Are bigger injectors and an FMU good enough for a decent running turbo swap? - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Are bigger injectors and an FMU good enough for a decent running turbo swap?
Monday, December 15, 2008 7:14 PM
Doing a a turbo conversion on a 2200 ohv....

As far as tuning is concerned... can I get away with a stock ecm with a rising rate regulator and larger injectors?

Re: Are bigger injectors and an FMU good enough for a decent running turbo swap?
Monday, December 15, 2008 8:12 PM
You would still need to adjust base pressure. There is one new Cartech regulator that does both, but most don't.
I tried this and my rising rate regulator broke... bye bye motor.

11 speaker JL Audio stereo setup for sale:
http://www.j-body.org/classifieds/audio/52021/

Re: Are bigger injectors and an FMU good enough for a decent running turbo swap?
Sunday, December 21, 2008 8:24 PM
Ahh yes... what you say makes sense. Larger injectors will spray more fuel regardless of boost or not.

So I did some more research on this.... Depending on how much bigger the injectors are, the base fuel pressure will need to be lowered to a certain level to allow a stable idle (not overly rich). However, even so... fuel injectors do not atomize fuel very well at low fuel pressure... especially larger ones.

I would conclude that idle quality, low rpm fuel economy and emissions will suffer... that bothers me.

I think I will be going with the "additional injector controller" method instead... and leave the stock ecm and injectors alone.
Sunday, December 21, 2008 8:52 PM
WHAT INJECTOR CONTROLLER DO YOU THINK THAT YOU WILL RUN? as i am on this build as well
jason

Monday, December 22, 2008 4:40 AM
Ray Soto wrote:Doing a a turbo conversion on a 2200 ohv....

As far as tuning is concerned... can I get away with a stock ecm with a rising rate regulator and larger injectors?
What year is the car? Your profile is not filled out and depending on the year, there may be much better options...

P&P Tuning
420.5whp / 359.8wtq

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 8:56 PM
jason norwood wrote:WHAT INJECTOR CONTROLLER DO YOU THINK THAT YOU WILL RUN? as i am on this build as well
jason

I just bought the 034 motorsport controller for $280 .... seems like a great value... still waiting for it to arrive at my door step
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search