Turbo prices - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Turbo prices
Tuesday, December 30, 2008 2:56 PM
Im just exploring different options, what are some of your ideas for a decent turbo either in new or super great shape used, for a good price?

For those who have done custom turbo setups, how much did you spend? Im looking for a round about cost for doing this.l

Re: Turbo prices
Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:20 PM
If you find a Garrett turbo you like, get its part # and I can see what kind of deal we can do for ya. We're a distributor for em.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 3:32 PM
why not just buy a supercharger kit and be done. $2800

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 4:14 PM
shoot me an email i got pretty good pricing plus i can get you a killer deal on a few turbos right now. All 100% garrett. I wouldnt trust any other brand honestly.
Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:31 PM
I has no money right now, so unless you want to send me one of those turbo's on a tab, no can do.

Im just trying to get ideas, so when I do start buying stuff, Ill know what im looking for.

Tuesday, December 30, 2008 6:37 PM
Are you looking for internal or external wastegated setup? I always suggest running external, it far more efficient and safer. With internal your trusting all the excess exhaust to go through a hole the size of a nickel! It gets to be pretty easy to have boost surge or spike with something like that, on a external wastegate your excess exhaust can freely flow through a port about 4 times that size.
Tuesday, December 30, 2008 7:19 PM
Then definately external.

Im not looking for huge power. Just the best turbo for producing under 250 for now, and then able to produce above 300 and above later down the road.

Wednesday, December 31, 2008 1:49 AM
My first turbo setup cost me about $1400 for a none intercooled setup, put about 170-180 to the wheels. My second setup with a stand alone and intercooler cost me about $3000 start to finish and put about 250 to the ground on 8psi. My current build is costing me more then I remember or can afford

What it costs comes down to where you get your parts, how much work you can do yourself and how willing you are to have to rebuild your engine if you do it wrong.

For a low boost low cost setup I'd go with a .42/.48 from an older chrysler. You can buy armloads of these at the wreckers for almost free. Swap on a regular t3 .48 housing (lots on ebay) and away you go. This turbo will max out at about 210 to the wheels, but spools ungodly fast. It is internally gated but is a perfect match for our engines as they come off of a 2.2L engine. External wastegates make more power and spool up faster but if you choose the right turbo for you engine size and pressure ratio you should never have a problem. Every single OEM turbo car I can think of is internally gated. For a manifold if you can't make one yourself there are more then a few places to pick up a cheap but decent log style for under $250. Intercoolers can be had cheap (sub $100) either used or on ebay . It's hard to screw up an intercooler so it's one of the few parts I would buy that was made in China. 1g DSM BOV is the best value for the dollar and can be had for $20-$40. Charge pipes are easy if you can weld and can be made from damn near anything but mild steel u bends are cheap at most performance shops. For fuel I'd run 450 DSM injectors powered by a megasquirt. If you can beg/borrow/steal a wideband for tuning you could have this whole setup for about $1200-$1800 depending on how much of the work you can do yourself. This is a simple turbo set up and by no means meant to win races or impress people. It's simply a cheap and maintainable solution. Boost is like crack but more addictive. The problem with going a route like this is you will eventually sell it all off and start over because you want more boost, more power and more tire shredding goodness
Wednesday, December 31, 2008 4:42 PM
Ive got a nice t3/t4 for sale that would meet all your needs but no tab here lol.
Thursday, January 01, 2009 8:50 AM
im running a garret t3/t4 57 trim, w/ .63 a/r. i hit 225 at the wheels at the bash with a 10.5 a/f on 6.5 psi. if that tells you anything. i spooled full at a little less than 3000rpm. i really like how mine is set up. its completely custom, and all in all if i paid full price for everything i could calculate it out to be about $6-8,000 to have it done the way i do and all the extras i did and bells and whistles. its not cheap if you are going to do it right. hopefully in the spring i will be at about 10 psi and not a 10.5 a/f. who knows the power level but we will see. my only restriction will be needing a fuel pump to go higher and turn the boost up. and well a built motor too. the whole system is good for a lot of power if i REALLY wanted to. just shop around and figure it all out and make sure your dedicated to it before you go out and splurge on buying any turbo part you see.

