Saab turbo kit vs custom - Boost Forum

Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.
Saab turbo kit vs custom
Wednesday, January 21, 2009 10:20 PM
Ok so im going to turbo the eco i just got, but i cant dectice which way i want to go with the turbo setup. I am going to be running the gm reflash i have someone that can do it for me so thats not a problem, now what i am wondering what kind of power are you saab guys making and with what additional mods and how much boost are you running, looking to make 225-250ish wondering how hard this is on the saab setup or should i go custom thanks for the help.

Re: Saab turbo kit vs custom
Thursday, January 22, 2009 1:22 AM
I'm assuming at the wheels?

My personal feeling is custom, it's much easier to get parts, than picking up the saab kit, also considering there is some modification involved in using the saab kit. Money is the huge factor, if that is your ultimate power goal i would recomend the hahn kit. if you plan to push it alot further than that in the future, go custom. i dont personaly recomend the saab kit because you can have alot more for alot less unless you get lucky at a junk yard. just my opinion

Thursday, January 22, 2009 2:35 AM
Thursday, January 22, 2009 8:53 AM
I love my saab kit I'm only on like 5psi but for the 550 dollars I got it for it can't be beat. This kit can be had for less than a thousand dollars

Thursday, January 22, 2009 10:08 AM
i vote custom. i went custom and it was more expensive but way more room to go above and beyond. plus i can swap turbo's easy enough and keep on upgrading.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 11:22 AM
if you are looking for a entry level complete lower maintinence bolt on deal......go saab.

if you want to upgrade parts and go more power in the future go custom.

or go somewhere in between, and get a kit like Hahn.

Thursday, January 22, 2009 4:48 PM
well the only difference will be turbo and manifold right if i was to upgrade the flange will fit other mitzu turbos right? i was talking to my buddy and he said the saab turbo is the 14b flage which you can bolt 16g and 20g turbos onto is that correct?
Thursday, January 22, 2009 7:14 PM
Its not its its own unique flange. But on the plus side, Blouch turbo can modify the turbo for you and to increase some power and Abbott Racing makes a 17t upgrade so I mean there is more hope but alot of people put down the Saab set-up but at the same time I've researched and I only one to two guys off the top of my head that have run custom tuning.

I vote negative on the reflash, HPT is your friend.
Friday, January 23, 2009 8:35 AM
how about using the LNF mani and turbo? It will get you well into your power goals. Then you can source the other parts as needed.

Friday, January 23, 2009 8:40 AM
oldskool wrote:how about using the LNF mani and turbo? It will get you well into your power goals. Then you can source the other parts as needed.

thats what the original idea was, idk why he is changing his mind..

adam, if you are getting that cobalts manifold and turbo then get it. you can have my old charge piping, and intercooler.
thats half the battle right there. plus i have all the right sized lines for the feed and return lines..

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Friday, January 23, 2009 3:20 PM
i cant get my hands on one any more, the kid was going to get a bigger turbo but dont think he is anymore but if he does that will be the plan or ill just look for one in a junk yard. anyone know if the solstice one is the same?

Friday, January 23, 2009 7:14 PM
its the same
Saturday, January 24, 2009 5:15 AM
Adam Lewis wrote:well the only difference will be turbo and manifold right if i was to upgrade the flange will fit other mitzu turbos right? i was talking to my buddy and he said the saab turbo is the 14b flage which you can bolt 16g and 20g turbos onto is that correct?

14b is a td05, saab turbo is similar to the 13g which is a td04.

13g= 1g automatic trans turbocharger.
14b= 1g manual trans turbocharger

Saturday, January 24, 2009 2:24 PM
is the lnf turbo and manifold one piece like the stock srt4? or it comes off?
Saturday, January 24, 2009 3:58 PM
they seperate i think

Edited 1 time(s). Last edited Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:02 PM

Built&Boosted moar
04 Cavalier Turbo r.i.p my baby
2nd place 2009 GM tuner bash qwick 8--holla

Saturday, January 24, 2009 4:30 PM
LNF owner here - they are definately separate turbo is one piece and the manifold is another.

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:17 AM
Oldskool, being an LNF owner.. If I was able to get the manifold and turbo, could I piece the LNF turbo kit for around a grand?

"FRIENDS DON'T LET FRIENDS DRIVE STOCK"

Tuesday, April 05, 2011 7:39 AM
Its possible look at my build thread and look on cobaltss.net for the parts
It can be done for less then a grand if you really look, just read my thread it will tell you what you need

Thursday, April 07, 2011 3:45 AM
Snowman wrote:Its possible look at my build thread and look on cobaltss.net for the parts
It can be done for less then a grand if you really look, just read my thread it will tell you what you need
This. And it's very comprable to a saab set up in terms of price and what you are going to get out of it.

Thursday, April 07, 2011 6:01 AM
Aaaahhhhh. Zombie threadz. Anyways, custom is always the way to go. I did custom with reflash setup. If I ever get hpt I can go FAR beyond the point I'm at in a matter of hours
Forum Post / Reply
You must log in before you can post or reply to messages.

Start New Topic Advanced Search