Auto Ecotec Oil Return - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Auto Ecotec Oil Return
Saturday, January 17, 2009 1:54 PM
I have been ignoring the turbo build for a few months now and need to get back to it. I still need to run the oil feed, oil return, and finish up the down pipe and have everything coated. My question is this.

My turbo already has a nice oil return line on it that will reach the gurdle location on the Eco. I am iffy about drilling and taping into the gurdle though .

has anyone used the pan and gone around the tranny with any luck? Damn auto's.

Re: Auto Ecotec Oil Return
Saturday, January 17, 2009 7:54 PM
if you were not an auto i could help cant wait to see it working. get a move on. i know i tapped in and used a port on the head for feed. it worked fine for me because i got my turbo feed off of it, as well as the spot for my electronic oil pressure gauge sender unit. good luck, cant wait to see it.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 8:42 PM
Yea I have the fittings and line to tap the side of the head so thats good. Just worried about doing the return line.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:11 PM
Honestly, I would tap the girdle. Drop the pan and drill it out. The girdle has a concave where the turbo return would go.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 9:20 PM
Yea but how big of a tap could I run there? Looks like 3/8 NPT is the max.

Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:17 PM
I"ve never seen this. Could someone post a picture of the girdle?
Saturday, January 17, 2009 10:51 PM
The second half of the Ecotec block.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 2:06 PM
Tap the girdle for sure, from what i've seen of your car you don't like to cut corners so why start now. Plus routing a return line to the pan with a 4T40E is a pain in the ass.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Sunday, January 18, 2009 4:52 PM
definitely tap the girdle. i tapped the top of the pan and ran my oil return around the tranny with ease but tapping the girdle would make it look cleaner and less chance of oil backing up since gravity is the only thing pushing the oil through

Sunday, January 18, 2009 10:13 PM
is a 3/8 fitting big enough for a drain?

Monday, January 19, 2009 11:39 AM
well 3/8 is converts over to about -6 AN

good thing to keep in memory is the AN number X times 1/16= pipe size...

example:

6AN = 3/8

6 x 1/16 = .36 or 3/8

Monday, January 19, 2009 11:42 AM
blackbirdracing wrote:well 3/8 is converts over to about -6 AN

good thing to keep in memory is the AN number X times 1/16= pipe size...

example:

6AN = 3/8

6 x 1/16 = .375 or 3/8

Fixed.

- 93 mph in the 1/8 mile
Member of J-Body Of Michigan.

Monday, January 19, 2009 3:06 PM
kinda sounds like I need to run a 1/2 npt. I have a tap that big just not drill bit.

Monday, January 19, 2009 3:06 PM
Wait the saab kit uses a drain about 3/8

Monday, January 19, 2009 4:47 PM
im using a -10 i believe in my pan and i have a T3/T4, 57 Trim Stage III, .63 a/r and dont seem to have a problem draining. i have a 90 elbow right into the block i had welded into the pan. i have some pics if you want to see. again, granted its a manual...

Wednesday, January 21, 2009 12:23 PM
I have an auto and tapped my oil pan, it was little trouble but still got it done..

My CarDomain!!! --- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2543660
Saturday, January 24, 2009 9:41 AM
almost certain mines a 1/2 inch its been years since i did it though, Tapping the girdles pretty easy. and well worth it. The drill bit can be found at ace hardware. its about 25 bucks i think it was.

208whp 239wtq
13.7 @ 102mph 2.19 60'
Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:31 PM
Sounds good! I already have the 1/2" NPT tap so thats one less thing I guess.

Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:51 PM
I used a stepdown bit and half inch tap. was gona use a bulkhead but had to use a 45 degree fitting since i didnt go around my tranny. i have a new bulkhead if you dont wana tap it

Sunday, January 25, 2009 2:28 PM
not a fan of bulkheads. more prone to leak. hope it works out.

Wednesday, January 28, 2009 8:19 AM
I went to the pan but i have a manuel tranny, if you do go to the pan please please have it tigged, i had mine tigged by a shop for 20$ and it still leaks a tiny bit so i could imagine if you tapped it. That was my original plan to tap it but it was a pain in the ass. Just pay the 20 to get it tigged make sure they do it right idk whats differnt from the auto to manuel tranny but mine hit the axle at first so i had to angle a 45 upwards to make it almost 90 to pull it away from the axle just keep that in mind if that apply s to you good luck.

t3/t4 garret 1/2 return line

Thursday, January 29, 2009 2:01 PM
I have an auto and have tried every damn soultion under the sun....except taping the girdle. there is no god dam room the fittings are always to bulky to work the only way Ive got it to seal was to run it at an angle a few inches to the right of the drain plug. right below the top of the pan. if you want i can take some pictures this weekend. Ive been meaning to throw it up on the org any way. I know people are having issues because It took me forever to get it right. (ask phil)

btw Im using a 3/8 compression fitting with an rtv sealer.

and has anyone confirmed that taping the girdle will even work with an auto??? there is no damn room.

"Kick azz is my boost hero!!! "
Thursday, January 29, 2009 4:38 PM
I can see the spot just above the tranny so it will work. just be a pita.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009 4:46 PM
so tapping the gurdle with a size somewhere between 1/2" and 3/8" would be best? im at this point in my build.

horsepower is the force that determines at what speed you hit the wall, torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it.
Wednesday, April 08, 2009 5:34 PM
Mine was done while the engine was out as a "just in case" for future changes.... and a 1/2 npt was also used

12.770 @ 111.99 Intercooled Eaton M62

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search