turbo is alot better than the saab td04 and there is a compressor wheel upgrade for it also to allow it to flow around the 400whp mark and over 28psi and spool to 7400rpm. i will be getting pictures of the setup as i go on it. im going to tune it on the spectre ems but it can be done on HPT also im sure. im willing to bet that the reflash will work to around the 14psi range also. i was gonna keep this a secret until the bash and everything, but i will be there dynoing it and comparing a few things in the setup. if anyone has any questions with the setup then please get ahold of me. sucks the secret is out of the bag now. oh well lol

also all manifolds will bolt up to any eco. it should even be more compact than the saab setup and the turbo manifold flows really really well from the factory, but i will be doing dyno comparisons with a few manifolds even though i will be running the saab aluminum intake manifold and it will be port matched to the head im using. LSJ head with the works with 2.2 forged bottom end. i will be comparing the stock plastic manifold, saab aluminum manifold and a gmpp style intake manifold all at the bash to do comparisons and will prolly have a whole extra kit with me incase anyone wants to buy it.

you change your mind too @!#$ much

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:12 PM
Badass Bonnett, now just change your mind before the Bash

Mitsu TD06-20g |3" Turbo-back Exhaust | 61mm Bored TB |
HP Tuners | Innovate WB02 | Spec Stage 3 | Team Green LSD | TurboTech Upper | Full Addco Sways | Sportlines & Yellows |
Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:13 PM
ive been on this idea since before i got home. if i can get ti to work good and run over 375whp and with my built auto and right DR's and seat time, i think 11's are fully capable. there is no changing my mind this time on this idea, its unique and nobody has done it yet outside of the LNF area

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:28 PM
Bonnett wrote:alright, so since someone mentioned it, it is no longer a secret. i am the one that i converting the LNF turbo setup to the 2.2 eco. i was gonna keep this a secret until the bash and everything, but i will be there dynoing it and comparing a few things in the setup. if anyone has any questions with the setup then please get ahold of me. sucks the secret is out of the bag now. oh well lol

no one mentioned any names, brandon until you did. haha. good luck w/ the build. i'm sure i'll be over there.

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 5:38 PM
since someone mentioned the concept of it i figured id let it out of the bag lol. im hoping to be around the 375whp mark for the bash hopefully. guess we'll see, but the cav is coming back out in all of its glory

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:34 PM
Bonnett wrote:since someone mentioned the concept of it i figured id let it out of the bag lol. im hoping to be around the 375whp mark for the bash hopefully. guess we'll see, but the cav is coming back out in all of its glory

ehh you can try and keep up with eric and me, but it wont happen.

Built&Boosted moar

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:54 PM
thats alright matt cuz the vette will easily take care of that

im not going for all out power and speed anymore with the cav tho, im wondering what this setup can really do tho. if i get a good track times as in 11's or low 12's then so be it. i just want something fun that i can drive alot when i put the vette away

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Wednesday, December 10, 2008 7:57 PM

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:10 PM
Bonnett wrote:thats alright matt cuz the vette will easily take care of that

im not going for all out power and speed anymore with the cav tho, im wondering what this setup can really do tho. if i get a good track times as in 11's or low 12's then so be it. i just want something fun that i can drive alot when i put the vette away

your forgetting about the other car too branden..lol idk if your vette can get mine..summer will tell all..
you need to get your ass down to cleveland this summer, the @!#$ that goes down is crazy to what you'd be used to

Built&Boosted moar

Wednesday, December 10, 2008 8:26 PM
trust me, ill be bringing the vette and cav soemtimes to hangout and see what goes on for night life and everything.

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:17 PM
Bonnett wrote:trust me, ill be bringing the vette and cav soemtimes to hangout and see what goes on for night life and everything.

ill have the 7 liter out this summer too

Built&Boosted moar

Thursday, December 11, 2008 4:31 PM
Matt what all are u gonna have done to the 7 liter. I will have about 625hp all motor and that's before the 250 shot ontop of that

Thursday, December 11, 2008 5:04 PM
i was reffering to someone else, brandoson has it done to, has been for awhile..........but i havent heard from him either

swapped, supercharged, intercooled, 2.9, fun
Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:29 PM
brandonson had the saab setup, not the setup off of the LNF from the cobalt ss/tc or solstice gxp or sky redline.

nobody has done the LNF setup on anything but the LNF motor because it was thought for the longest time that nothing would bolt up and with the turbo wastegate being computer controlled and some other things that it couldnt be done, but i am in the process of putting this kit on a 2.2 eco and seeing what it can do and i have to say that i am excited to actually see what it can do on the 2.2 bottom end and a well massaged gmpp LSJ head. guess we will see spring on 09

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Thursday, December 11, 2008 6:37 PM

Thursday, December 11, 2008 7:40 PM
Bonnett wrote:trust me, ill be bringing the vette and cav soemtimes to hangout and see what goes on for night life and everything.

how the hell you gonna do that.. vette tow the cav??

I keed

Thursday, December 11, 2008 8:08 PM
if i can find a truck and trailor to trailor both of them down there. if not then i have a friend that will drive one down prolly or i will just bring one or the other

Friday, December 12, 2008 3:57 AM
You're shooting for 375 WHP out of the little BW K04? Even with the wheel upgrade, that's going to take some massaging. I own a solstice GXP, so I'm not just shooting my mouth off. People have been extremely happy with 300 WHP out of this thing, so you're gonna have to pull out all of the stops. As you probably already know, this thing is being over spun at about 25PSI and 6500RPM. It's awesome for quick spool and massive torque off the line, but you've set some tall peak power goals for yourself.

Good luck, and we're definately watching!

Friday, December 12, 2008 4:16 AM
thanx oldskool. talking with bill hahn and alot of other people on cobalt and solstice forums the BTF racing compressor wheel upgrade is good for over 375whp and spins without taking a faceplant to 7400rpm, but i guess we'll see. from what ive seen, that new compressor wheel is considerably bigger and there is quite a bit of machining on the turbo parts itself. im gonna see about massaging the turbine housing soem too to maximize flow. theoretically, the 2.2 displacement and the LSJ head well massaged should help but we will see. Hahn also makes a compressor wheel upgrade and he says 375whp should be no problem, so only time will tell. im planning on 25-28psi. should sound pretty good with 3" exhaust also.

any comments or advice are welcomed too

Friday, December 12, 2008 4:34 AM
~~Smile~~ I would love to hear it live, and if you ever make it over to the Cleveland area I would love to see it.

PRND321 Till I DIE
Old Motor: 160whp & 152ft/lbs, 1/4 Mile 15.4 @88.2
M45 + LD9 + 4T40-E, GO GO GO
Friday, December 12, 2008 1:00 PM
no problem md-ld9- i will def stop by sometime once i get it done. i cant wait til its done tho. im just wanting it to work awesome and the setup to be extremely clean. there will be plenty of changes to the exterior and interior of the car too

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search