Saturday, January 03, 2009 11:35 PM
thats a tad discouraging ^^^ not knocking the set up, but for 6 to 8 grand you could have built the motor to handle more power too, not all bells and whistles are needed...
hahn kits could put you at more power for less and its comes with the piece of mind knowing its a proven product

Fire is gone unfortunately! Parts 4 sale, look in Mid-Central...

Sunday, January 04, 2009 2:45 AM
K.C. StreetFire (Casey Schaaf) wrote:thats a tad discouraging ^^^ not knocking the set up, but for 6 to 8 grand you could have built the motor to handle more power too, not all bells and whistles are needed...
hahn kits could put you at more power for less and its comes with the piece of mind knowing its a proven product

not really.... i have a turbo system that i will never upgrade and can handle up to 500 hp no problems at all. and its wicked efficient. and i did a lot of things to make it more efficient than hahn's kit. im running lower psi than them and making about the same power. with plenty of room to go up. i have an external wastegate and last i checked hahns kit doesnt come with 2.5" stainless exhaust. my turbo is a lot bigger than their 16g and spools slower but spools right where i want it to.

like i said, IF i paid full price for everything it was that much. i dont have 6-8 into it im sure.

you say not all bells and whistles are needed, my theory is, if your going to do it. do it once and do it right the first time. instead of having to upgrade a turbo that will mate to hahn's manifold, i can go find almost any t3/t4 turbo and put it on my car. i got all the bells and whistles because turboing the car is a big step and big investment. i spent more on gauges than i did my turbo. i spent the extra dollar to do it right knowing underhood temps will be way down, parts will not rust, parts are welded instead of clamped. trust me, bells and whistles are needed. i feel a lot more comfortable and safe knowing its done this way vs, hacked together as cheap as possible.

Sunday, January 04, 2009 5:46 AM
I have priced a Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo the same trim as Vincents for around $700-800 ( $900-1000 for a ball bearing ). A GT3071r ( probably bigger than you need ) is around $1200

Jason
99 Z24 Supercharged
157hp/171tq - NA
190hp/170tq @ 6psi

LD9 for Life
Sunday, January 04, 2009 5:47 PM
Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:shoot me an email i got pretty good pricing plus i can get you a killer deal on a few turbos right now. All 100% garrett. I wouldnt trust any other brand honestly.

Really?

Not even Turbonetics?

IMO Turbonetics and Garrett are both great brands.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Sunday, January 04, 2009 5:48 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:I have priced a Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo the same trim as Vincents for around $700-800 ( $900-1000 for a ball bearing ). A GT3071r ( probably bigger than you need ) is around $1200

We can get Turbonetics also, make sure you PM us the part number, and let us know where you find it cheapest, we will try to price match.

-Aaron
www.TurboTechRacing.com

Performance Parts For Cavalier, Sunfire, Cobalts and More!!!
Monday, January 05, 2009 12:39 PM
Blwn LD9 wrote:I have priced a Turbonetics T3/T4 turbo the same trim as Vincents for around $700-800 ( $900-1000 for a ball bearing ). A GT3071r ( probably bigger than you need ) is around $1200

damn.....i wish i got my GT3071R for that price.....

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 7:34 AM
I must disagree with the notion that internal wastegates aren't as efficient as external. Our Super 20G has put 2 cars into the mid 10 second range and one into the low 11 second range which could have run 10's without nitrous. External wastegates become more efficient at much higher boost/power rating than this fellow seems to be looking for (North of 30 PSI and 500 WHP). Our Sunfire ran 11.40 with the Super 20G and put about 410 WHP with no spikes.

How are external wastegates "Safer"? Safer in what aspect? I've never heard of any internally wastegated turbos destroying parts or exploding and injuring anybody.

