I want HP - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
I want HP
Saturday, January 10, 2009 12:26 PM
OKAY this is going to be a dumb question. I am going to have about $5000 to spend on my 2005 ECOTEC. I am wanting a Supercharger ($2500), plus I will upgrade clutch. With 60000 miles I will put new rings and bearings, what else would you recommend. I am dreaming of 225-250hp. Also thinking of a small shot on NOS.
The rings and bearings plus clutch I will have a shop do. I will install the SC. I already have a header.

Looking for input and possible parts list.

Thanks for the help

Re: I want HP
Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:08 PM
to be honest if your looking for all out horspower don bother with the supercharger i would go with either
Hahnracecraft.com http://www.vulcanturbo.com/ you gt the Hahn kit from one of the vendors on this site
www.turbotechracing.com you have to email the Owner
Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:18 PM
um for that price you can go hahn stage 3 and have someone give you an amazing tune. upgrade the clutch and say hello to 250+ hp on low boost.
Saturday, January 10, 2009 1:42 PM
Chef Dug wrote:I will put new rings and bearings

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:02 PM
Why new rings and bearings? Yours are just broken in...

4cyltuner.com - Information Source For 4 Cylinder Tuners
Buy stuff from CarCustoms Ebay! Won't be disappointed!

Saturday, January 10, 2009 3:16 PM
Chef Dug wrote:I am dreaming of 225-250hp.

That's nothing. The stock engine can take that without a hint of problems.
Chef Dug wrote:Also thinking of a small shot on NOS.

NAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWS!
Chef Dug wrote:The rings and bearings plus clutch I will have a shop do.

The piston rings and main and rod bearings should be fine... you don't just replace single items when you build the bottom end of an engine, it's all apart anyway so you use all new gaskets and bearings and such. When you rebuild an engine looking for more power you replace the components with stronger ones that can take the power. You'd want Eagle forged connecting rods and Wiseco forged pistons, along with Clevite77 main and rod bearings. Pair that with a head gasket kit (which should include essentially all gaskets required) and you have yourself an engine rebuild kit with the strength to handle a decent amount of power. GUESSTIMATE at $2500 parts and labor. My 2.4L LD9 engine build was $1300 parts and $800 labor for the build and install, but I snagged some deals too.

2001 Olds Alero (LD9)
636 whp / 543 ft-lb
@turboalero
Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:54 AM
Don't replace your stock clutch until it goes. They really are not that bad and should easily hold 225whp.

FORGET GIRLS GONE WILD WE HAVE GOVERNMENT SPENDING GONE WILD!

Sunday, January 11, 2009 12:22 PM
For what you want all you really need is the supercharger setup and a few supporting mods. I see no need to replace the rings and bearings as others said, if you're going that far might as well build the engine while it's out. Your stock clutch will also be fine, mine withstood a ton of drag racing passes and it's end was my own fault.

I'm not sure why you want to run nitrous though, unless you max out the supercharger which I haven't even done yet... I love how everyone tells people to skip the charger and go with Hahn or other turbos. Yes in the long run you can upgrade it but if you're not shooting for 400+hp I'd prefer a nice flat torque curve

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Sunday, January 11, 2009 5:37 PM
The reason many offer a skip from the supercharger is the drag on the motor, resulting in a less efficient MPG. Plus turbos have an awesome exhaust note

Street-Legal 2003 Sunfire 10.58 @ 139 MPH
Sunday, January 11, 2009 7:54 PM
There are benefits & drawbacks to both but mileage is hardly an issue. I can't say I know too many who put FI on a car because mileage was #1 on their list Aside from that the s/c didn't really affect it much except for wanting to put your foot down all the time.

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Sunday, January 11, 2009 8:38 PM
Hahn Stage 3? What's this?

2002 Cavalier "LS Sport"

Monday, January 12, 2009 2:25 AM
Acutally on my LD9 with the mp45 I get the same if not better MPG on the highway now....thats if I have the cruise set and I'm not coming onto it. But who wants 200+ hp and not use it.

Monday, January 12, 2009 11:16 AM
Chef Dug wrote:OKAY this is going to be a dumb question. I am going to have about $5000 to spend on my 2005 ECOTEC. I am wanting a Supercharger ($2500), plus I will upgrade clutch. With 60000 miles I will put new rings and bearings, what else would you recommend. I am dreaming of 225-250hp. Also thinking of a small shot on NOS.
The rings and bearings plus clutch I will have a shop do. I will install the SC. I already have a header.

Looking for input and possible parts list.

Thanks for the help

Your HP goal is reachable with just the M62 and supporting mods.

FYI, 250whp from the s/c + Nitrous = the external connecting rod mod. GM blew a stock eco at 270ish crank hp with nitrous, so only plan on nitrous if you have another eco to build.

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search