which car to buy - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
which car to buy
Friday, December 19, 2008 7:10 AM
I am looking to buy a Cavalier maybe a 1999 - 2004 model.
I would like to put a turbo on it.
are some years, or engines, or transmissions better than others?
manual or automatic???
Ecotech or not??
I would like some info before I buy a car then find out I should have gone with a different car.
THANKS

Re: which car to buy
Friday, December 19, 2008 7:14 AM
2004 cavalier
comes with teh ecotec
get the 5-speed manual trans
OR
buy a new ss/tc cobalt those are nice for the amount there asking and 0% financing is going on, well atleast here by me.

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Friday, December 19, 2008 7:38 AM
I should add some more info.
I have a body shop & am looking for a fun toy, I'm not looking to spend a lot on the car (not a new one)
I don't plan to race or go for max power.
I am planning a mostly for looks car with a turbo. (turbo mostly for looks & sound)
I have my eye on a 1999 Cavalier 2200 Auto, it has a body kit allready on it.
would this be a bad car to start with???
THANKS
Friday, December 19, 2008 7:47 AM
tim5374 wrote:I should add some more info.
I have a body shop & am looking for a fun toy, I'm not looking to spend a lot on the car (not a new one)
I don't plan to race or go for max power.
I am planning a mostly for looks car with a turbo. (turbo mostly for looks & sound)
I have my eye on a 1999 Cavalier 2200 Auto, it has a body kit allready on it.
would this be a bad car to start with???
THANKS

Hunt around for a 2000+ Cavalier, either the 2.4l, or 2.2l Ecotec.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Tristatetuners.com
IGOTBANNED.NET
OceanStateDubs.com
Friday, December 19, 2008 8:33 AM
200 isnt the best thing to go with

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Friday, December 19, 2008 10:52 AM
I'd suggest any ECOtec 2.2 or 2.4. If I hadn't gotten the deal I did on my current car I'd have a 2002+ LSS Cavalier and be turboing the @!#$ out of it right now .

Lols.
Friday, December 19, 2008 12:36 PM
If you plan to boost it get a 2000+ with the 2.4 or ecotec. Manual trans would be better for a boosted aplication. Judging from the little bit you have posted I think you might like my car and it is for sale. Please click the link in my sig for details.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Friday, December 19, 2008 1:27 PM
Thanks for the info.
I do like your car, I'd be thrilled with it, but, well, like any custom machine I have my own colors, & ideas.
if I can't build it, it would only be half as much fun (smile)
I'll keep looking for a car.
I thought I could buy a wrecked one, bumped lightly in both ends, that would give me good reason for a body kit.
I really enjoy this site.
keep up the good work.
Wednesday, December 24, 2008 9:25 PM
quick question
have you thought about the cost involved?
if you buy a stick car
Limited slip disasembly and install plus 1200 bucks for a clutch type limited slip
stock eco is safe up to about 240 that realy isnt enough to now a days
brakes on these cars are undersized to upgrade that its going to be at least 2500 dollars
the cavs and sunfires are older now and they econoboxes so they beat to $hit most of there lives road, salt, dents, poor body repairs major pain in the ass.
example i take care of my econobox hose thing off when they throw salt down, i always park far away always washed and waxed. well for all my trouble my car was hit by tha tail light while parked. the rear panel was dented at the tip top. went to a body shop recomended by my insurance company. the trunk leaked twice it might still be leaking. so when you buy a used car you never know what kind of life the car had

my suggestion is save some money for a down payment lease a new cobalt SS or caliber srt-4 or hell Mazda 3\
they got decent brakes, they got turbos they have aftermarket support. and for lazy folks like me who like sip coffee while they drive there is the Hrr-ss

so dont make life harder for self. trust me i got a sunfire with a blower and a trunk full of water
Friday, December 26, 2008 6:15 AM
You don't understand, I could buy a new car if I wanted a new car.
I would like to customize a car, just for fun.
the J cars are popular, cheap, available, & you can buy all kinds of aftermarket goodies for them.
making a fun toy, without using an expensive car.
my theory is when I'm done customizing my car, it would be a little hard to sell.
an expensive car that gets customized is generally not worth much more than normal price. (with a few exceptions)
a cheap car can actually be worth more customized, at least getting a little value out of my accessories.
let me hear your idea.
Friday, December 26, 2008 5:12 PM
2002+ ecotec five speed. You should spend less than 5g's on the car, and you have a wealth of aftermarket support compared to the other jbody options. You have the bolt-on hahn racecraft turbo kit that should be good for ~200hp on an otherwise stock engine. Or you can go custom (and bigger) in which case there are forged internals out there. Plus there is a wealth of knowledge here for custom apps, from turbo headers, to fuel injectors, to HP tuning...

If you want more of a challenge you could work over the LD9 or the LN2, but you will spend more time sourcing/fabbing parts...

Saturday, December 27, 2008 10:01 AM
carnivorous mouse wrote:quick question
have you thought about the cost involved?
if you buy a stick car
Limited slip disasembly and install plus 1200 bucks for a clutch type limited slip
stock eco is safe up to about 240 that realy isnt enough to now a days
brakes on these cars are undersized to upgrade that its going to be at least 2500 dollars
the cavs and sunfires are older now and they econoboxes so they beat to $hit most of there lives road, salt, dents, poor body repairs major pain in the ass.
example i take care of my econobox hose thing off when they throw salt down, i always park far away always washed and waxed. well for all my trouble my car was hit by tha tail light while parked. the rear panel was dented at the tip top. went to a body shop recomended by my insurance company. the trunk leaked twice it might still be leaking. so when you buy a used car you never know what kind of life the car had

my suggestion is save some money for a down payment lease a new cobalt SS or caliber srt-4 or hell Mazda 3\
they got decent brakes, they got turbos they have aftermarket support. and for lazy folks like me who like sip coffee while they drive there is the Hrr-ss

so dont make life harder for self. trust me i got a sunfire with a blower and a trunk full of water

1200 for an LSD? Team Green insert runs about $200.
$2500 to upgrade brakes?????????? ARE YOU INSANE?????
Wilwood fronts and SSBC rears will run you about $1500 if you get em new.
Shop around for deals and you can get anything at a fraction of those costs.

Saturday, December 27, 2008 10:29 AM
I have an 03 Cavalier already turbo'ed for sale if you're interested. Puts down 285whp.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search