Street-Legal 2003 Sunfire 10.58 @ 139 MPH
Tuesday, January 06, 2009 7:52 AM
I would agree with Adam, internal wastegates wont give you any problems unless you are high pressure.

I like the external for the ease of adjustment without bending/shortening rods, or using boost controllers. Just pop the top off and throw in a different spring, and you are done. Plus I dig the sound of an open dumping wastegate.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 8:16 AM
I don't like open wastegate dumps myself, they are insanely loud and you cant really here the motor purr. In these videos, it's quite obvious when that wastegate opens up LOL.

Vette

Sunfire

I would prefer a boost controller because depending on where that wastegate is, putting a spring in and trying to get all 6 (or so) bolts in without stripping anything may be a bit of a challenge.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 12:10 PM
Adam Hahn wrote:I must disagree with the notion that internal wastegates aren't as efficient as external. Our Super 20G has put 2 cars into the mid 10 second range and one into the low 11 second range which could have run 10's without nitrous. External wastegates become more efficient at much higher boost/power rating than this fellow seems to be looking for (North of 30 PSI and 500 WHP). Our Sunfire ran 11.40 with the Super 20G and put about 410 WHP with no spikes.

How are external wastegates "Safer"? Safer in what aspect? I've never heard of any internally wastegated turbos destroying parts or exploding and injuring anybody.

HAH! This makes me laugh. Safer in a personal aspect.. no. Safer for your engine... yes.

And ive seen turbonetics turbo go junk after just a few weeks of use. Ive never been impressed with them.
Tuesday, January 06, 2009 1:36 PM
Vincent Morris wrote:im running a garret t3/t4 57 trim, w/ .63 a/r. i hit 225 at the wheels at the bash with a 10.5 a/f on 6.5 psi. if that tells you anything. i spooled full at a little less than 3000rpm. i really like how mine is set up. its completely custom, and all in all if i paid full price for everything i could calculate it out to be about $6-8,000 to have it done the way i do and all the extras i did and bells and whistles. its not cheap if you are going to do it right. hopefully in the spring i will be at about 10 psi and not a 10.5 a/f. who knows the power level but we will see. my only restriction will be needing a fuel pump to go higher and turn the boost up. and well a built motor too. the whole system is good for a lot of power if i REALLY wanted to. just shop around and figure it all out and make sure your dedicated to it before you go out and splurge on buying any turbo part you see.

thats alot man, i have ALMOST 2300..

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 2:09 PM
What exactly makes an external safer for the engine?

Tuesday, January 06, 2009 3:53 PM
Have you ever seen the size of an internal wastgate port? ALLLLL of the exhaust from engine after boost level is reached is supposed to be able to go through that? Most lower boost setups hit full boost at like 3k-3500 rpm... that means all the extra exhaust after that point has to go through that tiny port.... It becomes to easy for a boost spike with something like that.
Tuesday, January 06, 2009 4:29 PM
Vulcan Turbo, LLC wrote:
Adam Hahn wrote:I must disagree with the notion that internal wastegates aren't as efficient as external. Our Super 20G has put 2 cars into the mid 10 second range and one into the low 11 second range which could have run 10's without nitrous. External wastegates become more efficient at much higher boost/power rating than this fellow seems to be looking for (North of 30 PSI and 500 WHP). Our Sunfire ran 11.40 with the Super 20G and put about 410 WHP with no spikes.

HAH! This makes me laugh. Safer in a personal aspect.. no. Safer for your engine... yes.

And ive seen turbonetics turbo go junk after just a few weeks of use. Ive never been impressed with them.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought Garrett and Turbonetics turbochargers were both Honeywell products. ... and Garretts in general aren't great turbochargers either, just the ball-bearing variety are.

Also, the wastegate only needs to be as large as necessary to maintain boost pressure. For oversized turbochargers at low boost levels, a larger WG certainly is necessary.

I have no signiture
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search