Best way to boost old skool 2.2 - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Best way to boost old skool 2.2
Monday, December 15, 2008 6:47 PM
Okay guys i have read almost all the posts to turbo an older 2.2. It seems to me the biggest limitation is the stock crappy side feed injectors. Am I right? I have access to a 2200 head off of an 2001 cavy. Would it lower the compression putting that head on there and allow me to run top feed injectors. I have also heard of running a thicker head gasket to lower the compression but where can i get one? I saw an Omni GLH run a cold start injector, is this possible so I don't have to swap a bunch of stuff around. I don't wanna make a bunch of power, just enough to get me in trouble. Thanks guys.

Re: Best way to boost old skool 2.2
Monday, December 15, 2008 6:54 PM
Extra injector controller.
2200 head would give you VERY low compression, thicker head gasket causes other problems, and stock compression is already very good for boost.

11 speaker JL Audio stereo setup for sale:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/audio/52021/

Monday, December 15, 2008 7:16 PM
What would be the biggest issue just swapping out the whole head and intake. I would think that would be the easiest.
Monday, December 15, 2008 7:24 PM
Everyone keeps saying that putting a 2200 cylinder head on an older 2.2 block results in "very low compression"

... but no one gives the exact compression ratio number

If the compression ratio comes down to around 8:1 then that would be about ideal for turbo. It means the engine can boosted to a higher level than 9:0 compression and still be free from detonation.
Monday, December 15, 2008 7:26 PM
As I said in the other thread, it's much lower than 8:1. NOT A GOOD IDEA.
Top-feed conversion = pretty easy... JUST DO IT.

11 speaker JL Audio stereo setup for sale:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/audio/52021/

Monday, December 15, 2008 7:34 PM
I wouldn't use a thicker head gasket. the 2200 head alone will reduce compression significantly. Make sure you use a 2200 head gasket with the 2200 head... do NOT use the older 2.2 head gasket. Use the 2200 pushrods.... the 2.2 pushrods are shorter. If you are using a 93 or older block with flat tappet lifters then you will need even longer pushrods (use part number MPR-326 from autozone) The valves in the 2200 head sit a little higher than in the older 2.2 heads
Sunday, December 21, 2008 8:47 PM
Well if the compression is indeed 7 to 1 or lower (that IS too low).... then I would stick with your 2.2 head..... either that or use 2200 pistons along with the head swap (too much work)

.... personally I have decided to go with a stock 2.2 ( 9 to 1 compression with turbo isn't to bad I guess)... but I will leave the stock injectors alone ... and will be using a supplementary injector controller that will kick in as boost climbs.
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search