turbo question - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
turbo question
Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:28 PM
im in the process of buying a turbo for my car but which one is the most recommended one for my cavi its a 2.3 quad and i just want decent power to start off and work my way up the scale? i just wanna know which one is the most used and what brand?

Re: turbo question
Saturday, December 13, 2008 7:52 PM
Go with Garrett Turbos( Ball Bearing).
As far as what size of the turbo and what kind, it all depends how much HP you want to achieve.
Go with Garrett GT3582R ( IF you have the money). Excellent Turbo.

Good Luck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, December 13, 2008 8:37 PM
Sunday, December 14, 2008 12:24 AM
From what I have seen over the years, the Super 60 is probably the most popular smaller turbo among J-bodies with custom turbo setups. I personally would go with a used Holset HY-35 off of a Dodge Cummins instead if I found a good deal though as it will give you room to play. It is one of the more popular diesel turbos among imports. You can find some really great deals on diesel turbos if you look around. I bought my Borg Warner S200 as a "new take-off" off of a John Deer for next to nothing. I definitely wouldn't go with a GT35 as a starter turbo on a small displacement engine though (especially not on a stock 95' quad4).

You'll also have to have a custom exhaust manifold made, as there are no companies selling pre-made Quad4 turbo manifolds that I'm aware of. I'm sure Atomic and probably RDFabs can make a custom one for you, in either log or header style.

I have no signiture
Sunday, December 14, 2008 5:52 AM
you can go to pretty much any scrap yard and get a td05h-14b from an 1g eclipse/talon/laser. they are capable of 20 psi with a very quick spool time. they have internal wastegate set at 5-7 psi if your starting off low. there is a company in ontario making ld9 turbo manifold. darknight-imports is the name and they sell them on ebay for $175us.
Sunday, December 14, 2008 9:08 AM
boostjunkie wrote:you can go to pretty much any scrap yard and get a td05h-14b from an 1g eclipse/talon/laser. they are capable of 20 psi with a very quick spool time. they have internal wastegate set at 5-7 psi if your starting off low. there is a company in ontario making ld9 turbo manifold. darknight-imports is the name and they sell them on ebay for $175us.

There have been plenty of places that have sold LD9 manifolds, even some on eBay. The 95' Quad4, however, is not an LD9. It is an LD2 and the exhaust flange isn't even remotely close to an LD9, so a LD9 turbo manifold won't work on it without cutting of the LD9 flange and welding an Quad4 flange.

Also, a 14b turbo is pretty small. If you are starting with a mitsu turbo, a 16g would be a better choice.

I have no signiture
Sunday, December 14, 2008 1:55 PM
well vulcan turbo said he will build one for me as soon as i send him the money,and as far as the GT35 that will be too much money for me to begine with i want something good and at a decent price like whalesac said so what do u guys think?
Sunday, December 14, 2008 2:22 PM
the tdo5h will be less than $100. but it is on the smaller side. but a good starting place.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search